The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Gift from Elspode: (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=28693)

Trilby 02-26-2013 07:18 AM

A Gift from Elspode:

We've gone so long without Winter's bane...so few snows of note. Tonight, we see the second of two record snowfalls upon us, and it is...remarkable.

Standing outside at 3 AM, the silence is absolute...no noises from the nearby highway, no birdsong, no human cacophony. There is only the determined hush of the snowfall, and the wind in the trees. As I stand and look over our driveway, I see the Honda being slowly, deliberately buried, and the tall fronds of the bushes next to it seeming to reach out to it, as though they were pleading for support, hoping in a plantlike way to find relief from the accumulating burden. They revolve slowly in the variable air, moving in a random, yet purposeful, motion, bearing the weight of the snowfall, yearning for relief.

I find myself wishing that I were a furry beast, hunkered down amidst the white accumulation. I wonder how it would feel to be in a tent above a treeline in some mountain wasteland, hearing nothing but the slow shush of the multitude of flakes as I drift off to sleep. The air is wet, cold, heavy, and sensual, and it calls us to our slumber. I am given the vision of the embrace of the Mother in Her chilled and hunkering grief, a last gasp of effort before She yields to the certainty of the coming Spring. It is the sense of death, a clothing of chill waters, a trial for all that seek to survive her inconsolably cold embrace.

Back inside the house, I hear the moan of the winds through the window frames, an auditory relic of the anguish of Demeter's longing for her daughter's return from the Underworld. Her pain is cast upon us, and we feel her emptiness one last time before Persephone once again rises to embrace her mother, and in so doing, frees us from the void.

The wind howls still, the snow falls, and we are blessed to know that this, too, shall pass.

Gravdigr 02-26-2013 02:46 PM

I used to make it a priority to take a walk in the first real snow of the season, no matter what time or temperature.

It was the most peace I'd ever known.

I miss it.

Sundae 02-27-2013 06:42 AM

That's lovely Trilspode.
Can't say it's how I feel, but it's a beautiful read and that's more important to me.

Trilby 02-27-2013 07:07 AM

Elspode wrote it on fb and asked me to paste and copy so that's all I have to do with it.

it's beautiful, isn't it.

jimhelm 02-27-2013 02:17 PM

did he forget his log in or something?

Trilby 02-27-2013 04:00 PM

I dunno. He just asked me to paste and copy.

I only do what I'm told, didn't you know that?

jimhelm 02-27-2013 05:40 PM

Well, no....but now that I do.....

....no, I think I'll save it for when we meet in meat space....

Sundae 03-02-2013 07:08 AM

Jim, be frank.
Am you gonna wank him off now you know he's Tril?

Big Sarge 03-02-2013 07:49 PM

What???? Is Elspode transgendered (not being derogatory) and she is really Trilby????

And ya'll wonder why I stay so confused

Sundae 03-03-2013 02:54 PM

You should be more concerned with Jim being Frank.