The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly irritating you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16569)

jimhelm 03-11-2013 02:32 PM

Oh, goddamnit. I hate when I do that.

footfootfoot 03-11-2013 03:07 PM

Do what?

Mildly infect people?

DanaC 03-11-2013 03:08 PM

Yea, I hate when I do that too.

jimhelm 03-11-2013 03:48 PM

I must not have opened this thread in a long time. Tapatalk takes you to the first post you have not read yet. I was replying to glatt finding that big gear and cutting his finger. I can't even find that post now.

jimhelm 03-11-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 855174)
I sliced my finger dumpster diving in the equipment recycling bin in the loading dock of our building. I always peer into the bin to see what they are throwing away. Usually it's just some torn apart PC cases, but today there was some sort of beautiful shiny gear in there. I had to have it. And the damn thing sliced my finger without me even realizing it. I just started noticing little spots of blood on the things I was touching.

It's kinda cool though. It's going on my bookcase in my office. It's fairly massive. Feels like it weighs 15 pounds.

But my finger got sliced, so I'm mildly irritated.
Attachment 43009

Found it.... Only ten days ago...derrr deeerrreeerrrrrr

footfootfoot 03-11-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 856468)
Yea, I hate when I do that too.

Exactly.If you're gonna do it, do it right. I'm talking Ebola Zaire, minimum.:p:

glatt 03-11-2013 04:49 PM

So long ago, the finger is healed. Just a hint of flaky skin where the cut was.

footfootfoot 03-11-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 856492)
So long ago, the finger is healed. Just a hint of flaky skin where the cut was.

Now, Ebola; that's a horse of a different color...

orthodoc 03-11-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 856498)
Now, Ebola; that's a horse of a different color...

Or four horses of a different color ...

classicman 03-11-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 856266)
What's the lacy one with the black edge?

Its got a couple names, most common around here is the Shaggy Mane.
AKA shaggy ink cap, lawyer's wig.

orthodoc 03-11-2013 07:45 PM

Is it edible? Or are most of the pics of poisonous ones? (I know the morel is good to eat but don't know the others.)

Undertoad 03-11-2013 07:58 PM

Classic, did you ever eat at Joe's in Reading when it was there?

classicman 03-11-2013 08:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 856518)
Is it edible? Or are most of the pics of poisonous ones? (I know the morel is good to eat but don't know the others.)

Here as in most public forums, except when I am speaking to certain groups,
My default answer is ALL MUSHROOMS ARE POISONOUS.

However, according to Wiki -

"The young mushrooms, before the gills start to turn black, are edible. The taste is mild; cooking produces a large quantity of liquid. It can sometimes be used in mushroom soup with parasol mushroom. Large quantities of microwaved-then-frozen shaggy manes are delicious when used as the liquid component of risotto, replacing the usual chicken stock.

The agent responsible for unpleasant symptoms when consumed with alcohol, coprine, which is found in Coprinopsis atramentaria, has not been isolated from C. comatus"

My problem is that thee is a fine line, check that, there is a blurry fuzzy sorta smudge when things change from "edible" to what? "Inedible"? "Poisonous"? And what does poisonous mean? Deadly? Causes stomach upset, headaches, body-aches, dizzyness ... what? At what point?
You tell me. Have I eaten them? yes. Were they worth the "maybe" nope. I've got plenty of others to choose from and I get them in huge quantities without too much effort. Sorry for that aimless rant. :3eye:

Top image - Some of what ended as 40lbs Hens harvested on my B-day. (Yes, there were other days.)

Bottom Image - Cleaned & Vacuum sealed Chickens - 13lbs.

footfootfoot 03-11-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 856504)
Or four horses of a different color ...

:lol::love:
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 856523)
Here as in most public forums, except when I am speaking to certain groups,
My default answer is ALL MUSHROOMS ARE POISONOUS.

However, according to Squirell Nutkin--

"All mushrooms are edible. Some of them, only once."

Top image - Some of what ended as 40lbs Hens harvested on my B-day. (Yes, there were other days.)

Bottom Image - Cleaned & Vacuum sealed Chickens - 13lbs.

Gotta say I share Ortho's fungal apprehension but in terms of the harvesting and vacuum sealing*, you're a man after my own heart, Classic.

*Among other great qualities.

glatt 03-12-2013 07:12 AM

I can get behind the harvesting and vacuum sealing, but I don't quite understand why you would go through all that trouble for fungus. Berries, sure!