The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Radical Catholicism? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15808)

binky 10-29-2007 06:21 PM

Radical Catholicism?

MAPUTO, Mozambique - The head of the Catholic church in Mozambique said on Wednesday he believed some European-made condoms were deliberately tainted with the HIV/AIDS virus to kill African people.

“I know of two countries in Europe who are making condoms with (the) virus on purpose, they want to finish with African people as part of their program to colonize the continent,” Archbishop Francisco Chimoio told Reuters.

“If we are not careful we will finish in one century.

I also know some companies who are manufacturing anti-retroviral drugs already infected with the virus, also in order to finish quickly the African people,” Chimoio said.

He declined to name the European countries in question or the source of his allegations.

The Catholic Church, followed by 17 percent of Mozambique’s population, opposes the use of condoms.

“People must choose what they want between death and I propose to them that (abstinence) is the best way to fight HIV/AIDS,” Chimoio said.

More than 16 percent of Mozambique’s 19 million people, mostly economically active adults aged between 14 and 49, are infected with HIV/AIDS. About 500 infections are recorded every day, according to the health department.

Diogo Milagre, deputy executive chairman of Mozambique’s National Council for the Fight Against AIDS, said the government’s efforts to combat the scourge were hampered by a struggling health infrastructure and staff shortages.

“Now over 50 percent of Mozambique’s hospital beds are occupied by AIDS patients while infections are sky-rocketing (but) we haven’t lost the battle yet as we are now changing our approach,” he said, declining to comment on Chimoio’s charges.

“We need to study this phenomenon very carefully particularly cultural aspects with we believe are fuelling infections on several fronts at once,” Milagre said.

King 10-29-2007 06:52 PM

To be honest, I find most Catholicism to be quite radical.

binky 10-29-2007 07:10 PM

good point, but this is extreme

binky 10-29-2007 07:17 PM

not to mention, tragic, advising adults to practice abstinence instead of allowing them birth control that might incidentally save their lives

Aliantha 10-29-2007 07:41 PM

The catholic church has always twisted the truth to suit their purposes. I don't know why this should seem so shocking.

Remember, these were the people who hanged people because they were witches and it was only if they died that they were proven innocent.

binky 10-29-2007 08:05 PM

It's just more shocking than their usual stance on birth control, which really serves to subjugate women

Aliantha 10-29-2007 08:07 PM

Well, whether it subjugates women or not, the catholics do like to breed. ;) It's hardly surprising the church would tell blatant lies. I guess catching aids must be considered more terrible than going to hell these days.

binky 10-29-2007 08:09 PM

LOL-BTW Aliantha I've been waiting to hear how the thing with the neighbor kids worked out

Aliantha 10-29-2007 08:11 PM

Yeah...I should update that thread. I might do that now.

binky 10-29-2007 08:12 PM

great will look for that

TheMercenary 10-30-2007 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 401314)
Well, whether it subjugates women or not, the catholics do like to breed. ;) It's hardly surprising the church would tell blatant lies. I guess catching aids must be considered more terrible than going to hell these days.

In this case it is not "the church" it is one dumb ass Arch Bishop. Maybe he is a plant by those White Europeans who want their malaria infected lands.

DanaC 10-30-2007 12:42 PM

Well, actually the Church also preaches abstinence and speaks against contraceptives. It's just this guy who's using the euro-conspiracy theory to justify it (though he's not the first or only prominent voice in that region to suggest this).

Happy Monkey 10-30-2007 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 401501)
In this case it is not "the church" it is one dumb ass Arch Bishop. Maybe he is a plant by those White Europeans who want their malaria infected lands.

The Vatican?

TheMercenary 10-30-2007 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 401571)
The Vatican?

I am sure they are dying to own all the property in Africa. Maybe they are going to move the Vatican there. :keys:

rkzenrage 10-30-2007 03:18 PM

I thought I already posted this, what happened to it?