The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Good news, bad news (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16582)

BigV 02-06-2008 04:57 PM

Good news, bad news

The good news is, Tink found my pocketknife!

The bad news is, the remote control wasn't in the couch cushions and is still missing.

Cicero 02-06-2008 05:25 PM

Ooooh damn it!!! What you accidently find is never as important as what you are looking for.

The pocketknife is no compensation for wings, I mean, the remote.

Damn that Merc.

:)

BigV 02-06-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero (Post 430400)
Ooooh damn it!!! What you accidently find is never as important as what you are looking for.

The pocketknife is no compensation for wings, I mean, the remote.

Damn that Merc.

So, Cicero, what is your good news, and what is your bad news? Something like this?

The bad news is no wings.

The good news is I get to blame Merc.

Or words to that effect... :)

Elspode 02-06-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 430387)

The bad news is, the remote control wasn't in the couch cushions and is still missing.

I go absolutely insane when I can't find either my knife or my remote. Sometimes I think I'd rather lose a body part than either of those.

Cicero 02-06-2008 05:51 PM

Good news: Someone has good news.
Bad news: That person isn't me.

SteveDallas 02-06-2008 09:15 PM

Good news: My computer is working now.
Bad news: It hadn't worked for the last 24 hours due to some kind of hard disk corruption.

Good news: My mobile phone finally came. (Used, off ebay.)
Bad news: It appears to never have been cancelled from its last owner.

classicman 02-07-2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 430453)
Good news: My mobile phone finally came. (Used, off ebay.)
Bad news: It appears to never have been cancelled from its last owner.

Good news: Thats like getting free minutes though - - - - right?
Bad news: Unless it was stolen........ :(

SteveDallas 02-07-2008 09:22 AM

Further investigative work suggests that it belongs to the account of a company that operates pizza delivery franchises, and has a relatively large number of phones. The incoming & Outgoing call logs on the phone show that it was not used since April 2007. One wonders how it was missing? for so long without being reported. At any rate, if the guy who sold it on ebay doesn't give me my money back, I'll send it to the head of the company with my compliments and an explanation of where I got it. I figure if nothing else, I'll have entertainment value out of the incident.

lumberjim 02-07-2008 09:33 AM

isn't selling stolen goods through the mail a federal offense? and ...buying them?!

call the Feds!

The CIA 02-07-2008 09:34 AM

We'll be right with you, Mr. B.

SteveDallas 02-07-2008 09:48 AM

Which is why I am eager to return the phone to its rightful owners.

Shawnee123 02-07-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 430387)

I think it was Seinfeld who did a bit about needing a remote to find the remote.

BigV 02-21-2008 11:16 AM

The bad news is I'm battling an incipient cold. Sore throat, froggy voice. Ugh.

The good news is that I'm able to comfort the sore throat with one of my favorite "remedies". Juice, cranberry, hot. Ahhhh.

Shawnee123 02-21-2008 11:36 AM

Never heard of heating up cranberry juice for a sore throat. I will have to try it next time. Mine might be more like :juice, cranberry, vodka, hot. Ahhhh.

BigV 02-21-2008 12:01 PM

That would definitely work too. Not really an on the job option tho.

I like the tartness of the cranberry and the hot just feels soothing. There's a commercial remedy, TheraFlu, that is medicine and powdered lemonade meant to be mixed with hot water to drink. This has all the relief without the medicine for me. Like hot tea. Just not with the vodka.

Clodfobble 02-24-2008 09:59 PM

The good news is I tried my new immersion blender this evening, and it works great.

The bad news is I cut the shit out of my thumb while cleaning it afterwards. It doesn't need stitches, but I debated for awhile.

HungLikeJesus 02-25-2008 02:27 PM

Cf, they probably should have had a warning notice to turn the blender off before cleaning it.

Clodfobble 02-25-2008 02:47 PM

Funny thing is, they had warnings all over the thing to be careful when cleaning it, as the blade is extremely sharp. But I'm rather used to ignoring all those warnings that don't mean anything, y'know?

glatt 02-25-2008 03:05 PM

They need a "We really mean it this time" sticker. ;)

BigV 06-03-2008 11:11 AM

The good news is that the drive to work is completely free of traffic at 0100.

The bad news is that I am able to provide first person eyewitness testimony to verify it.

:zzz:

BigV 06-27-2008 09:10 AM

The good news is that the new toilet seat is installed.

The bad news is that I left my leatherman on the windowsill.

Sundae 06-27-2008 09:14 AM

The good news is I've finished my part of the Arts Council submission this afternoon and can just coast.
The bad news is the Artistic Director hasn't finished her part. She's currently AWOL somewhere in the building. She has less than three hours as I'm working tonight and will not leave here late.

So instead of coasting I am fretting and very aware that I should be chasing her.

Sundae 06-27-2008 10:10 AM

OOOH!

Bad news - it doesn't look as if my new bra will arrive until after the Beach Party in the pub on Saturday. Ditto my new flip flops.

Good news - the dress which will arrive tomorrow will look better with my new strapless bra - which has arrived. And I picked up a pair of cerise pumps in the charity shop for £3 which will do me all summer, and I can wear to the party!

Much better outcome than I expected :)

BigV 06-27-2008 11:58 AM

Flip flops?

The good news is flip flops are on sale for $1 per pair at Old Navy this weekend.

The bad news is our daughter might find out.

SteveDallas 06-27-2008 12:41 PM

Mrs. Dallas and Miss Dallas have already planned their expedition. ("You just don't understand women, dad" quoth Miss Dallas, age 12.8. I didn't deny it though.)

monster 06-27-2008 02:17 PM

Good News: The pool is finally up and working after a 5 day mechanical problem, just in time for the dive meet which starts in an hour

Bad News: It's about to thunder.

sweetwater 06-28-2008 08:00 AM

The good news is that my sister did not require pins inserted for her recent hammertoe surgery.
The bad news is that she will have to work just as hard to climb trees and power poles and the like.

HungLikeJesus 06-28-2008 09:45 AM

Hammertoe! That could be useful.

glatt 06-28-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 465484)
Hammertoe! That could be useful.

Not as useful as pins sticking out to aid with the climbing.

bluecuracao 06-28-2008 07:37 PM

The bad news: The folks next door are blasting techno music again.

The good news: This time, it's loud enough to cover up all the screaming and moaning.

Crimson Ghost 06-30-2008 12:02 AM

The good news: You win the Powerball lottery for 350 Million!!!!!

The bad news: You're so excited that you have a heart attack and die while taking a massive shit, and that's how the live news crews find you.

BigV 06-30-2008 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Ghost (Post 465813)

The bad news: You're so excited that you have a heart attack and die while taking a massive shit, and that's how the live news crews find you.

The good news is we have a place for this kind of post.

The bad news is, this thread isn't it.

BigV 06-30-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Ghost (Post 465813)

The bad news is that my skepticism may have insulted CG.

The good news is that if the bad news is true, he won't be offended.

Sundae 06-30-2008 09:46 AM

The good news is my bras arrived today, in plenty of time for my birthday lunch on Wednesday.
The bad news is my new dress didn't.

But then it might be waiting for me at home, and it has tomorrow to arrive and I can always wash and wear the one I wore on saturday as no-one at work has seen it yet...

Sorry - good news outweighing bad today, I've gone from being Oscar to being Pollyanna over the last couple of hours.

Crimson Ghost 07-01-2008 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 465888)
The bad news is that my skepticism may have insulted CG.

The good news is that if the bad news is true, he won't be offended.

The good news is that I'm not offended. I just wasn't paying attention to the tone of the thread when I posted it.

The bad news is I didn't win the Powerball lottery.

morethanpretty 07-01-2008 09:17 PM

Good news, I got to go visit my friend and her 2week old baby, and got to hold it for almost an hour.

Bad new, I discovered another symptom of diabetes that I have.

HungLikeJesus 07-02-2008 12:20 AM

The good news is that some neighbors decided to stop by tonight and we had a spontaneous party.

The bad news is that we drank a little wine.

The good news is that we drank a little wine.

The bad news is that a mountain lion ate my legs.

Ibby 07-02-2008 12:25 AM

the good news is
im free and really
feeling kinda good
about everything

the bad news is
caro told me
she doesnt want
to see me again

(or at least not
for a long time)

HungLikeJesus 07-02-2008 11:51 AM

The good news is that I got a new cell phone

The bad news is that I have to climb up on my roof to get a signal

(It's just like Green Acres)

lookout123 07-02-2008 12:00 PM

If you're on the roof, who's driving?

Shawnee123 07-02-2008 12:03 PM

Don't drink that wine then try to get on the roof. In other words, Friends Don't Let Friends Wine and Climb.

HungLikeJesus 07-02-2008 12:13 PM

Since the mountain lion ate my legs I can't make a phone call.

Shawnee123 07-02-2008 12:16 PM

Never did trust those pesky mountain lions, all living around in the mountains instead of on the plains like a normal lion citizen.

barefoot serpent 07-02-2008 12:27 PM

The good news is there are still mountain lions out on the plains.
The bad news is some dickwad went and shot it.

BrianR 07-02-2008 01:26 PM

The good news is the pups are now eliminating on their own.
The bad news is the first one decided to do her first one on my wife's blouse. Wife didn't notice until said pup crawled off her and started off across the bedspread.

footfootfoot 07-02-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 466431)
If you're on the roof, who's driving?

Here he is:

Shawnee123 07-02-2008 02:25 PM

I have two words for that guy: Dumb, and ass.

HungLikeJesus 07-02-2008 02:52 PM

But not necessarily in that order.

lookout123 07-02-2008 03:13 PM

it's a shame the truck didn't roll over him.

HungLikeJesus 07-02-2008 05:37 PM

At least he used his blinker.

BigV 07-02-2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 466300)
The good news is that some neighbors decided to stop by tonight and we had a spontaneous party.

The bad news is that a mountain lion ate my legs.

What a winer. :rolleyes:

footfootfoot 07-02-2008 08:52 PM

The really fucking excellent news is that the guy I bought my 1984 beater F150 has another set of keys!!! (to replace the ones my a) wife or b) son lost.)

The bad news is I have to take a stinking fetid load of trash to the dump as soon as I get the keys. Maggots? o yeah.

TheMercenary 07-05-2008 08:12 PM

Took the wife, son, and son's friend to Dave Mathews Band concert in Charleston yesterday. It was fantastic. Tim Reynolds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3loMJQJBBE is on tour with him for the first time in 10 years. The other notable event was that the main sax player for the band, LeRoi Moore http://www.antsmarching.org/bios/leroimoore.jpg , was severely injured in an ATV accident 4 days before the concert.

http://www.dmband.com/

Jeff Coffin, http://www.gowiggle.com/phimages3/Jeff-Coffin.jpg the saxophonist for Bela Fleck & the Flecktones, sat in for LeRoi Moore. Guys, with a 4 day notice this guy smoked the tunes like he had been with DMB for years. Absolutely fantastic. One of the final tunes was Slegehammer by Peter Gabriel.

Read a cool review here:

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/...memories46662/

I will put up some pics and a link in a few days. These are from the news paper:

http://www.charleston.net/photos/gal..._concert/4066/

Old Crow Medicine Show http://www.crowmedicine.com/ opened for DMB and they rocked as well.

General admission was the way to go if you ever go to a concert in the future at this venue. People paid $300 or more for premium tickets to sit in the stands and the stage was at the back of the center field up against the wall.

HungLikeJesus 07-06-2008 01:47 PM

The good news is...
The bad news is...

...it's raining

morethanpretty 07-07-2008 07:17 AM

The bad news is, I was the designated driver Sat. night.
The good news is, I wasn't last night.

Clodfobble 07-07-2008 09:44 AM

The good news is, my anniversary is on Saturday!
The bad news is, we are poor poor poor (or rather, we expect to be come September so we're gearing up now) and probably won't go anywhere.

binky 07-07-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 467331)
The bad news is, we are poor poor poor (or rather, we expect to be come September so we're gearing up now) and probably won't go anywhere.

Congrats Clod, and sorry for the poor part. We are in the same boat, 15th anniversary Thursday, and poor as well. My 12 yr old is astonished we put up with each other for the past 18 yrs. :neutral:

skysidhe 07-10-2008 12:32 AM

good news - I get to sleep all day

bad news - I work graveyard

good news - it pays alot of money

bad news - I have to sleep all day

good news - I am not around much to make trouble

bad news - I am not around much to make trouble

have a good night everyone, oh and a good tomorrow too

BigV 07-10-2008 04:36 PM

The good news is I found the reason for the error on the disk. It turns out that Windows has a fatal flaw in the translation of filenames on the disk and in the master boot record. It's an uncommon set of circumstances.

The bad news is to get rid of it you have to backup the volume, minus the offending file, format the volume, and restore the backup. Holy crap!

SteveDallas 07-10-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 467331)

Happy Anniversary! If it makes you feel better, we didn't go out for our anniversary a couple years back because all three of our usual high school babysitters were in Europe. :headshake