The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Atheists Unite (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=25180)

monster 05-12-2011 09:52 PM

Atheists Unite

Not really, the poll is anon, but I gotta say, once I got over the general culture shock, being an atheist has been one of the hardest things about living here ...and I live in a gay-friendly college town. I really, really don't believe in any form of higher being/whatever, despite having superstitious tendancies (which I generally keep in check). But I find even the people closest to my way of thinking do the church thing as some form of insurance.....

this thing:

believe/there is a god -WIN
believe/there is no god -no loss
don't believe/there is a god -BIG LOSE
don't believe/there is no god -no victory

So I would be interested to know how many here truly don't believe. You won't be named, God/G-d/Allah won't know. ;)

HungLikeJesus 05-12-2011 10:01 PM

Based on the thread title, I think you will end up with a skewered pole.

Flint 05-12-2011 10:03 PM

Funny.

I question things. Like: why is there even a question of taking into account or not taking into account something that there is no way of knowing, AND that I would never have thought of on my own/doesn't make sense to me. Why would I even question that? OF FUCKING COURSE I wouldn't.

monster 05-12-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 733522)

is why it's in nothingland despite being rly frkn srs

morethanpretty 05-12-2011 10:21 PM

I went "not atheist" because I'm agnostic. I don't really believe that the possibility of a higher being is very high, but I'm not gonna deny there is a possibility. I think we (people) just have no way of truly knowing either way and those that claim to know are just kinda being egotistical.

Nirvana 05-12-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

You mean skewered hebrew right?

I'm going to Hell
Im going to Hell
I'm going to Hell

Nirvana 05-12-2011 10:26 PM

Oh wait

No Nirvana for me at this time

Pico and ME 05-12-2011 10:40 PM

Total atheist here. No doubts, no questions, no hedging, no need.

monster 05-12-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

You think those who believe will ignore?

morethanpretty 05-12-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 733532)
Total atheist here. No doubts, no questions, no hedging, no need.

No doubts, questions, hedging or need here either. I'm completely sure that I'm not sure.

Pico and ME 05-12-2011 11:08 PM

I used to though. I used to say that I don't believe in man's god, but how on earth could I possible know that there isn't some kind of creator? Now I just don't care. If my mind cant go there, then whats the point.

footfootfoot 05-12-2011 11:42 PM

I am polytheistic. I believe in lots and lots o' gods. As many as I can.

ZenGum 05-13-2011 12:45 AM

I don't mind religious people so long as they don't expect everyone else to take their make-believe game as seriously as they do.

sexobon 05-13-2011 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 733518)
... I find even the people closest to my way of thinking do the church thing as some form of insurance.....

Atheists can relate to agnostics and believers, without being hypocritical, by substituting both the past and the future for God while People form the present giving them free will. Atheists can devote time (i.e. do the church thing) to be sociable and reflect on past lessons related to future concerns; but, I wouldn't think very highly of people who did the church thing simply as some form of ritualistic insurance payment.

Sundae 05-13-2011 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 733556)
I don't mind religious people so long as they don't expect everyone else to take their make-believe game as seriously as they do.

Agree.
I don't judge them on what they believe but I am allowed an opinion on the way they behave. The road to hell is not paved with tolerance, no matter what the magic book says.