The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Where Dat (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33685)

xoxoxoBruce 08-22-2018 04:18 PM

Where Dat

1 Attachment(s)
News articles and stories about the US often refer to various regions that leave me wondering where the hell is that.
But I really don't believe half of CT is New England and the other half Mid-Atlantic.

glatt 08-22-2018 06:46 PM

I don't think of NY as being Mid-Atlantic. It's strong enough to be its own region. The Mid-Atlantic starts with New Jersey and stops with Richmond. Maybe Richmond.

Gravdigr 08-23-2018 01:58 PM

That map is total bullshit.

No midwest.

And I have never heard reference to the Highlands of America.

glatt 08-23-2018 03:27 PM

And what about the Colorado Plateau?

glatt 08-23-2018 03:28 PM

Also could be known as Four Corners?

Gravdigr 08-23-2018 03:39 PM

And Florida gets it's own region.

Carruthers 08-23-2018 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As an outsider looking in, one glaring omission is that of the Midwest.

I've never really known where it is and have been content to think of it as an amorphous 'bit in the middle'.

Having done a search or two I find that the Midwest stretches from Nebraska as far east as Ohio!

Really?

Attachment 64671

LINK

Clodfobble 08-23-2018 04:08 PM

The Midwest is defined by what it's not. If you're not on the east coast, or part of The South, or New England, or within sight of the Rockies... then you're in the Midwest.

The little gunslinger pistols in Texas are amusing. Nobody else got clipart.

xoxoxoBruce 08-23-2018 04:34 PM

I always figured the mid-west was the non-mountainous part from the Appalachians to the Rockies, but it probably would be defined a hundred ways by a hundred people. :confused:

But I wonder if these constantly thrown about "regions" are actually defined or just what they mean to a particular person. I guess it really doesn't matter until you try to define the border at overlapping edges.

Happy Monkey 08-25-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1013920)
And Florida gets it's own region.

That's where "Florida Man" from all the headlines is from.

xoxoxoBruce 09-21-2018 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a short way to hit 49 of the states. Designed as a motorcycle tour but you could use a different mode of transport...
Looks to me like they missed West Virginia and Rhode Island.:eyebrow:

lumberjim 09-22-2018 11:22 AM

if you say 'pop' instead of soda, you're in the midwest

Griff 09-22-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1013924)
As an outsider looking in, one glaring omission is that of the Midwest.

I've never really known where it is and have been content to think of it as an amorphous 'bit in the middle'.

Having done a search or two I find that the Midwest stretches from Nebraska as far east as Ohio!

Really?

Attachment 64671

LINK

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1013926)
The Midwest is defined by what it's not. If you're not on the east coast, or part of The South, or New England, or within sight of the Rockies... then you're in the Midwest.

The little gunslinger pistols in Texas are amusing. Nobody else got clipart.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1013927)
I always figured the mid-west was the non-mountainous part from the Appalachians to the Rockies, but it probably would be defined a hundred ways by a hundred people. :confused:

But I wonder if these constantly thrown about "regions" are actually defined or just what they mean to a particular person. I guess it really doesn't matter until you try to define the border at overlapping edges.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 1015614)
if you say 'pop' instead of soda, you're in the midwest

Tornadoes, tornadoes tell you what's midwest. I like the highlands designation, sounds kinder than hillbilly country.

sexobon 09-22-2018 12:31 PM

Well, the Midwest is the geographical area around the intersection of the middle of the Northern Hemisphere and the middle of the Western Hemisphere. That's a mouthful though. Figuring most people would already know that they're about halfway between the equator and the North Pole, just by the weather, that part is implied and the tern focuses on referencing the midway point across the Western Hemisphere.

Most human beings aren't astute enough to make this association; so, you may not find any sources for this information other than me. I will endeavor to further everyone's understanding; however, by posting a link:

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/12005

No need to thank me. All in a day's work for Bicycle Repairman (misconceptions repaired too). ;)

lumberjim 09-24-2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1015616)
Tornadoes, tornadoes tell you what's midwest. I like the highlands designation, sounds kinder than hillbilly country.

and remember, if you see a tornado:

Point, yell 'tornado!' and run like hell.