The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What earworm songs are burrowing through your head today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29107)

DanaC 06-08-2013 06:25 AM

What earworm songs are burrowing through your head today?

You know how it is. You hear a song on an advert or a tv show and then that's it, it's there. It might, if you're lucky be a song you love. Or, it might be Slade.

In my case, today it's the song Kiss from a Rose. I watched an episode of community a few nights ago in which Jeff (having been blackmailed into a day at the mall with Dean Pelton) and the Dean sing a karaoke version.

Haven't been able to shift the bastard since. It's just there, in the background.

I was trying to find the karaoke scene itself on youtube, but the best I managed is a fanvid that merges clips of other Jeff/Pelton scenes in with the original. It's still very funny. The ending in particular. But be warned the song is sticky.

Sundae 06-08-2013 07:10 AM

Maybe I should start watching Community.
I do love me some Joe McHale, although I only really know him from The Soup.

He's also one of those tall people who are not actually spidly, so they really surprise you when you see them next to normal sized people and realise.

My worst ear-worms are the ones where I don't really know the words.
So I can't even just sing it out and get it over with.

This morning I got up and started singing Montego Bay, for no reason I can think of. Managed to get it out of my head pretty quickly though. The other week it was Cotton-Eyed Joe. Far harder to shake off.
And it came with dance movements. Using the term dance in the loosest possible interpretation.

ZenGum 06-08-2013 08:41 AM

http://cellar.org/showpost.php?p=867462&postcount=2330

DanaC 06-08-2013 08:48 AM

Oh! now that's in my head, Zen!

DanaC 06-08-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 867483)
Maybe I should start watching Community.
I do love me some Joe McHale, although I only really know him from The Soup.

He's also one of those tall people who are not actually spidly, so they really surprise you when you see them next to normal sized people and realise.

At the risk of derailing my own thread from earworms to Community...

Here's some Joel McHale googness for ya :P

More Joel McHale, with the glorious Jim Rash:

Griff 06-08-2013 10:09 AM

This has been in and out of my head all week. goodly

monster 06-08-2013 11:57 AM

and

Sundae 06-10-2013 10:56 AM

Ends up, you got me, you bitch.
When Diz tramped on my head this morning (need to post photo of "natural" purple eyelid colouring) all I could think of was Kiss From A Rose.

See above; the worst are where I don't know the words.
I've looked them up since.
However at 04.00-ish, with sore, swollen eyelid, all that was going round in ma heid was:
I can give you a kiss from a rose on a bin
[And blah blah blah....]
Light hits the corner of bin

Never did know the words.

Flint 06-10-2013 11:45 PM

Pete Zicato 06-12-2013 01:24 PM

The song from "That Thing You Do".

Sundae 06-12-2013 01:43 PM

You bad man.
Bad, bad man.
I had to go watch it again, knowing how ear-wormed I was back before YouTube existed.

Have yet to see if it will take.
If it does, then I'll blame you once again.
I will curse you with an unexplained tickly feeling on your nose, like you just walked into a cobweb. Not an Australian cobweb of course, as that would leave you minus a nose, an eye and probably some children.

So I see you That Thing You Do and raise you You Stole The Sun From My Heart by the Manics.
Because the chorus seems to repeat itself endlessly.

I was working for CPW at the time, and friends and I (all on staff tariffs for our mobiles) used to phone eachother at random intervals and just sing "Oh yeah YOU! stole the sun from my har-aaart! You STOLE the sun from my haaart! You stole the SUN from..."

Actually I could sing a reasonable "I love you all the same" - to the extent one of my Merry Men had me record it on his answerphone. Til his girlfriend complained...
It was a simple pleasure, but it bit both ways.

Happy Monkey 06-12-2013 03:40 PM

Tim Minchin's Thank You God

glatt 06-13-2013 07:52 AM

I haven't hit play yet, but can't help noticing that in the sample image from the video, this guy looks exactly like Bobcat Goldthwait.

DanaC 06-13-2013 08:00 AM

Have you not seen any Tim Minchin stuff before glatt?

He's marvellous. Very well known in the UK.

footfootfoot 06-13-2013 08:48 AM

Because I am already in hell (not just going) the song running through my head, thanks to a current thread and my propensity for gallows humor, is Momma's Got a Squeeze Box by the Who.

There, I said it.

At least I didn't make a clone thread.

footfootfoot 06-13-2013 09:01 AM

"Love without evidence is stalking."

Minchin is great!

Undertoad 06-13-2013 09:31 AM

I purposefully played this several times and earwormed myself, the first time you posted it HM. It got me out of pawn shop earworms.

footfootfoot 06-13-2013 09:57 AM

Undertoad 06-24-2013 12:06 PM

Sarah Silverman mocks the 20-something club scene songs/videos by making one, with the help of Will.I.Am. (He is responsible for about a third of those kinds of songs in recent years.) Those songs are designed to be earworms, so having Sarah do one is kind of unfair. She is hilarious.

jimhelm 06-24-2013 01:49 PM

limegreenc 07-21-2013 08:09 AM

anything from taylor swift-soooooooooooooooo annoying

Griff 07-21-2013 08:28 AM

Agreed.

Griff 07-21-2013 08:33 AM

Here's my kinda country music.

limegreenc 07-21-2013 09:12 PM

Try a little John Hiatt- Feels Like Rain. The gals will remember the song from P.S. I love you. Great make out tune

jimhelm 07-22-2013 09:14 AM

The Official Video
for this song is quite funny... and rather painful to watch..... so I linked the above because I didn't want to give the impression that I had the video stuck in my head. JUST the song.

glatt 07-25-2013 09:13 AM

Watched this documentary about a guy who was supposed to be the next superstar back in the 70s but who was a complete flop instead. Only to have his music make it big in South Africa without his knowledge or compensation.

A guy names Rodriguez.

Anyway, the documentary was interesting. And they kept playing his mediocre music over and over through the whole thing. Especially this one particular song. So now this song keeps going around in my head. But it's really not that great of a song. Or maybe it is. 'Cause it's stuck in there.

limegreenc 08-01-2013 05:22 PM

the Lumineers 'Ho Hey'

Sundae 08-02-2013 04:50 AM

Training session last week had the Pussycat's version of Jai Ho playing in the breaks.
It annoys me because they sing Jay Ho. I can't get past it.
But blimey it sticks in the old melon.

So I have felt compelled to listen to the real version. Over and over and over again.
And I can't even sing along as my Hindi/ Urdu/ Punjabi is limited to a few words pertaining to food or insults.

One of the many versions/ mixes.
Love me some Danny Boyle (just rewatched the Olympics opening ceremony)

lumberjim 08-02-2013 09:32 AM

The theme song from The Price is Right. Wtf.

Flint 08-02-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 871403)
Watched this documentary about a guy who was supposed to be the next superstar back in the 70s but who was a complete flop instead. Only to have his music make it big in South Africa without his knowledge or compensation.

A guy names Rodriguez.

Anyway, the documentary was interesting. And they kept playing his mediocre music over and over through the whole thing. Especially this one particular song. So now this song keeps going around in my head. But it's really not that great of a song. Or maybe it is. 'Cause it's stuck in there.

He was the "Elvis" of South America, and he didn't know it until he was like, 70. He'd lived out his life doing construction jobs, in like Detroit or something. I mentioned this somewhere before. The best part is: when the reporter asked him if he had regrets about how his life had turned out, it was like he didn't even understand the question. He was perfectly happy living a simple existence in his little apartment, he enjoyed his work, had everything he needed. They did a huge stadium concert in South Africa, everyone in the place knew every word to every one of his songs, and his backing band was the biggest name rock band in the region at that time. I think he gave all the money away.

Gravdigr 08-02-2013 03:47 PM

It's like Bob Dylan, Jim Croce and Cat Stevens had a lovechild and taught him to sing "The Pusher", only using different words and music.

And what in the hell is going on in the background? Sounds like someone running a cat through a ringer while a jackhammer goes off.

Thanks, Glatt, that was awesome.

:jig:

wolf 08-03-2013 11:05 AM

Thanks to classicman, the entire Yes catalog.

Flint 08-03-2013 11:15 AM

Really? Wow. What I love about Yes are the 'intertwining' melodies. It makes my synesthesia go nuts. When I find myself humming a Yes song, it's usually the bass line. That always impresses me when the catchiest melody is being executed on the stodgy old bass guitar.

Sundae 08-12-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 867834)
The song from "That Thing You Do".

I threatened to curse you for this if it stuck.
It did.
Remove your earworm or I will summon my thunder monkeys.

DanaC 11-03-2013 04:07 PM

This is an awesome song. But it has one of those choruses that just burrows right into your brain and then settles in for the duration.

Well...I think so anyway.

Rizzle Kicks 'Lost Generation'

lumberjim 11-03-2013 05:39 PM

Gravdigr 11-06-2013 04:15 PM

For no reason at all the other morning, I woke up with 'Today I Started Loving You Again' by Merle Haggard in my head. And it's still there, in the back.

Don't get me wrong, I dig me some Hag, but, it had been like years since I heard this song. Maybe I heard it somewhere and didn't hear it when I heard it? I played it that day for, literally, an hour or more, didn't work, still there.

zippyt 11-06-2013 05:08 PM

Bloke 11-07-2013 01:35 AM

Old but still sticks in there...

DanaC 11-19-2013 01:26 PM

I had Grav's Merle Haggard track buzzing round my head for a few days.

Then it was dislodged by this:

Sundae 11-19-2013 01:45 PM

Saw that the other day.
Can't 'remember where.
Luckily it didn't embed (famous last words.)
Anyway I've heard enough female foxes scream during mating session the whole premise just made me suck my teeth. They scream like a woman being butchered.

I have an oldie.
Good Charlotte, Lifestyles of the Rich and the Famous. The sire of Nicole Ritchie's children no-less.. Narked me than and does now. Wonder if he still advocates robbing mansions...?

Still, they have a point.
And with two back to back crack high profile crack buying stories in a week I can't shake the line, "And did you know if you were caught and you were smokin' crack
McDonalds wouldn't even want to take you back
You could always just run for mayor of D.C." from ma heid.

Or Toronto, or Methodist Minister and former Chairman of the Co-op bank, which who closed my account when I let it go overdrawn... (yeah yeah yeah, that's grudge talk).

Sing-along.

glatt 11-19-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 883839)
Anyway I've heard enough female foxes scream during mating session the whole premise just made me suck my teeth. They scream like a woman being butchered.

Exactly! I've heard that song so many times in the last three months. Every time I hear it, I just want "suck my teeth" or "punch them in the face." Foxes sound like damn foxes, you tools.

The worst is the "vixen's scream" when it's nice out and you have the window open, and there's one moving through the neighborhood at 2am.

Sundae 11-19-2013 02:11 PM

Hah! Geckering!
Squirrels do that too. I always thought it was trash talking because they have such little Tyrannosaurus front legs.

Clodfobble 11-19-2013 04:03 PM

Minifob brought home some schoolwork about the folk character John Henry. Except in his writing he spelled it "Henery" every time. So I've had this stuck in my head since then...

Lamplighter 11-19-2013 04:56 PM

It could be worse... John Henry was a steel driven m... Oooops, I almost did it again.

Gravdigr 11-21-2013 11:10 AM

My fav line:

Quote:

John Henry's mammy had bout a dozen babies
John Henry's pappy broke jail bout a dozen times

Gravdigr 11-21-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 883837)
I had Grav's Merle Haggard track buzzing round my head for a few days.

I don't know why, but, that strikes me as so odd.

A proper British lass, grooving to the Hag...:)

DanaC 11-21-2013 11:15 AM

Yeah...I know what the fox screeches.

But still the bastard is in my head. It's as persistent as Sam and the Womp.

Oh.

Bugger.

DanaC 11-21-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 884068)
I don't know why, but, that strikes me as so odd.

A proper British lass, grooving to the Hag...:)

*grins*

I have very wide taste in music :p

glatt 11-21-2013 11:27 AM

there was a cute little girl on the train this morning, singing

Quote:

here comes Peter Cottontail
hopping down the bunny trail
hippity hoppity
Easter's on its way.

hippity hoppity
Easter's on its way.

hippity hoppity
Easter's on its way.

hippity hoppity
Easter's on its way.

hippity hoppity
Easter's on its way.

hippity hoppity
Easter's on its way.

hippity hoppity
Easter's on its way.

hippity hoppity
Easter's on its way.
Well, you get the idea. She actually kept going for longer than that.

So guess what song is in my head? "What does the fox say?" Damn you, Dana.

BigV 11-25-2013 07:47 PM

I'd had this damn tune in my head, along with a scrap of a memory of this video for MONTHS, but couldn't place it. It made me crazy, an itch I couldn't scratch. Then Twil and I were watching some program (The Blacklist??? I can't remember precisely) and I heard a horn hit like in this song, and it came back to me all at once!

Thank God.

Gravdigr 11-26-2013 04:22 PM

Was music in some car commercial...it does take up residence in the haid.

Griff 12-01-2013 11:39 AM

Gravdigr 12-01-2013 02:28 PM

V's post reminded me of another commercial with a catchy song. A couple years ago one of the more popular video games (can't remember which, fps-type I think) was advertised with clips of this tune, 'Electric Worry' by Clutch.

Spexxvet 12-04-2013 07:54 AM

Gravdigr 12-04-2013 02:29 PM

Very nice eyes. Too far apart.

I'd call her Queen Bee.

Sundae 12-06-2013 11:50 AM

Bloody Dana.
Bloody fox.
It's got Mum too, now.

After the computer was fixed I had to put the cables back in and manoeuvre it into its usual home.
I needed to check I'd put the sound thingies in the right holes (technical terms there).
"How shall we test it, Mum?"
"What does the fox say?"

DanaC 12-06-2013 03:00 PM

hahahahahaha.

I did warn you.

glatt 12-07-2013 07:46 PM

infinite monkey 12-07-2013 10:34 PM

Hahhahaahahaaaaa! I haven't seen that in years. So funny. God I miss Phil Hartman.