The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Products I wholeheartedly endorse (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16635)

richlevy 02-17-2008 01:16 PM

http://www.spencersonline.com/images...4.detail.a.jpg

I keep this at work. One button is a blue LED penlight. The other button is a red laser.

I also have one of these that I got for a few bucks (not $25!!!) from Circuit City before they discontinued it. The top is a magnet. The middle unscrews to reveal a small screwdriver with phillips/slotted heads.

http://thewritersedge.com/images_05/CD210_Silver.JPG
http://thewritersedge.com/images_05/CD101_Close2.jpg

Oddly enough, I haven't been able to find my invisible ink pen with built-in UV light.

Clodfobble 02-17-2008 02:31 PM

Oh, I thought of another one: Cetaphil moisturizers. Originally recommended by our pediatrician for the kid with the worst eczema, it worked so well that he was able to stop using all his other prescription creams, and everyone else in the house uses it now too, for both mild eczema and roseacea. It ain't cheap, but damn does it work.

jinx 02-17-2008 07:54 PM

Cetaphil: agreed. The soap is great too.
Sexy Hair products. I've loved everything Ive tried so far, especially the shampoos (Big, Curly)

Can anyone recommend a sneaker thats cushier than Nike Shox?

xoxoxoBruce 02-17-2008 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Streetsweepers.

Cloud 02-17-2008 07:57 PM

way too many flashing animations on that sexyhair website, jinx! I don't know anything about Nike Shox but high end New Balance shoes are pretty cushiony.

TheMercenary 02-18-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 432748)
Ooooh, cleaning products.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Not for general cleaning so much as marks, stains, anything that "won't" come off. It took black marker off a wall, crayon off a linoleum floor, and 5 years of gray gunk off patio furniture, all of which had been previously scrubbed senseless with a variety of cleaning products.

As with so many other things, the ads made it look gimmicky, and it wasn't until a woman I know demonstrated it for me--because she carries one in her purse at all times simply for the purpose of convincing other people how amazing it is--that I really understood.

My wife swears by this thing.

LabRat 02-18-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 432878)
Can anyone recommend a sneaker thats cushier than Nike Shox?

Jinx, I would recommend going to a running store to find a good shoe for you. NOT a Foot Locker or Eby's or somesuch, but a store made for runners, ran by runners, that only sell shoes that are worth a damn. Running Wild is the name of my favorite in this area code.

I started shopping there after a trip to a podiatrist to relieve an infected toe caused by running in shoes that it turns out were too big. I have never had shoe issues since I started buying from them over 6 years ago...no blisters, nothing. The brand of shoe isn't as critical as the proper size and fit. I can't stress this enough.

I have run in and loved: New Balance, Saucony, and Asics. All pairs have been $90 ea. No more, no less.

Take your current shoes in, tell them what you like/don't about them and they should be able to help you.

I know when my knees start to 'bug' me that it's time for new shoes. This is usually after running around 350 miles in a pair, no matter the brand. I buy new shoes, and poof, knees feel great again.

euphoriatheory 02-18-2008 01:46 PM

350 miles?!?! No wonder my tendonitis flares up.... when I was running Cross Country a few years ago, they told us to replace our shoes after 500 miles.

R2D3 02-18-2008 01:59 PM

Need attachements

LabRat 02-18-2008 02:13 PM

euphoriatheory- I run 85% of my spring/summer/fall miles on streets and sidewalks. Gravel trails and/or grass 'gives' more, and so you likely are going to get a bit more out of your shoes if that's the majority of surface you run on. Heavier runners, or those that are 'heel strikers' will likely get less...

YMMV

TheMercenary 02-18-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 433036)
Jinx, I would recommend going to a running store to find a good shoe for you. NOT a Foot Locker or Eby's or somesuch, but a store made for runners, ran by runners, that only sell shoes that are worth a damn. Running Wild is the name of my favorite in this area code.

I started shopping there after a trip to a podiatrist to relieve an infected toe caused by running in shoes that it turns out were too big. I have never had shoe issues since I started buying from them over 6 years ago...no blisters, nothing. The brand of shoe isn't as critical as the proper size and fit. I can't stress this enough.

I have run in and loved: New Balance, Saucony, and Asics. All pairs have been $90 ea. No more, no less.

Take your current shoes in, tell them what you like/don't about them and they should be able to help you.

I know when my knees start to 'bug' me that it's time for new shoes. This is usually after running around 350 miles in a pair, no matter the brand. I buy new shoes, and poof, knees feel great again.

We have a local store that video taped my running style and gait up close at the ground level and then told me what would be the best for me. They also measured the amount of pronation.

jinx 02-18-2008 05:32 PM

I don't even run, it doesn't seem like it should be so complicated, lol...
I just want to walk for a couple hours without my foot hurting. Actually, its just the one toe....
And the gel inserts are shit.

theotherguy 02-18-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 433130)

That might be your problem. Shit doesn't retain its squishyness over time. Try the blue ones. Not the brown ones.

TheMercenary 02-18-2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 433130)
I don't even run, it doesn't seem like it should be so complicated, lol...
I just want to walk for a couple hours without my foot hurting. Actually, its just the one toe....

Maybe you should see a podiatrist. You may have a boney deformity or something else.

jinx 02-18-2008 05:49 PM

Oh yeah, well maybe you have a boney deformity!

I was just thinking about the foot doctor rout last night though, might start there.