The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Discrimination? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14076)

Ibby 05-06-2007 09:05 AM

Discrimination?

Is it discrimination and sexism to say that, in the dance unit for PE, you will get a worse grade for not dancing with the opposite sex, or simply be forced to pair with people of the opposite sex?

Cloud 05-06-2007 09:48 AM

no

wolf 05-06-2007 01:08 PM

Nope.

Do you think it's discriminatory when they make you spell words the same way they appear in the dictionary?

xoxoxoBruce 05-06-2007 01:57 PM

No. It's dancing not sex.

Although dancing leads to sex.

bluecuracao 05-06-2007 08:18 PM

It depends on what their reasoning is for it. At the least, it sounds like a silly rule to me.

Aliantha 05-06-2007 08:20 PM

Well as long as you both don't want to 'lead'... ;)

Ibby 05-06-2007 08:21 PM

Why should a person have to dance with the opposite sex if they don't like the opposite sex?

And dont even get me started on 'The GUY has to lead, while the girl has to follow...' and all that shit.

Dancing doesnt have to be sexist; why does the school get to enforce a sexist code for dancing?
Schools shouldnt be able to discriminate by gender for any reason.

Aliantha 05-06-2007 08:23 PM

I remember when I was in school the girls often had to dance together because there was always an abundance of us.

I don't see what the challenge is really.

bluecuracao 05-06-2007 08:30 PM

Did you ask the teacher why there's such a requirement? :confused:

monster 05-06-2007 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 341095)
Why should a person have to dance with the opposite sex if they don't like the opposite sex?

And dont even get me started on 'The GUY has to lead, while the girl has to follow...' and all that shit.

Dancing doesnt have to be sexist; why does the school get to enforce a sexist code for dancing?
Schools shouldnt be able to discriminate by gender for any reason.

Would you object if the partner the school picked for you was ugly?

The dance taught in schools should not be sexual. In a way you are bringing sex into it if you refuse and you are discriminating if you refuse.

But let's approach this practically. Say the school allowed people to dance with the partner of their choice. Then the "couples" would dance together, the single girls would dance together and the single boys would refuse. mostly. That's just the way it is. This rule is probably the most practical way for the school to get the stuff done. And for that reason, I wouldn't say it's discriminatory.

I might question why the school feels it's necessary to make paired dancing compulsory (as it sounds it is).

Would you claim it's discrimination if you are not allowed in the ladies locker room? Even if you have no interest in the girls? Would you think that their request that you not be allowed in unreasonable? Or discrimination? If so, I think you'd be in the minority.

Cloud 05-06-2007 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 341095)

Because half the world is the other half, and you better learn to live in it. Dancing is a social skill (as well as a joy), and learning to live with your fellow people is what growing up and being a human is all about.

Don't be ridiculous. After all, they have to dance with you. It's only social intercourse.

Spexxvet 05-06-2007 09:18 PM

If you are being graded on your ability to dance, the gender of who you dance with should not effect that grade. If it does, something is not right. If you were being graded on your ability to play basketball, would it matter which gender you played against?

xoxoxoBruce 05-06-2007 10:00 PM

Could, would, should. It's a damn high school, in China, you do what you're told. If you think high school sucks, wait till you get a whiff of the real world.

Ibby 05-06-2007 10:11 PM

Jeez, bruce, cool it. I dont really mind dancing with the girls - notice my comment on the 'whats making you happy?'thread - but it bothers me that it's mandatory that you HAVE to dance with the opposite sex.

xoxoxoBruce 05-06-2007 10:24 PM

That's exactly what I was talking about, it's high school. They don't give a rats ass if you think it's fair. High school is not a democracy, so it doesn't matter if you like it or not. You do what you're told or pay the penalty. Simple as that.