The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Random Thoughts (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29481)

Spexxvet 12-11-2014 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 916088)
I thought I had posted the text separately in case that happened. Oh well. someone wanted help with Christmas presents for their family. they have a 14yo girl. and a1yo girl. And their boys are aged 8,6,5,4,3 and 2. or something like that

Maybe some condoms, for the parents?

infinite monkey 12-11-2014 08:19 AM

That's what she said. (I don't mean that in the jokey way...monster mentioned the condoms before referring to the post, because her link to the situation had been deleted.)

Similar thing happened to me at my old old job. We 'adopted' a family at Christmas each year and one girl said her friend was really needy. "They have five kids and one on the way!" There was no mention of a sudden unemployment or the like. I leaned over to another woman in this meeting and mumbled "so, how about we get them a box of condoms?"

I mean, they know their financial situation but just keep popping them out? I would rather give to a family who recently lost income they depended on or who had unexpected medical bills or something like that, not one more Catholic family who feels the need to just keep on having kids no matter what. And yes, that WAS the situation.

Spexxvet 12-11-2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 916110)
That's what she said. ...

:blush:

BigV 12-16-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 916096)
You don't, you never can be absolutely sure of anything. You make your best guess with the information you've got, and go with it. Don't make yourself nuts by rehashing your analysis over and over with the same information, trying to convince yourself you must be right.

Only rethink it when new information comes your way. Remember new information doesn't automatically change how you feel. And sometimes even when it changes your mind, it's better to keep on, keeping on, rather than make a disaster trying to change course.

Sorry to not be more reassuring, but that's a lesson I learned the hard way... several times. :o

QFT.

Griff 12-17-2014 06:12 AM

whs

Clodfobble 12-17-2014 08:04 AM

For whatever reason, I can never remember that QFT means "quoted for truth." I always read it as "quit fucking trying," and then I have a good ten-second spasm in my head at the unexpected rudeness before I finally remember.

DanaC 12-17-2014 08:23 AM

I always misread it as 'quite fucking true'.

glatt 12-17-2014 08:48 AM

I never knew what it meant, so I skipped those posts.

monster 12-17-2014 05:36 PM

The "word" jelly as an abbreviation for jealous (when really they mean envious most of the time anyway) just needs to die in a nasty green slimy nukular asplosion.

that is all.

for now.

Griff 12-17-2014 08:30 PM

I looked it up cuz I had not a clue.

xoxoxoBruce 12-17-2014 10:26 PM

We fat kids still salivate at jelly, and won't accept dilution by tangential nerd speak. :boxers:

monster 12-17-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 916630)
I looked it up cuz I had not a clue.

yeah I looked it up too because I wasn't sure why it wasn't right, I just knew it wasn't

DanaC 12-19-2014 03:44 PM

Oh Jesus fucking christ, I am so sick of this bastard thesis. I can't believe how much work I have done. I can't believe how much is still to do.

It's just all too much. I've turned into a hermit - I don't talk to anybody (except Ma). I don't answer the phone in case it's debt collectors - I can't spare the time or mental energy to sort out payment plans or anything. (I haven't done a telesales shift for two and half weeks - so payday at the start of Jan will be about £40 lol ) none of that matters. All that matters is the thesis. I don't go anywhere, except walking the dog. I go to sleep with the thesis in my head, I get up with it still there.

I make myself spend at least an hour in the evening just watching tv, and I usually read for half an hour before I sleep. That and the bits of time I spend posting here is the only time I am not thinking about the thesis.

I want to cry when I think about how much work there still is to do over the next 2 weeks (xmas day excepted). And I want to shout at how close I am to the end.

It currently stands at a little over 65k words and 149 pages. I've probably got another 10k words to add to bring it all together - and a fuckton of reference checking and formatting.

infinite monkey 12-19-2014 08:47 PM

I think some people should just kill some people. Please. For the sake of sanity. Waaa waaa waaa waaa

Not you, Dana. You'll figure it out! I just had to say this somewhere. I have faith in YOU! :)

Undertoad 12-19-2014 08:55 PM

Yah GO D GO

you can DO IT!