The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Wildlife, living next to nature (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29992)

xoxoxoBruce 02-27-2015 05:12 PM

http://cellar.org/2015/aussiemeter.jpg
Dear customer,
as your electricity supplier we have always tried to give the best price, best service, and best advice. In that vein we must inform you we will no longer supply electricity as we can not access the meter. Our best advice is to burn the house to the ground, and get far, far away.
Good Luck, The Electric Company

http://cellar.org/2015/scream.jpg

Lamplighter 02-27-2015 05:25 PM

Oh come on now. Motherhood is a wonderful thing.

A clerk in the Goodwill Store in McMinneville, OR made a negative remark
to a mother who was breast-feeding her baby in the store. It made the local tv news.
Today, it became a cause célèbre, with the towns women bringing their babies to the store to protest.

The clerk was let go, and motherhood survives in all it's forms.

xoxoxoBruce 02-27-2015 10:45 PM

If that mother brings her brood, I'll offer them a drink... of Molotov cocktail. :flamer:

infinite monkey 02-28-2015 07:14 PM

:eek: Yeah, that pic should be in the nightmare thread.

Thank you very much!

busterb 03-01-2015 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the lady that I posted about whacking off a breast by mistake. Western PA.

xoxoxoBruce 03-04-2015 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Glad T-Rex isn't around.... just his teeth.

xoxoxoBruce 03-13-2015 01:20 AM

The proper way to unbox your turtle... even not box turtles. :p:

Carruthers 03-13-2015 04:40 AM

http://s28.postimg.org/ooxzdqgrh/998...68_620x372.jpg

Alligator hazard is par for the course at Florida golf club

There must be something in the local rule book to cover this eventuality.

Gravdigr 03-13-2015 12:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So there I am, driving down the country road, minding my own bidness...

Attachment 50639

Attachment 50640

He wasn't being particularly photo-friendly. Very short video to follow in the not-too-distant future.

Shitty-camera-through-the-dirty-windshield pics.

glatt 03-13-2015 12:31 PM

May be a shitty camera and may be through a windshield, but they are great pictures anyway. I've never seen a wild turkey from that close before.

Gravdigr 03-13-2015 01:26 PM

I was using most of the 24x (optical) zoom.

Anyway, here's the driving, rolling down the window, videoing a turkey, short, shaky video I mentioned.

That's about a eight inch beard on that there turkey. This time next month, turkey season, he'd be a shooter.

xoxoxoBruce 03-13-2015 04:50 PM

Since the seventies MA has been actively building the wild turkey population(feathers not bottles), and they've become a huge pain in the ass.

The flockers travel in feathered biker gangs, think they own the joint, eat everything in sight, treat bird feeders as private stash, attack pets & kids, and will take out a windshield in a heartbeat. The damn things can run about 25 mph and fly at over 50 mph, so a 15 or 20 pound bird can hit hard. They're vying with deer to be the biggest pain in the ass.

Gravdigr 03-14-2015 05:26 PM

The various breeds of wild turkeys are one of the great success stories of wildlife restoration.

As are whitetail deer.

And don't think I ain't made a mental note of where I saw that one up there^^^.:shotgun:

xoxoxoBruce 03-15-2015 06:33 PM

Attacked and bitten on the leg by a rabid Raccoon, she did what any seventy five year old lady would... she strangled the sumbitch.
Well then unlike normal people, she felt bad about being forced to do that. What?:shock:

After the strangling, shoot it :rattat:
axe it :behead:
sledgehammer it :bonk:
crush it :footpyth:
burn it :flamer:
and send it to raccoon hell. :redcard:

classicman 03-16-2015 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Speaking of Racoons ... this guy/gal was in my parents backyard yesterday. He/She was on their front porch last week. They live in suburbia! There should be no racoons around, let alone in the middle of the afternoon. I was 10' from it as it barely walked away from me. Thats as high up the tree as it could go. I walked away and it just hung there for maybe 2 minutes and then came back down and meandered away.

classicman 03-16-2015 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These two were sharing the feeder at my brothers place in CT last weekend. Never again will I wonder if it was a Hairy (left) or a Downy (right) woodpecker. He is ginormous compared to her.

xoxoxoBruce 03-16-2015 10:29 PM

Where's the weasel when you need 'em? ;)

Griff 03-17-2015 06:21 AM

That fella has seen better days.

Gravdigr 03-17-2015 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 923819)
Speaking of Racoons...

That raccoon is either very old, or fairly sick. Of course, raccoons can be lighter and darker than the norms, like skunks.

Not too long back I saw a road-killed skunk that had no white on it at all. Everything that would normally be white was as yellow/blond as could be right out to the top of its head.

xoxoxoBruce 03-19-2015 01:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Canal & River Trust says stop feeding the ducks bread.
Quote:

Every year over 6 million loaves of bread are thrown into our canals and rivers by well-intentioned people feeding the ducks. However, this bread isn't great for them or their habitats and so we’re asking you to swap the bread for healthy snacks and to exercise some portion control.
Send that bread to Sally Struthers instead.

fargon 03-23-2015 05:36 PM

Taken from my patio

2 Attachment(s)

fargon 03-23-2015 05:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)

fargon 03-23-2015 05:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Really wild

Griff 03-23-2015 06:04 PM

Awesome!

classicman 03-23-2015 09:27 PM

That last one ... I can't identify it. Looks like a sitting bull, but I'm not positive.

Srsly, great pics! Love the Eagles.

fargon 03-23-2015 09:47 PM

That is a lot of bull sitting there.

Carruthers 03-24-2015 06:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 50759

I spotted this Roe Deer about half an hour ago when out with my canine guest.

It was taken in a bit of a hurry with my phone camera so results were never likely to be award winning but there we are. :)

glatt 03-24-2015 07:47 AM

Fargon, you've got a nice view from you patio. Great pictures!

And Carruthers, good job spotting that. I guess it wasn't that far away if you got the shot with your phone, but still, I often don't see a deer until they move.

Carruthers 03-24-2015 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 924480)
And Carruthers, good job spotting that. I guess it wasn't that far away if you got the shot with your phone, but still, I often don't see a deer until they move.

It was pure luck that I spotted the deer. I was walking from L to R as you look at the picture and just happened to glance to my left and saw the deer watching me. It was only five or six yards away.

I had to take the photo in some haste and in the end had to crop it quite considerably so it isn't exactly a work of art but I think it was worth including here.

Gravdigr 03-24-2015 01:48 PM

Quote:

Taken from my patio
More than a little jealous, right now.

Also, I see what's beside the Sun Drop...:D

Also: That eagle in flight in post #322 is outstanding!

Gravdigr 03-24-2015 01:49 PM

Carruthers, what an excellent catch!

I take it that's a fairly rare occurrence where you are?

xoxoxoBruce 03-24-2015 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 924470)
I spotted this Roe Deer about half an hour ago when out with my canine guest.

It was taken in a bit of a hurry with my phone camera so results were never likely to be award winning but there we are. :)

Carruthers 03-24-2015 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 924514)
Carruthers, what an excellent catch!

I take it that's a fairly rare occurrence where you are?

It is a fairly rare occurrence but deer numbers have been increasing quite markedly in recent years.

However, I think most people only know that deer are around when they spot one at the side of the road which has perished in a traffic collision.

This morning's sighting was only about a quarter of a mile from home on the edge of the town and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

We also get the Muntjac which was an ornamental species introduced to large country estates in the Victorian era. Inevitably, many escaped and they've been breeding over much of southern England for the last century or so.

Its origins are in SE Asia and the Indian sub-continent. It isn't a particularly attractive animal but it's probably the one most often seen.

I certainly wouldn't swap a hundred Muntjac for this morning's Roe Deer.

ETA Thanks Bruce! You posted that as I was typing.:thumb:

fargon 03-24-2015 02:34 PM

Thank You

Carruthers 03-24-2015 02:56 PM

Thanks for posting those images, fargon.

The highlight of my visits to the USA was seeing the wide variety of wildlife you have.

I shall never forget the flight of Pelicans I saw as I was driving north through Wyoming and the Ospreys in Yellowstone and near the Buffalo Bill dam.

I hope to return one day and with luck I shall add the Bald Eagle to my list of sightings.

glatt 03-24-2015 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 924533)
I hope to return one day and with luck I shall add the Bald Eagle to my list of sightings.

It's easier than ever. They have really made a comeback. I saw one on Sunday morning.

fargon 03-24-2015 03:05 PM

There is always at least 25 to 30 around here all day.

Lamplighter 03-24-2015 03:43 PM

I like the word for them... a "convocation"

... much more intriguing that a "murder" of crows
... but not as poetic as a "charm" of hummingbirds

xoxoxoBruce 03-24-2015 03:47 PM

PA Bald Eagle live cam.

classicman 03-25-2015 04:25 PM

and here is the first view of the new baby ...

xoxoxoBruce 03-27-2015 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alaska's the home where the Buffalo roam.
Quote:

Two wood bison bulls weighing upward of 2,000 pounds move toward higher ground at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center on Sunday, March 22, 2015, in Portage, Alaska. The Alaska Department of Fish and Game on Sunday moved the first wood bison to a staging area in Shageluk, Alaska, for reintroduction in a few week to their native Alaska grazing grounds. Wood bison, which are larger than plains bison native found in Lower 48 states, disappeared from U.S. soil more than a century ago.

Griff 03-28-2015 06:59 AM

How cool is that!

Gravdigr 03-29-2015 01:53 PM

That's a lot of cheeseburgers.

BigV 03-30-2015 11:44 AM

That's a lot of bull.

xoxoxoBruce 03-30-2015 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Burgers? Fuckith not with my people.

Carruthers 03-31-2015 10:51 AM

http://s10.postimg.org/9k8az4dgp/Deer.jpg

Quote:

The housing estate deer

Deer go in search of food in the gardens of an Essex housing estate as the residents sleep.

The herd of Fallow Deer was photographed wandering the streets and grazing on lawns from around 11pm to 4am, before returning to nearby woods.
That's just NE of London and the deer have probably come from Epping Forest which is described as 'London's largest open space'.

xoxoxoBruce 03-31-2015 11:10 AM

Quote:

wandering the streets and grazing on lawns
Interesting, I think of deer(whitetail) as browsers and elk as grazers, but Fallow Deer swing both ways.

Gravdigr 03-31-2015 03:17 PM

I think of them both as steak.

And the occasional casserole, or, meat loaf.

xoxoxoBruce 03-31-2015 03:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some think of you as steak.

Gravdigr 03-31-2015 03:46 PM

I'm always thankful that, as I step out of GCOne on the riverbank at night, I don't have to worry about bears, cougars (well, pumas, anyway;)), crocogators, and the like.

Around here, the only thing you need to worry about is be sure to kick some dirt/gravel around when you get out of the car at night. Runs off those pesky cotton-headed-rattle-moccasins.

Walking along the riverbank at night, if you smell cucumbers, stop, and go back the way you came, slowly, and in the same footsteps. Copperheads smell like cucumbers, and they don't run away.

Gravdigr 04-08-2015 02:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 51090

Yep, that's a bobcat dragging a shark outta the ocean!

Link

Spexxvet 04-08-2015 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 925548)
Attachment 51090

Link

That's a dolphin

Scriveyn 04-09-2015 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Look what the cat dragged in!

Attachment 51097
(South Devon beach)

fargon 04-10-2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 925548)
Attachment 51090

Link

I just found that pic here http://www.nationalgeographic.com/
About a quarter of the way down the page.

glatt 04-20-2015 08:13 AM

I stepped out this morning to get the paper, and the birds were going nuts just after a rainstorm. I decided it was because they had been hiding from the heavy rain, and now that it was clear, so they were all happy.

But then I realized it was a murder of half a dozen or so crows making all the noise, and they were cawing frantically, like it was a warning. I was watching them, over my neighbor's house, when a fox walked up the neighbor's driveway onto our property and trotted casually along our fence. Too fast for me to get the phone out to get a picture, but in no hurry at all. I clapped my hands loudly to see if I would spook it, but it just ignored me and continued slowly on its way.

The funny thing was, the crows kept pace with it and were cawing a warning the whole time. After I couldn't see the fox any more, I could still see the crows circling and cawing their way slowly up the neighborhood.

I wonder who the crows were trying to warn? Was it just a general warning for all birds in the area, or for other crows? I thought it was pretty cool. A coordinated defense. Seemed awfully charitable of them, since they were in no threat of the fox.

Gravdigr 04-20-2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 926335)
I was watching them, over my neighbor's house, when a fox walked up the neighbor's driveway onto our property and trotted casually along our fence.

What did the fox say?

A fox at home is pretty cool. Most people go their entire lives without seeing a live fox. Even in the country, it's pretty rare to see a fox.

Was it a red fox, or a gray fox? I'm assuming it wasn't a Redd Foxx. Or a Jamie Foxx.

Gravdigr 04-20-2015 04:29 PM

I started to ask if it was a Michael J. Fox.

But, I thought that might be a little shaky.

glatt 04-20-2015 05:00 PM

lol

Gravdigr 04-20-2015 05:03 PM

Made me remember this:

Carruthers 04-21-2015 02:29 AM

Quote:

The bald eagles land: New York city awaits first birth of national bird in 100 years

Bird enthusiasts in raptures about return of nesting raptors to New York city as further sign of the bald eagle's comeback from near-extinction

A pair of Bald Eagles, the majestic raptor that is America's national bird, is nesting in New York city for the first time in more than a century.

The young couple appears to be about to start a family on the south shore of Staten Island as they have been spotted by engaging in the sort of brooding behaviour associated with birds incubating their eggs.

The exciting announcement was made by the New York branch of the Audubon Society, America's leading bird conservation organisation.

The height and location of the nest means that it has not been possible to confirm that there are eggs inside, but the society is confident that New York will soon gain notable new addition to its feathered ranks after an incubation period expected to end next month.

The species appeared to be heading for extinction a few decades ago, but has made a recovery in some more remote habitats. But these would be the first since 1914 to produce offspring in the urban jungle of New York, even in one of its less densely populated areas.

"We're thrilled to have bald eagles possibly raising their young in New York City," said Tod Winston, a spokesman for New York City Audubon.

Another bald eagle couple was spotted in the same area two months ago, but although they were seen moving nesting material to an unused dock, they then left the area.

The species nearly died out as a result of shooting, habitat destruction and the widespread use of DDT insecticide, which is poisonous to the bird. The US ban on DDT and the passage of the Endangered Species Act are widely credited with helping the bald eagle's comeback from brink of extinction in North America.

The powerful bird of prey was removed from the list of endangered species in 2007 as the numbers thrived.
Daily Telegraph

I hope that this pair breed successfully. It's an eye opener how some raptors have successfully adapted to urban surroundings.
I posted somewhere on the Cellar about the Peregrine Falcons that have nested on the County Council tower block in Aylesbury in recent years.
They have also flourished in London and provincial cities with church and cathedral steeples being favourite nesting spots.