The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly irritating you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16569)

Carruthers 03-12-2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 1005500)
'Customers'. Give me fucking strength. I don;t object to tax as a general rule, though I reserve the right to gripe at the details - but calling us customers is ludicrous.
We haven't given them our custom, nor can we take our custom elsewhere.

Helping customers pay the right amount of tax on time

Unbelievable, isn't it?

John Humphrys takes exception to the term.

Carruthers 03-13-2018 10:06 AM

Another day, another irritation. Like London buses, you wait ages for one then two arrive at once.

Poor old Dad's balance, mobility and reaction times are very poor these days.
Yesterday he slipped in the bathroom and grabbed hold of the towel rail.
Dad was OK but the same can't be said for the towel rail.

Yesterday afternoon I went into town and bought a much sturdier replacement to install this morning. Tools required included a 6mm drill.
I have just never got the hang of the metric system. There I've admitted it.
I used both Imperial and Metric at school and accept that calculations are far easier in metric but that's not the point.
I can look in a box of drill bits and nine times out of ten will manage to correctly pick out a quarter inch drill and not a 5/16ths one.
Can I do the same when it comes to looking for a 6mm drill?
Not a damned chance!

Er, that's it really. Rant mode to standby.

monster 03-13-2018 10:44 AM

tell you what I'll mail you all the stupid imperial ones they use over here and you post me the nice metric ones and we'll both be happy :)

glatt 03-13-2018 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I volunteer making houses more functional for elderly homeowners to live in them. Age in place. We fix up one house each spring. Anyway, one of the things we do is put tons of grab bars in the bathrooms. There is a towel rack you can buy that is actually a grab bar. It comes with massive anchor bolts and is made of very sturdy material. It's a great idea. Seems to me that all towel bars should be made that way. Elderly people aren't the only ones who could use them. The towel racks in our bathroom are a little loose from people grabbing them.

Attachment 63417

Attach the screws to a stud, or use something like wingits, and you can do chin ups from that bar. If you're short enough.

monster 03-13-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 1005500)
'Customers'. Give me fucking strength. I don;t object to tax as a general rule, though I reserve the right to gripe at the details - but calling us customers is ludicrous. We haven't given them our custom, nor can we take our custom elsewhere.

Nothing in life is certain except death and taxes?

Beest's (alternate last grasp useless) chemo tablets and his blood thinners were shipped from a specialty prescription company who used to call all the time to try to persuade him to order refills. of chemo pills. I dealt with them at the weekend and -I thought- stopped them shipping more stuff, and yet again this morning he got an email to say a shipment was on the way (of more chemo pills) ......and they said they'll "try" to stop it, and that there was another shipment of a different failed chemo pill that he stopped taking last summer scheduled to come in August....... WTF? and they have the gall to refer to us as PATIENTS when we are just customers.

Carruthers 03-13-2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1005579)
tell you what I'll mail you all the stupid imperial ones they use over here and you post me the nice metric ones and we'll both be happy :)

I remember walking past a bank somewhere in Wyoming (Thermopolis?) which was being extended.
A workman was measuring some wood and called to a colleague: 'Forty seven and five eighths'. I felt quite at home. :)

Carruthers 03-13-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 1005580)
I volunteer making houses more functional for elderly homeowners to live in them. Age in place.
We fix up one house each spring. Anyway, one of the things we do is put tons of grab bars in the bathrooms.
There is a towel rack you can buy that is actually a grab bar. It comes with massive anchor bolts and is made of very sturdy material. It's a great idea.
Seems to me that all towel bars should be made that way. Elderly people aren't the only ones who could use them.
The towel racks in our bathroom are a little loose from people grabbing them.

What a brilliant idea!

xoxoxoBruce 03-13-2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1005583)
I remember walking past a bank somewhere in Wyoming (Thermopolis?) which was being extended.
A workman was measuring some wood and called to a colleague: 'Forty seven and five eighths'. I felt quite at home. :)

Of course you did, any civilized person would. ;)

By the way, there is a code for mounting grab bars, ANSII-ICC A117/

Griff 03-15-2018 06:48 AM

I'm irritated by my irritation this morning. I got up and dressed to plow the driveway but Dad was already on the job running the snowblower at low rpm and 6-8" off the ground. So he basically skimmed a few inches off the top and packed down a place to drive with his tires. No snowflakes were injured in this operation. To be fair, I'm sure he cleared the snow the plow trucks pushed into the end of the drive and 8" is better than a 3' drift in the drifting areas.

I'm done being an ungrateful shit now.

Glinda 03-15-2018 12:05 PM

Today, I am mildly irritated by snot. Specifically, the metric butt-tons of snot that always follow an unwanted visit by the %$#@ flu bug.

For the last three days, I've been just this side of comatose. Thankfully, this morning I feel like I might have actually survived the worst of it, but now comes the weeks-long effort to clear my lungs and sinuses of the dreaded snot infestation. I'm certain I am personally increasing the stock price of Kleenex TM.

*gurgle* :greenface

xoxoxoBruce 03-15-2018 01:44 PM

Glinda, how about your vacuum cleaner? ;)

Gravdigr 03-15-2018 04:12 PM

Vacuum cleaner?

She said metric butt-ton of snot.

That calls for a dredge pump.

Gravdigr 03-15-2018 04:16 PM

Happy loogie hockin', Glinda!

No, that's not a Swedish holiday.

Glinda 03-15-2018 09:26 PM

:lol2: OMG you guys make me laugh!!! (and cough hack snort)

Thank you, I needed that. :p:

xoxoxoBruce 03-15-2018 10:15 PM

Hey, snot a problem, glad to be of service. :blush: