The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hi Everyone! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9442)

Rock Steady 10-30-2005 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
That is not a common experience, and was likely unique to the establishment you visited.

I dated my x for about a year in 1979. In one of our Philadelphia visits she told me that the little pretzels was classic Philadelphia. I am from New York and she was always on a mission to educate me. This isn't the worst lie she told me. :)

Quote:

Your x? Then all she needed to be able to do was count to half.

i lurve you too.

Quote:

There were two possible answers to question 6.

Your answer merely indicates that you have never had a hoagie, or at least do not appreciate the importance of this item in Philadelphia Food Culture.

Yeah, at some point the cheesesteak got "discovered" by the national media. In 1976, my math prof told me "The cheesesteak is clearly the world's best sandwhich, and don't you forget it." He said this as if it were one of the Peano Axioms. I never forgot it.

I have to admit that I was never properly educated about the Hoagie. In Pittsburgh they throw around that word as if its a synonym for Sub. But, sometime you have to go to Isaly's for a chipped ham or Primonti's for sandwhich with meat, cole slaw and fries all between the bread.

elSicomoro 10-30-2005 01:46 PM

I went to Primanti Brothers in June...*drools*

I cringe every time I hear the term "cheesesteak" used outside the Philadelphia metropolitan area.

Rock Steady 10-30-2005 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamore
I went to Primanti Brothers in June...*drools*

I cringe every time I hear the term "cheesesteak" used outside the Philadelphia metropolitan area.

Good job, you've already introduced Wolf to the Primanti sandwhich with Picture!

Now one can order a Rothlisburger for $7.

I cringe when I hear the term "bagel" used outside NY; what abuse of terminology!

wolf 10-30-2005 02:20 PM

I expect that I will end up in Pittsburgh eventually. I know a bunch of people there via CISM, so going one day is pretty much inevitable.

elSicomoro 10-30-2005 03:26 PM

I was very impressed by what I saw of the city. Apparently, it's a hell of a lot better than it was 20 years ago.

Trilby 10-30-2005 03:29 PM

i freakin' loved pittsburgh! I got laid there!!! boyhowdy!

*plus, it was an ethnically funky city--but, that coulda been coz we were on Squirrel Hill......Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Squirrels....

Rock Steady 10-30-2005 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna

Well maybe if Wolf went to Pittsburgh she'd get laid too, ya think? :D

capnhowdy 10-30-2005 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna

*plus, it was an ethnically funky city--but, that coulda been coz we were on Squirrel Hill......Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Squirrels....

Dammit Bri..... is nothing sacred?
My son said he never left Grifftopia..... wait'll I have a talk w/him. And on my AMER. EXPRESS at that... :lol:

Rock Steady 10-30-2005 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamore
I was very impressed by what I saw of the city. Apparently, it's a hell of a lot better than it was 20 years ago.

Yes, I saw the transformation live. I arrived in 1983 and moved out in 1995. It was seriously parochial back then. "Cafe" used to mean "dive bar". I saw many slum businesses on Murray Avenue in Sq Hill close and new ones reopen. The first Indian restaurant opened on Craig Street. Starbucks and IKEA moved in, then it was over. No more backwater - Pittsburgh had arrived.

xoxoxoBruce 10-30-2005 08:02 PM

Quote:

The first Indian restaurant opened on Craig Street. Starbucks and IKEA moved in, then it was over.
Pittsburgh got yuppie-ized so tourists can experience the same crap they get at home. That's just fuckin' wonderful. :rolleyes:

justmehere99 10-30-2005 09:36 PM

I actually live about 120 miles south of Pittsburgh, waaaaayyyyyy in the mountians!
I haven't been to the burg in ages.....was in Philly once for my aunt's wedding. So I guess you can call me a redneck! :)