The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Egpyt to copyright Pyramids (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16254)

Chewbaccus 12-26-2007 01:18 PM

Egpyt to copyright Pyramids

From IOL:

Quote:

Cairo - In a potential blow to themed resorts from Vegas to Tokyo, Egypt is to pass a law requiring payment of royalties whenever its ancient monuments, from the pyramids to the sphinx, are reproduced.

Zahi Hawass, the charismatic and controversial head of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, told AFP on Tuesday that the move was necessary to pay for the upkeep of the country's thousands of pharaonic sites.

"The new law will completely prohibit the duplication of historic Egyptian monuments which the Supreme Council of Antiquities considers 100-percent copies," he said.

"If the law is passed then it will be applied in all countries of the world so that we can protect our interests," Hawass said.

<snip>

"It is Egypt's right to be the only copyright owner for these monuments in order to benefit financially so we can restore, preserve and protect Egyptian monuments."

However, the law "does not forbid local or international artists from profiting from drawings and other reproductions of pharaonic and Egyptian monuments from all eras - as long as they don't make exact copies."

I don't know where to go with this: a snide remark about how people will now turn to cheap Aztec knockoffs for their pyramid fix, or a snide remark about how the city of Pisa will now copyright cylinders to protect images of the Leaning Tower?

glatt 12-26-2007 01:49 PM

Let's see Egypt try to enforce this law in other countries.

richlevy 12-26-2007 02:56 PM

S**t, now where going to have to go back to calling all pyramid schemes "multi-level marketing".:p

Noone remembers Charles Ponzi, so that avenue is closed,

richlevy 12-26-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 419368)
Let's see Egypt try to enforce this law in other countries.

Yeah, it took the world's largest nuclear arsenal, tens of thousands of lawyers, and hordes of diplomats to force our copyright laws on the rest of the world.

Clodfobble 12-26-2007 03:56 PM

Pfft, I bet I can still get bootleg pyramids from China for a buck and a half.

TheMercenary 12-26-2007 09:25 PM

Does this mean we will have to pay them for each of our dollar bills?

Chewbaccus 12-26-2007 10:04 PM

I think we're good on the money - ours are unfinished, so only 85% copies. If the Masons get on board this copyright bandwagon, then we're pooched.

BrianR 12-27-2007 12:26 AM

We have no such plans. We're planning on world domination instead.

regular.joe 12-27-2007 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewbaccus (Post 419440)
I think we're good on the money - ours are unfinished, so only 85% copies. If the Masons get on board this copyright bandwagon, then we're pooched.

As a side note, in Egypt most buildings are unfinished, don't have to pay taxes on an unfinished one. Using their own logic in a sense, we shouldn't have to pay for an unfinished pirimid.

HungLikeJesus 12-29-2007 05:04 PM

There goes the food pyramid.

Urbane Guerrilla 01-01-2008 03:28 AM

And the term "Ponzi scheme" is by no means obsolete usage.

Sounds like Egypt is having an attack of "Cuban Politicians' Disease."

Aliantha 01-01-2008 03:59 AM

They can only put a copywrite on exact replicas, not a prism shape. This is simply to protect their own right to market souveniers - and that's fair enough if you ask me.

TheMercenary 01-01-2008 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 420576)
They can only put a copywrite on exact replicas, not a prism shape. This is simply to protect their own right to market souveniers - and that's fair enough if you ask me.

Ok, we should copyright all things Red, White, and Blue, all images of anything from America, all images of any American Icon. All images of the Bald Eagle... the list goes on. It is a stupid idea.

Aliantha 01-01-2008 05:13 AM

you can't put a copywrite on colours. You have no claim to those colours. They existed essentially well before the USA did, as did the bald eagle.

I'm sure you'd have a case for the statue of liberty though.

TheMercenary 01-01-2008 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 420591)
you can't put a copywrite on colours. You have no claim to those colours. They existed essentially well before the USA did, as did the bald eagle.

I'm sure you'd have a case for the statue of liberty though.

A pyramid is nothing more than a stack of rocks.