The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Sick 12yo Home Alone? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24936)

monster 04-17-2011 11:12 PM

Sick 12yo Home Alone?

My boy is barfing, so no school for him tomorrow. But I'm scheduled to teach a (special schedule) class from 8:30-9:30, and it's the first one of a two week series of a "course" I created, so a sub would be even less productive than normal.

Daughter had it last Weds, she barfed at night then just slept the next day. He should be fine. But I really don't want to leave him, even though he's just as sensible as she is and is most likely just to sleep and I'm only a phonecall away (She's 16 months older and I left her for an hour or so and she slept the whole time -I woke her with the phonecall to check she was ok ) but I also really don't want to let my class down when he should be just fine. I hate it when this shit happens. But I think I'mm'a choose my son -is that over-cautious/protective? It probably is, but I think I should stay home.

We are under threat of a snow day tomorrow. Now I'm suddenly thinking that might not be such a bad thing, even if it is mid-April.

monster 04-17-2011 11:25 PM

OK thanks y'all -just writing it out confirmed my need to stay at home. I hate letting people down, but family first. He's a different type of recuperator. Even if he was two years older, I'd probably feel the need to stay at home.

Griff 04-18-2011 05:35 AM

hmmm... I dunno, I think I'd have left him alone. That is the individual parents call though so you have to make it.

DanaC 04-18-2011 05:41 AM

If he's the kind of kid that needs/wants you around during recovery then it'd probably stick in his mind more that you went, than it would in yours that you didn't.

Sundae 04-18-2011 07:46 AM

Depends on the child and you know him better than anyone else.
And I think you made the right call.

Clodfobble 04-18-2011 08:58 AM

Yep, obviously the decision's already made, but I'll still echo what you already know: it totally, totally depends on the kid. My barely-9 stepson could be left home alone sick, no problem whatsoever. My 12-year-old stepdaughter probably isn't ready to spend a day at home alone yet even if she were well.

Cloud 04-18-2011 09:11 AM

yes. I definitely think you should leave your sick child home alone.

monster 04-18-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 723878)
yes. I definitely think you should leave your sick child home alone.

How's the compassion and respect coming along? Or is it sometimes OK to make exceptions?

----

It was the right call to stay home, he was weak and wobbly when he woke up for a drink of water and needed helping back to bed. Now what have you all been feeding him behind my back? :eek: I'm putting off doing *that* laundry.......

infinite monkey 04-18-2011 10:12 AM

I sent him a case of hummus and pea soup. Was that wrong?

monster 04-18-2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 723900)
I sent him a case of hummus and pea soup. Was that wrong?

weird looking peas you have there in BFOhioioio.....

infinite monkey 04-18-2011 10:19 AM

Ummm, what do they look like? I may have mixed up shipments. :blush:

monster 04-18-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 723907)
Ummm, what do they look like? I may have mixed up shipments. :blush:

you really, really don't want to know.....

infinite monkey 04-18-2011 10:56 AM

:lol:

Well, good luck with the laundry.

monster 04-19-2011 10:53 AM

So today he was still not well enough to go to school. But he was well enough to be left. And now he's eating his first bowl of Rice Crispies and they seem to be staying there.... thanks for all your good wishes :)

Aliantha 04-19-2011 07:43 PM

I don't think I'd leave a sick 12yr old at home who was actively/really sick. I have however left my older boys at home from around that age when I've felt they're not actually sick but don't want to send them to school just in case.