The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Petri the Cockatiel (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9429)

SteveDallas 10-24-2005 07:35 PM

Petri the Cockatiel

1 Attachment(s)
Petri is about 3 years old and previously lived with a woman who is no longer able to take care of him. Our original plan was to get a baby tiel, but when our breeder friend-of-a-friend found out we had two kids he said Petri would be the perfect bird for us.

It's not the greatest picture because my camera was trying to focus on the cage rather than the bird.

Bitman 10-24-2005 07:54 PM

Got manual focus? Either that, or estimate the distance from bird to cage, back up by that amount, lock onto the cage (half-press the button), move forward, and take the picture.

Sun_Sparkz 10-24-2005 08:06 PM

cute!

1 Attachment(s)
I have got one of these.. he is so bossy he thinks he is the king of the house.. he likes to sleep on our slippers and poop in them!!

Dilly doesnt talk, but he is very tame. Dilly is short for Dillygaf (Do I Look Like I Give A Fuck?) because he is so placid.. you can take him anywhere, do anything and he just doesnt care..

i hope you enjoy your teil.. although they need a lot of attention, they are great pets...

footfootfoot 10-24-2005 09:32 PM

I admit I am a bit skeptical about bird pets, but dilly is pretty cute.

Elspode 10-24-2005 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Frank is our 'tiel. He's real weird. He wants lots of attention, but he'll bite your arm off if you try to put him on your finger when he's in his cage. He will sit on a finger out of the cage, *if* you can get close enough to him to get him to step up. Not real friendly in the conventional sense, but really, really likes attention, being talked to and such. He gets real upset if he hears you come in the front door and you don't come to see him.

xoxoxoBruce 10-24-2005 11:22 PM

I don't get it.
Quote:

so bossy he thinks he is the king of the house
Quote:

sleep on our slippers and poop in them!!
Quote:

He wants lots of attention
Quote:

he'll bite your arm off
Quote:

Not real friendly
What ever blows your skirt up, but I don't see the value of keeping a bird. :whip:

BigV 10-24-2005 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode
Frank is our 'tiel. He's real weird. He wants lots of attention, but he'll bite your arm off if you try to put him on your finger when he's in his cage. He will sit on a finger out of the cage, *if* you can get close enough to him to get him to step up. Not real friendly in the conventional sense, but really, really likes attention, being talked to and such. He gets real upset if he hears you come in the front door and you don't come to see him.

Els, situating Frank's cage across from the oscars. They're obviously conversational bores; "Is it dinner time yet? I'm hungry. Have we got anything to eat? I'm starving. Where's the pizza guy?" etc etc. Frank needs more stimulation than that, y'know.

Elspode 10-25-2005 01:04 PM

Actually, Frank sits directly across from our computers in our office room. We recently discovered that he seems to enjoy opera, so I'm planning on finding a good streaming opera music channel online and running it during the day while he's home alone.

You are correct in your allusion to the Oscars' being rather single-minded, though. If it isn't food, it isn't worth their minimal brain power being expended on it.

wolf 10-25-2005 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I don't get it. What ever blows your skirt up, but I don't see the value of keeping a bird.

The bigger the bird, the more demanding they are of attention.

A friend of mine has a greenwing macaw. Well, sort of. He's a plucker, so mostly he's a naked macaw.

The infant children were easier to take care of.

SteveDallas 10-25-2005 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bitman
Got manual focus? Either that, or estimate the distance from bird to cage, back up by that amount, lock onto the cage (half-press the button), move forward, and take the picture.

Yeah, yeah, I was in a hurry. I needed a quick pic to send off in email and he wasn't feeling like coming out of the cage and I wasn't feeling like futzing with the camera.

Elspode 10-25-2005 04:17 PM

There, but for the combination of avian and human apathy, was a great photo. :)

Griff 10-25-2005 04:45 PM

So you three are all sharing a bird? Do you mail him back and forth?

SteveDallas 10-25-2005 05:08 PM

Why would we mail him? He's a bird... he just flies around from house to house.

footfootfoot 10-25-2005 09:47 PM

The photo's kind of blurry, but is that mold growing on petri?
[rimshot]

Elspode 10-25-2005 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff
So you three are all sharing a bird? Do you mail him back and forth?

Yeah, and the poor guy is getting kinda MPD, what with three different names and all.