The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Videogames and the Gaming Gamers who Play Them (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=5412)

Chewbaccus 06-15-2004 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sycamore
The GameStop up the street from my house seems pretty decent...the few times I've went up there, I haven't been hassled.
*shakes fist at stingy HR managers

To answer an all-too-regretfully negected question, I'm down on Sony because they don't impress me. Any game that Sony fields I'm either not interested in, or can find on GameCube or Xbox. The graphics, I feel, pale when set alongside GC/Xb, though I respect what THQ can do when they put out a WWE title. Audio, Clod has covered already. Overall, I've just never been drawn to the system.

And vsp's right, I got cornered last time I was at GS with their value card/GameInformer subscription deal. I'm at a weakness when I go in there - the cashier is this guy me and my friend on our site both know, and my friend continually drops E3 into every other sentence of conversations with him. I took the GI deal more out of penance than value, though value was present too.

It's so sad, I try to hide my connections whenever I talk to him, just to make him feel better.

(Guy picks up my copy of Rebel Strike to ring it up)
Guy: This is an awesome game.
Me: Yeah, I tried it out last year when I was in (bite tongue)...my friend's house.

(Guy shows off copy of GI with San Andreas as the cover story)
Guy: You know that they're making San Andreas a state, not a city?
Me: Yeah, I read that 'bout a week or so ago.
Guy: ...This issue just came out.
Me: ...Internet article.

jaguar 06-16-2004 01:34 AM

Am I the only one that finds consoles just plain crap these days? I am yet to see a really immersive, deep game on a console and developers seem to be dumbing down PC games specifically for consoles (Deux Ex 2 comes to mind).

Crimson Ghost 06-16-2004 05:42 AM

Goddamn, I feel old. I remember pumping quarters into the Pong machine at "Pietro's Pizza", Christ, probably before alot of you were born. Then there was Donkey Kong, PacMan, Space Invaders...............

Now, I know how the dinosaurs felt............

I feel like roadkill on the information superhighway................

richlevy 07-10-2004 05:18 PM

1,423,200 on RocketMania

I scored 1,423,200 (Mystifying Sage) on the easy setting in Rocket Mania

BTW, I downloaded the standalone game and found the graphics distracting. I play on average 10 games a week. Each game now lasts about 30 minutes.

I find it more fun than Tetris ever was, and just as challenging.

Bullitt 07-10-2004 10:31 PM

I dunno Jag, have you played Halo for xbox? That is one detailed and very immersive game. you feel like youre actually on the ring fighting for your life. One of the rare games that got dumbed down for pc... example, worthog flying physics.

cowhead 07-11-2004 08:32 AM

speaking of popcap games...

completely addiced to both Dynomite.. and Astropop deluxe..I don't know they are simple, funny games that pretty much 'do the trick' like old atari games...

as to immersive games.. hmmm has anyone here tried the new Final Fantasy? the online one? I know a couple of people who were left slackjawed and buggy-eyed and are hooked on it like some folks were on everquest (never tried it myself.. although Neverwinter Nights holds a spot in my blackenend little heart :)) )

also American Mc'gees' 'Alice' (for PC) is really cool... and well... if you've got a thing for knife weilding red-heads (and I do) it's pretty slick.. especially if you enjoyed the books

Happy Monkey 07-11-2004 09:10 AM

Amazing timing. Just this last Friday, I dusted off "Alice" and started playing it again. Last time I played it, my computer wasn't quite up to snuff. My new one handles it perfectly at maximum resolution/detail. Cool game.

richlevy 07-11-2004 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Amazing timing. Just this last Friday, I dusted off "Alice" and started playing it again. Last time I played it, my computer wasn't quite up to snuff. My new one handles it perfectly at maximum resolution/detail. Cool game.

I put it down a few months ago unfinished. I'm also stuck on Clive Barker's Undying and am deciding whether to consult a walktrough or keep on trying.

wolf 07-11-2004 08:17 PM

I have just started playing "Alice" today. I completed CSI: Dark Motives and allowed myself to install a new game. I'm trying to limit myself to one at a time, and playing them through to completion, otherwise I'll just never damn finish.

I'm liking Alice so far, though!

Cyber Wolf 07-12-2004 09:35 AM

I'm a big fan of real time strategy and role playing...Warcraft, Pharaoh, Black and White, several "Age of (fill in the blank)", other Blizzard and Sierra titles, among other things, and I'm a longtime player of UO. Any Baja runners present?

Bullitt 07-12-2004 11:50 AM

Oh man cyber, you just hit my all time fav. genre. Specifically, the C&C series. I'm mainly a fan of the Tiberian Sun edition, but i do enjoy some good ol origional Red Alert sometimes. Blizzard and Westwood need to team up and make a good ww2 RTS game, since there have been no good ones to date :P

jaguar 07-12-2004 12:02 PM

Tiber sun was ok....RA was amazing and RA2 was good.
I've been playing Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe of late, great fun and runs windowed so I can still attend to other things.

crossfire 07-17-2004 05:40 PM

the gamer of gamers

video games are my life and my passion. I play all different kinds except for sports. i also play on pc and ps2. i really want to get into software development. my favorite games are: Crazy taxi, spider-man 2, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Thirteen, Rise to Honor and a lot more.

Happy Monkey 07-17-2004 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richlevy
I put it down a few months ago unfinished. I'm also stuck on Clive Barker's Undying and am deciding whether to consult a walktrough or keep on trying.

Just finished Alice again. The Jabberwock was pretty cool.

crossfire 07-17-2004 07:15 PM

Even though i didn't finish playing Alice, it was a great game