The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What are we listening to now? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6299)

Griff 07-11-2004 08:36 AM

What are we listening to now?

I just started listening to DJ Harry The String Cheese Remix Project. It's not my normal hillbilly fare but this album is really contagious.

cowhead 07-11-2004 04:15 PM

I've been going round and round with Luceros' first two albums.. (that's Lucero the Alt. Country band.. not the latino swing stuff) if you like Uncle Tupalo at all, you more than likely would love Lucero (they're on Madjack records)

also Thrices' new Album (heh I'm dating my age there... ) Artist in the Ambulance... crazy good stuff..

jaguar 07-11-2004 04:28 PM

Lots of the Rage Against the Machine, some of the newer Ani Difranco stuff, The Whitlams, The disassociatives and Magic Dirt.

be-bop 07-11-2004 05:55 PM

What are we listening to now

Jane's Addiction "Strays"
Dandy Warhols "Welcome to the Monkey House"
Spock's Beard "Snow"

Three rip snorting works of music

ladysycamore 07-11-2004 06:17 PM

SteveDallas's CD...marvelous! :thumpsup: :D

Elspode 07-11-2004 06:38 PM

Warren Zevon's "Life'll Kill Ya"
Various Kinks
Joseph Campbell's "The Hero's Journey..." (yeah, I know, it isn't music, but it says "What are we listening to now?")

wolf 07-11-2004 07:28 PM

The Laurie Anderson Anthology

jaguar 07-12-2004 02:28 AM

Quote:

Dandy Warhols "Welcome to the Monkey House"
I *love* that album, 'We used to be friends' is one of my favorites.

Cyber Wolf 07-12-2004 10:02 AM

Techno and dancehall from places other than the UK and the US, techno classics, motown, some jazz, video game music from then and now, very very little current pop/rock, more early 90's pop/rock, some seattle sound and dancehall, and world tribal from then and now. And Hans Zimmer.

lookout123 07-12-2004 10:18 AM

morphine "yes"

Beestie 07-12-2004 10:24 AM

Future Shock: Phantom Theory.

I like techno/industrial.

perth 07-12-2004 03:43 PM

Juliana Hatfield "In Exile Deo"
Nevermind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols
Beth Orton "Pass in Time"

jinx 07-12-2004 04:13 PM

Yes, Beth Orton is perfect for a day like today. I just put Central Reservation and Daybreaker in que. Thanks perth :thumpsup:

dar512 07-12-2004 04:22 PM

Ray Charles Greatest Country and Western Hits

smoothmoniker 07-12-2004 05:08 PM

pure unfiltered radio pop

elSicomoro 07-12-2004 05:49 PM

The Reverend Horton Heat--Revival

Morrissey--Southpaw Grammar

lookout123 07-14-2004 01:12 AM

hope & suicide - "razor blade smile"

helmet "meantime"

quicksand "slip"

threadbare "feeling older faster"

deadguy "fixation on a coworker"

c. mingus - just a compilation

smoothmoniker 07-14-2004 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123
c. mingus - just a compilation

Have you read "Beneath the Underdog?"

-sm

lookout123 07-14-2004 11:15 AM

no - i haven't sm. i have to admit that i haven't listened to any real jazz in years. i am just rediscovering the joys and a friend made me the mingus comp. i don't even know what specifically i am listening to.

interestingly enough - the first mingus compositions that i was aware of were performed by a metal(ish) band. 10-12 years ago, they did it as a side project and i just happened to catch them at one of their shows. 2 guitars, 2 basses, a hellacious percussionist and a lot of enthralled folks for 1 hour of nonstop music.

wolf 07-14-2004 11:16 AM

Best of Star Trek Themes
Isao Tomita - Pictures at an Exhibition
Evita/Broadway Cast
Focus - Moving Waves
Peter Schilling - Von Anfang bis Jetzt

Why yes, I am such a geek. Thanks for asking.

Catwoman 07-14-2004 11:18 AM

Right this second - Primal Scream Give Out But Don't Give Up (Portishead Remix)

Happy Monkey 07-14-2004 12:06 PM

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Radio Show.

And I just finished editing out the dialog from the Pulp Fiction soundtrack CD. I've got a pet peeve against breaking up a soundtrack with dialog segments.

Beestie 07-14-2004 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
Peter Schilling - Von Anfang bis Jetzt

Cool! Major Tom was one of my favorites back in the early days of MTV. But I could NOT remember the name of the song or artist! Peter Schilling sounded familiar so I Amazoned it and lo, mystery solved! I hope its in iTunes but a surprising number of early 80s stuff is not in there.

wolf 07-14-2004 01:23 PM

I have several of his german only release albums thanks to the magic that is half.com

Couldn't find CDs of American Releases. I loved the "Major Tom" song, but liked the other tunes on his first album so much that I wore out the cassette.

DanaC 07-14-2004 05:22 PM

I am totally addicted to a singer called Regina Spectre. Her album Soviet Kitsche is amazing. It's not often I am moved to tears by a song, but Chemo Limousine did. Just the way she phrases things. Her songs are about real life in all its mundane grandeur. She's funny too at times and her voice is enchanting. She can rock some too. Sometimes she has a touch of the whitestripes to her.

perth 08-09-2004 01:37 PM

Komeda - Kokomemedada

I picked this up after hearing one of their songs on NPR. I really don't know how to describe it, except to say that it's pop music, only... without the suck.

zippyt 08-28-2004 01:20 AM

the essential clash collection . AAAAALL the good stuff !!!!!

lookout123 08-28-2004 01:57 AM

joshua redman
krs-1
public enemy
misfits
rival schools

cowhead 08-30-2004 01:29 PM

I just got the new Thrice album.. (Artist in the Ambulance) and It really really rocks.. wow that guy can play guitar.. and the new Atreyu (the Curse), oh me oh my... still picking my jaw up off the floor.

jinx 09-06-2004 10:19 PM

Be careful, not too loud...

wolf 09-08-2004 11:54 PM

Beru Revue, Live at the Empire Rock Club 1986

Old show tapes are a wonderful thing.

Catwoman 09-09-2004 03:11 AM

Pink Floyd - Time

Trilby 09-09-2004 07:22 AM

Harry Belafonte's greatest hits--DAY-o!

:biggrinba

Undertoad 09-09-2004 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
Beru Revue, Live at the Empire Rock Club 1986

The drummer I'm working with now was a founding member! He also played with the A's - remember them? - as well as a TON of other people.

vsp 09-09-2004 08:47 AM

Someday, Beru Revue stuff will turn up on P2P networks. Call me a fool to dream.

My CD player has a Frank Zappa CD in it right now, but that's not unusual.

ladysycamore 09-09-2004 10:09 AM

Playing now: LL Cool J's new clubbanger, "Headsprung". Heyyyyyy.... :D

Griff 09-10-2004 05:05 PM

Do you remember that time before REM became over-played? Right now on the *cough* turn table Reckoning circa 1984. One fine album.

perth 09-10-2004 05:30 PM

Still mostly Komeda, though I'm throwing in some of the following:

Juliana Hatfield, "In Exile Deo".
Sarah McLachlan, a bit of everything, but mostly tracks from "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy".
And for a bit of fun, Madness, self-titled.

melidasaur 09-10-2004 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt
the essential clash collection . AAAAALL the good stuff !!!!!

The Clash rock my world!

I'm listening to Keane, the Killers, and Morrissey right now.

ladysycamore 09-10-2004 06:43 PM

Isley Bros. "It's A Disco Night (Rock Don't Stop) (Parts 1 & 2)". :thumbsup:

*jammin'!*

NovemberRain 09-10-2004 09:08 PM

Earth, Wind, and Fire - September

wolf 09-11-2004 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
The drummer I'm working with now was a founding member! He also played with the A's - remember them? - as well as a TON of other people.

Way cool ... who's the drummer?

Undertoad 09-11-2004 05:25 PM

His name is George Manney. He ran jam nights at Dobbs for years and has produced and worked with a TON of people... and now we have Leigh Goldstein on keys who currently runs jam nights at the Point. So basically, everyone in this act but me has a Philly music scene resume as long as yer arm but I'm gonna hang with 'em and pull it off with serious style baby!!

wolf 09-12-2004 09:45 AM

That is just so freakin' cool. :)

You go, dude.

(I was asking because I recently met a drummer who worked with a lot of different acts through the 80s, and it would have been hilarious if he were the guy you're working with. He's not.)

Undertoad 09-12-2004 11:33 AM

I can't help but talk about it and brag on it because I'm so excited about it. I have had a long streak of bad luck, and I believe it's finally turning these days.

elSicomoro 09-12-2004 11:46 AM

I really have to finally go out and buy this CD..."Monster for the Masses" by Afroskull...21st century funk...fucking awesome!

Holy shit...I didn't know that NovemberRain was on here! I also just discovered that Wonderwench is registered here too...God, that's scary.

NovemberRain 09-12-2004 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamore
I really have to finally go out and buy this CD..."Monster for the Masses" by Afroskull...21st century funk...fucking awesome!

Holy shit...I didn't know that NovemberRain was on here! I also just discovered that Wonderwench is registered here too...God, that's scary.

Yeah, we both registered months ago. I just came back the other day. I don't think WW has been back here since she registered.

elSicomoro 09-12-2004 11:53 AM

I noticed that...you guys registered here before I had heard of/joined LD.

NovemberRain 09-12-2004 11:55 AM

We registered here because a former LD member disappeared at around that time, and we heard that she had turned up here.

elSicomoro 09-12-2004 12:03 PM

If you're referring to Gwennie!, she disappeared from here too, shortly after she wrecked her car.

I'm surprised WW hasn't frequented Cellar more...the political views here tend to run closer to her own. Of course, maybe she just likes to fight. :)

NovemberRain 09-12-2004 12:06 PM

I didn't hear about Gwennie!'s car wreck. I hope she's okay.

I have no idea why WW hasn't been back here. She's not posting much on any of the other boards now either. I guess she's staying busy lately.

wolf 09-12-2004 01:17 PM

Wasn't that a DUI? Perhaps she's a guest of her state of residence for a time?

NovemberRain 09-13-2004 10:58 AM

Roger Waters - Who Needs Information

jinx 09-28-2004 10:19 AM

Dave Matthews with Warren Haynes - Cortez the Killer (live Neil Young cover)

Catwoman 09-28-2004 10:45 AM

Groove Armada - Dirty House Sessions
before that Mark Knopfler Shangri La
before that Dire Straits (thank fuck for Dire Straits)
and before that some African blues.

glatt 09-28-2004 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catwoman
Groove Armada - Dirty House Sessions
before that Mark Knopfler Shangri La
before that Dire Straits (thank fuck for Dire Straits)
and before that some African blues.

I didn't know Mark Knopfler had a new CD. How is it?

I almost wish I didn't find out about the CD. I have a list of stuff I want to buy, but no spare money these days. Now I get to add this to the list.

Griff 09-28-2004 05:46 PM

New York Ska-Jazz Ensemble self titled pretty much what the name implies...good stuff!

bluesdave 09-29-2004 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff
New York Ska-Jazz Ensemble self titled pretty much what the name implies...good stuff!

Speaking of Jazz, does anyone in the Cellar like real Jazz? I mean people like Tommy Flanagan, Hank Jones, Wynton Kelly, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Louis Armstrong, Teddy Wilson, Art Tatum, to name but a few? I bet the answer is no, going by what I've seen in these postings. What a shame. :(

Catwoman 09-29-2004 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
I didn't know Mark Knopfler had a new CD. How is it?

I almost wish I didn't find out about the CD. I have a list of stuff I want to buy, but no spare money these days. Now I get to add this to the list.

Only listened to it a few times, I don't know that it's as good as some of his other stuff, but maybe it will grow on me. By far his best album is Sailing to Philadelphia - if you haven't got it I thoroughly recommend it. I get most of my music from www.slsknet.org - brilliant fast downloading and free (and just slightly illegal)!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesdave
Speaking of Jazz, does anyone in the Cellar like real Jazz? I mean people like Tommy Flanagan, Hank Jones, Wynton Kelly, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Louis Armstrong, Teddy Wilson, Art Tatum, to name but a few? I bet the answer is no, going by what I've seen in these postings. What a shame.

Yes! Miles Davis is a god and Kind of Blue is probably the best jazz album in existence. I like acid jazz and nu-jazz but there is no substitute for real jazz. Went to Stockholm last year, spent a night at the famous Stampen club which was amazing, a tiny dingy club packed with old couples and beautiful young Swedes, surrounded by snow and jazz and warm mulled wine, I loved it. What a fantastic trip that was. If you can get hold of it I strongly recommend an album called The Hot Spot by Miles Davis and John Lee Hooker - it's only 30 minutes long but absolutely brilliant - true jazz at its finest.

edited for: duff link

glatt 09-29-2004 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catwoman
Only listened to it a few times, I don't know that it's as good as some of his other stuff, but maybe it will grow on me. By far his best album is Sailing to Philadelphia - if you haven't got it I thoroughly recommend it.

Sailing to Philadelphia is outstanding!