The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's scorching your groove today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18360)

Pete Zicato 07-26-2013 03:53 PM

So, PW, what's the verdict? Move or stay?

orthodoc 07-26-2013 04:01 PM

There's stupidity on both sides of the aisle, but these idiots clearly weren't Democrats.

Perry Winkle 07-27-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 871534)
So, PW, what's the verdict? Move or stay?

No fucking clue. I accepted two weeks ago. Background check is still pending, so I haven't given notice and could still back out.

We are getting things ready so we can put our house on the market. But I don't know what we'll end up doing. Hard to cut loose the current gig when I like it so much and everything is going so well (I'll be getting a bonus right about the time I will be giving notice).

I hate being an adult. I can't make these decisions.

orthodoc 07-27-2013 10:08 PM

Adulthood can suck at times. Sorry this is hard, Perry. I sympathize.

Clodfobble 07-28-2013 07:30 AM

What does your wife say in all this, Perry?

ZenGum 07-28-2013 07:22 PM

My thoughts:

If you stay, things will probably be pretty good.

If you move, things will probably be pretty good.

In both cases, the combo of work/salary/package/lifestyle will be such that whether or not you are *happy* will be depend, not on the work-package, but on your stance toward it and other aspects of your and your family's lives.

What is it that the new position offers that you aren't getting now? Can you talk with your current boss to see if something along those lines can be found for you here?

footfootfoot 07-29-2013 06:45 PM

Sometimes just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Perry Winkle 07-30-2013 07:09 AM

Background check cleared yesterday. Now to either rebuff the suitor or submit my resignation.

I think I will be rebuffing the suitor, as much as it pains me to go back on my word. (As my inner voice screams about how shiny the suitor is. Probably has to do with all the buffing.)

Thanks for the advice all.

glatt 07-30-2013 07:18 AM

It sounds like you know it's the right call.

Griff 07-30-2013 11:41 AM

I didn't want to weigh in because you needed to figure it out for yourself. It sounds like you know where you need to be.

Perry Winkle 07-30-2013 03:26 PM

Made my choice. Informed the relevant parties. Staying put.

Felt like chopping off a limb. It's probably the right decision. We'll never know, right?

orthodoc 07-30-2013 03:40 PM

My thought is that you make your decision, and then don't look back. It sounds like you know your needs very well. And you've saved yourself the huge stress of a move, selling your house, etc. That's a major bonus.

Perry Winkle 07-30-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 871836)
My thought is that you make your decision, and then don't look back. It sounds like you know your needs very well. And you've saved yourself the huge stress of a move, selling your house, etc. That's a major bonus.

Thanks for the perspective. I'm the king of ruminating on every decision.

Sometimes it feels like all I do is make decisions to keep my bipolar disorder under control. I need the reminder that that's not a trivial or idiotic thing, no matter how limiting it feels.

lumberjim 08-02-2013 09:49 AM

The new controller in our office is scorching my groove. She keeps sending emails telling me and my boss and his boss how many deals are on the open deal list. "Today there are 44 deals on the open deal list and no new deals made it into accounting yesterday." Like she has no idea that when you are delivering 10 cars in a day you really don't have time to bill them and put them into accounting.

14 of those 44 deals were not even on the road yet. Another 20 are all fucked up and can't be billed for this for that reason.... I have worked from 9 a_m till 11 p_m the last 4 days straight. I am really not in the mood for any shit from a jumped up secretary.

I just got off the phone with my boss. I called to yell at him about these emails. He gets it.... He sees me running around like a 1 armed paper hanger all day

he just says ignore her. I would prefer to.... something something something dark side.

footfootfoot 08-02-2013 11:35 AM

Knock knock. You say "who's there?"

Who's there?

Controller. You say "controller who?"