The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Pitching Movie Ideas (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16700)

Rexmons 02-25-2008 12:01 PM

Pitching Movie Ideas

anyone know how?

Clodfobble 02-25-2008 01:00 PM

Pitching to whom? Someone who will actually get it made?

Dude, I have some sad news for you. Ideas are a dime a dozen. Unless the whole screenplay is actually written, no one will give a damn, and even then, the damn they give will be incredibly, incredibly tiny.

lookout123 02-25-2008 01:13 PM

unless your name is Will Farrell and then you could walk into any director's office and say " get this. picture a monkey playing with himself while he is farting!" Because apparently if your name is Will Farrell, you can get anything made.

smoothmoniker 02-25-2008 02:44 PM

You know why? Because every movie Will Ferrell makes MAKES FISTFULLS OF MONEY!!

Did you forget that this is the movie business?

lookout123 02-25-2008 02:45 PM

oh, i know that. i find some of his movies hilarious. i just am amazed at some of the ideas that turn into films.

Flint 02-25-2008 03:18 PM

How long will he stay funny? It seems like, when they give somebody free reign to crank out 30 films a year, I get pretty sick of them.

Like, remember when Ben Stiller was funny? Now I can hardly stand to see his always-using-the-same-expression face. Enough already!

Another guy that could possibly face this pitfall is Vince Vaughn. I love Vince Vaughn, but you can only watch the same character so many times.

smoothmoniker 02-25-2008 04:44 PM

And then all they can do after that is cry themselves to sleep on their bed of money ...

Aliantha 02-25-2008 05:07 PM

I can't stand WF and I never have. Same with Ben Stiller. They're a pair of tools who like to play characters who are equally toolish. IMO.

Rex, if you want to get a movie off the ground there are lots of ways of going about it depending on what the idea is. Having a script written is a good start. From there it depends what your audience is and what the story is. Do you go to produce the thing yourself, or find yourself a production company. Do you used big name actors or nonamers?

If it's just a story idea you have, then you haven't got much going for you yet, but you could. If you can't write the script yourself, find someone to collaborate with. Hang around the local film school and find a student maybe, or approach the faculty for help if you're on a tight budget, otherwise, it's pretty easy to do it yourself once you get the format right (and this is important if you want anyone to take you seriously). Just remember, every page equals one minute of screen time.

Best of luck with it though. :)

Timo 02-26-2008 04:53 PM

reminds me of that episode of south park "awsome-o" where cartman pitches 800 ideas about Adam Sandler movies to some producers,
"Adam Sandler falls in love with this girl, but she turns out to be a golden retreiver,"
"ok ok Adam Sandler inherits a million dollars, but he was to become a boxer before he gets it,"
"Adam Sandler..... is trapped on an island, and he falls in love with a coconut,"

all the producers are like "oh my god thats brilliant! write it down write it down!"

exxxxactly like that,