The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

plthijinx 02-09-2011 10:28 PM

that's pretty messed up right there. and of course you could have said no. you are you and don't forget that. communication is the absolute key to a relationship. if he does something that makes you unhappy you should say so. otherwise guess what....it'll happen again. just sayin sweetheart. give an inch they take a mile. not to mean be rude or anything but just trying to voice an opinion. if you were to do something he didn't like would he say anything? prolly. chin up chest out be proud! know things aren't going well and it's hard to look on the bright side but if i can do it so can you hun!!

morethanpretty 02-09-2011 10:34 PM

I told him I would be lonely and that I was not happy about it. I can't just say "no" though. That puts all the guilt on me and that is just as bad.

plthijinx 02-09-2011 10:39 PM

alright yeah....you did give him the hint. ball's in his court with your wrath for a counter serve if you so choose! :D

morethanpretty 02-09-2011 10:44 PM

I'm getting drunk in the bedroom, have already locked the door. He wanted a female free evening? Well he can have a whole female free night, on the couch.

plthijinx 02-09-2011 11:01 PM

ouch but can't say he didn't ask for it.

Pete Zicato 02-10-2011 09:20 AM

Lust and sex are great and all. But, to me, the thing that keeps two people together over the years is how well they take care of each other. Your boyfriend seems to be pretty blatant in not caring.

Spexxvet 02-10-2011 09:53 AM

All the best MTP. I hope everything works out well for you.

Clodfobble 02-10-2011 03:35 PM

If it were me, I would suspect that the "guys' night out" was a deliberate decision he made only after being told that grocery shopping was more important than immediate sex. I had a boyfriend like that once. Wanted it when he wanted it, didn't care when I wanted it, and hated being denied. That shit ended pretty quickly.

morethanpretty 02-11-2011 07:23 AM

He argued that I had turned him down, not just postponed the action. And apparently telling him I would be lonely was not clear enough that I wanted to be with him. After an hour on the couch he came back and apologized and said he was wrong and stupid. I went ahead and forgave him, because I'm too nice and don't like to hold grudges. He seemed to really mean it. I guess that is one of many cons of dating a younger guy with little relationship experience. He has a lot to learn, and I have to be more patient. I am not very good with patience.

glatt 02-11-2011 07:50 AM

Some (most) guys are dumb. You've got to spell it out for us. Hints usually don't work so well. You just need to come right out and say it, or we will miss it entirely.

Perry Winkle 02-11-2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morethanpretty (Post 710950)
He argued that I had turned him down, not just postponed the action. And apparently telling him I would be lonely was not clear enough that I wanted to be with him. After an hour on the couch he came back and apologized and said he was wrong and stupid. I went ahead and forgave him, because I'm too nice and don't like to hold grudges. He seemed to really mean it. I guess that is one of many cons of dating a younger guy with little relationship experience. He has a lot to learn, and I have to be more patient. I am not very good with patience.

I don't mean this in a derogatory way, but I think you have a lot to learn too.

You can't expect anyone to read your mind. Saying you'll be lonely just sounds like you want attention for your own sake. If you explain your feelings, that you want to spend time with him because of your rough day, then a caring person will be there for you.

Shutting yourself away and getting drunk is a very immature response, especially to an imagined slight. In my mind, you should apologize for your reaction and work on communicating better.

My wife and I used to struggle greatly with communication. We are much better at it now. And one of the simplest things is to be up front about what we need from each other and why. Also, we never go to sleep with unfinished relationship business.

morethanpretty 02-11-2011 09:11 AM

It is REALLY difficult to be more clear than "I will be lonely tonight...[can I come along]" a bit of the shortened version, but I said all of that. I was not giving a hint and I was not trying to be coy. I told him I was disappointed that he would be all over me, and then tell me a short time later that he was leaving for the evening. The only way to have been more clear would have been to tell him he was not allowed to go. That makes me a bitch and is unfair for me to tell him what to do.

Shawnee123 02-11-2011 09:22 AM

It's not just 'unfair' to tell someone what to do, it's unrealistic. They'll resent you, may take 2 weeks, may take 20 years. My sage old self says that people are going to do what they want to do, and you decide if a continued behavior pattern is going to work for you. You can't change anyone, you can't possibly want someone to be around you just because you said so and they fear your wrath.

I would have been pissed off if someone in my life initiated sex only to be all like "Well, gotta go!" with no forewarning. I wouldn't mind the going part: go, I say...I can watch you leave. However, I might start thinking twice about letting you come back, into my house or into my heart, as convenience dictates.

People need freedom to "do" whatever they're going to do. You can suggest otherwise, and they can acquiesce or not. I think his trying to get sex before he left you in the lurch COULD be chalked up to the "a lot to learn" part, but certainly it is up to YOU to decide, if this behavior continues, if he is really the one for you.

limey 02-11-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry Winkle (Post 710966)

My wife and I used to struggle greatly with communication. We are much better at it now. And one of the simplest things is to be up front about what we need from each other and why. Also, we never go to sleep with unfinished relationship business.

This.
Put the word "husband" in there and that could be me talking.

anonymous 02-14-2011 03:33 PM

i'm sad as hell. :(