The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Who wants their life digested and regurgitated by me for a paper? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23564)

morethanpretty 09-15-2010 03:23 PM

Who wants their life digested and regurgitated by me for a paper?

I am taking a course in Cultural Anthropology and have to write a paper over the semester "about someone whose life is in many ways different from your own." Being the social butterfly that y'all know me to be...I'm kinda short on people I know in real life who I would consider having a different life than my own, and who I feel like using for a subject. So I'm appealing to y'all. If you would be willing to let me write a 7-10 page paper over your life and describing its cultural context, please let me know!
I figure we'll mostly conduct the interviews via email, so distance is no hamper (and probably is a benefit).
If I somehow get an overwhelming number of responses, I'll choose the person who has the dirtiest secret to tell me.

Elzi, your secrets might be the dirtiest but then, they're not really all that secret now are they?

Not really, I'll probably choose by lot to avoid having to make a real decision.

"A superior paper will show how a set of events shaped the person and reveal the order of their life within and against the organization of their world."

fargon 09-15-2010 03:55 PM

Me,Me, Pick Me!!!

squirell nutkin 09-15-2010 04:09 PM

I'm curious. I
I'll volunteer.

Bullitt 09-15-2010 07:38 PM

I'm up for it!

Clodfobble 09-15-2010 08:19 PM

Well if none of these strapping young men do it for you, I'll volunteer. ;)

TheMercenary 09-15-2010 09:24 PM

I would do it for you, how divergent could you get from someone like yourself but me! :)

GunMaster357 09-16-2010 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morethanpretty (Post 682678)
If I somehow get an overwhelming number of responses, I'll choose the person who has the dirtiest secret to tell me.

Bit of a problem there: if it is a secret, no one will tell you unless he/she is selected.

Nonetheless, I, too, volunteer.

Yznhymr 09-16-2010 04:36 PM

Oh yea, I'd toss my hat in that ring...mystery is my middle name...and I've got some of the scariest skeletons in my closets.

DanaC 09-16-2010 04:57 PM

I'd be willing.

monster 09-16-2010 06:42 PM

You should have the cellar vote on who you study :D

morethanpretty 09-16-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 682862)
You should have the cellar vote on who you study :D

I think I'll take that suggestion.
So, on Sun (9/19) around 12am(GMT-0) I will open a poll with all the dweller volunteers at that time to be voted on. Then on Wed (9/22) 12am (GMT-0), whichever one is in the lead will be my subject.

glatt 09-16-2010 07:08 PM

awesome. (I'm not going to volunteer, because I think you got some better candidates already. But otherwise, I'd be willing.)

Stormieweather 09-16-2010 07:28 PM

I'd volunteer, but:

1) I'm already writing a fictionalized version of my life

and

2) I don't have the time to add even one more thing to my to-do list

Good luck though! Hey, will you share your paper with us when it's done?

morethanpretty 09-16-2010 07:33 PM

I don't mind sharing as long as who ever is my subject agrees. By all means though, I don't expect the volunteer to want it to be shared.

Sundae 09-17-2010 12:34 PM

I volunteer too!
I live in a different part of the world, am older than you (almost a different generation) and my psychological and addiction problems have left me living back with the 'rents at 38. That's my pitch anyway.

I'll vote for Dana in a poll though - she's been through more than me (in her teens at least) and is back in education and a representative of a political party which is quite left wing by American standards. I know you're a liberal with a small l, but Dana's political views were firmed during the Thatcher years, whereas you were still a baby (as opposed to a babe) during the Reagan years.

Good luck with whoever you choose of course.