The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Products I wholeheartedly endorse (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16635)

Clodfobble 02-14-2008 01:16 PM

Products I wholeheartedly endorse

I swear we had a thread like this a long time ago, but I have searched and searched and can't find anything. At the risk of ruining a four-year, 5,000-odd-post reputation as a non-spammer, I sometimes find there are certain items that I am eager to recommend to my friends as unexpected gems in the dirtpile of commercially-available items.

First off, Breathe Right nasal strips. These things are amazing. Initially they look like a gimmick, but I've been congested (and disrupting Mr. Clod's sleep with snoring) for so long that I was willing to try anything. Holy cow. They really, really work. The first night I wore one I woke up feeling more rested than I had in months, and I'm told the snoring has stopped. I've used them every night since.

Anyone else have a recommendation to share?

lookout123 02-14-2008 01:20 PM

Bruce, can we get rid of this spam?

aimeecc 02-14-2008 01:26 PM

Wigwam Ultimax Cool Lite Socks. My feet always sweat, and by the end of the day they are soaking wet and stinky. Until I found these socks. My feet really appreciate me spending a few extra bucks on socks that keep them dry.

glatt 02-14-2008 01:39 PM

The Aerolatte.

It seems like a gimmick, and it is, if you don't like lattes. But with this little battery powered frother you can have better lattes at home than you can get from $tarbuck$. Fill a coffee mug an inch or two deep with milk. Microwave that milk for 30-45 seconds. Froth it for 5 seconds with the Aerolatte. Immediately rinse the Aerolatte under the faucet for a second and give it a short spin to get the water off. Pour the coffee into the frothed milk. Enjoy.

Since you aren't brewing with burnt coffee, it tastes better than what $tarbuck$ gives you.

lumberjim 02-14-2008 01:51 PM

uniball 207 gel pen

http://www.uniball-na.com/img/productcatalog/lg_207.jpg

Griff 02-14-2008 03:54 PM

Heh, he said uniball.

Flint 02-14-2008 03:56 PM

If you take luberjim and re-arrange the letters, it spells uniball.

classicman 02-14-2008 04:15 PM

Lube-er-Jim

Cloud 02-14-2008 04:21 PM

My little label printer. I luvs it! It's a Brother P-Touch QL-500 and it works so much easier and more conveniently than trying to do labels with a regular printer (or a typewriter). I asked for it at work, and they're like, why do you need that? You have a printer. (My printer SUCKS at labels). So I finally bought the damn thing myself, and I'm sooo glad I did.

It's the little things, ya know?

lumberjim 02-14-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 432373)
If you take luberjim and re-arrange the letters, it spells uniball.

lumberjim

rim jumble
rumble jim
mumbler ji.... ji.... jinx's favorite answer out of these three, i'll wager.

kerosene 02-14-2008 04:51 PM

Gamblin oil paints. They are like painting with warm whipped butter.

euphoriatheory 02-14-2008 04:52 PM

Crest White Strips. Seriously. Mah teeths is so shiney! :D

And Toyota. You can't kill these things. I am currently driving a 14 year old Toyota Carolla, and the thing barely even has rust. This is New England, where snow and salt are chewing away at it for 10 months of the year. It amazes me daily how well this thing has served me. I wish I were MORE embarrassed by it, but I'm just not.

jinx 02-14-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 432349)

That pen is crap. Zebra J Roller all the way.

http://www.boardroomproducts.com/images/T/t_84.jpg

Griff 02-14-2008 08:55 PM

Heh, she said J roller.

lumberjim 02-14-2008 08:57 PM

pah....not even retractable.

besides...if you're going to go zebra...you go all the way
http://store.officeworld.com/Product...B44110_1_1.JPG
zebra jimnie gel, baby...... :chills:

monster 02-14-2008 10:04 PM

you guys obviously haven't mastered the art of stealing everyone else's pens....

SteveDallas 02-14-2008 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, everybody else is doing pens, so I thought I'd post my Waterman. There's just something about the head computer geek taking out a fountain pen to sketch an explanation of email routing that appeals to my old school-ish-ness.

I would also recommend the Nikon D50 digital SLR or its successor models.

HungLikeJesus 02-15-2008 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 432378)
Gamblin oil paints. They are like painting with warm whipped butter.

Body paints, case?

lumberjim 02-15-2008 12:45 AM

rocky road lift kits

looks cool and rides better. now she just needs firmer struts up front.

DucksNuts 02-15-2008 03:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My pen of choice

lookout123 02-15-2008 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
FJ Cruiser. Never before have I had a vehicle that I could not make one single complaint about.

Cloud 02-15-2008 11:06 AM

Consumer Reports says poor visibility, lots of road noise, and poor handling, I thiink.

But it looks cool!

lookout123 02-15-2008 11:19 AM

They must be comparing it to some street bound luxury vehicle. It has a couple of blind spots if you don't use your mirrors, but no real issue there. The road noise is pretty good, unless you are comparing it highly insulated luxury vehicle. Poor handling? Don't know what the heck that is about, it is one of the most responsive vehicles I've ever driven. Mind you, not a BMW 7 series, but it isn't supposed to be. A monster off road, and a dream on road.

aimeecc 02-15-2008 11:41 AM

My husband bought the FJ Cruiser in August. Great reviews. We both hate it now.

Our chief complaint is that in order for a passenger in the back seat to get out, the person in the front seat has to unbuckle and open their door. The handle for the rear doors is akward no matter if you are outside opening it or trying to open it from the inside.

This is truly important to us, since we put our son in the back seat, and I sit with him. I'm essentially trapped. Heaven forbid we ever get in an accident and my husband is knocked unconscious. I'd manage to get us out... but it wouldn't be easy or quick.

We can't even pull up to a gas station and have me run inside to get something without it being a production.

I can only blame ourselves - we had been car shopping for months, doing thorough research, then the FJ Cruiser came out, and my husband went car shopping without me. It was almost an impulse buy. I was at home, reading reviews for him, which were all good. Had I been there, we would have noticed these things. But his car had gone through a series of breakdowns and he had reached the point of "I need to trade it in now before something else goes wrong."

I usually love Toyotas. I've owned the Camry (loved it), Highlander (loved it) and now the Sienna (love it). I just wish the Sienna (or any decent van) got better gas mileage. I would trade size for gas mileage. I want a van (and not a smaller sedan or hatchback that would get better gas mileage) because of the sliding doors. It really is difficult to get the car seat in and out of a sedan.

lookout123 02-15-2008 02:17 PM

eh, see the addage YMMV is always in effect. I've had mine since June '07. I put both my boys in the back of the FJ and the suicide doors don't bother me. I've never had any issue with the door handle at all. When I drop lil lookout at school i pull up, undo my seat belt and open the door. He is out and his door is closed just as fast in this as we can do in our full size truck. I rarely have adults sit in the back, never if the front seat is open.

Depending on what package you got you should be able to unload your FJ for a relatively small loss because they are still in short supply.

aimeecc 02-15-2008 02:20 PM

I'm sure if I rode in it more often than once a month it I would get used to it and have an easier time. We've thought about trading it in, but are worried about loss of value. I'll have to check out the package we got and see what its worth.

lookout123 02-15-2008 02:27 PM

yeah, it sounds like with your concerns it might not be the right vehicle for you.

I've logged >32,000 miles on mine since I got it. Mostly in town at 60-80 mph. Plenty of trips up north and west. It has been buried up to the hubs in mud and plowed through water up to the frame. It has carried dirty dogs, filthy kids, muddy soccer gear, and immaculately dressed businessmen. It looks equally at home in the desert covered in grime and at a five star hotel with a beautiful woman being helped out. Sadly for the guy in my office building, it still turns more heads than his Ferrari.

It's perfect for me.

aimeecc 02-15-2008 02:32 PM

I read a review when my husband was looking at it... I can't remember the exact words, but I think it was "ruggedly sexy". lol

I think my hubby has other complaints about it as well, I just don't remmeber off the top of my head what they are. He had a Ford Explorer he was very happy with, but it was over 100k miles and starting the break a lot.

The primary reason for the SUV is to pull the boat. No driving in mud (yet).

TheMercenary 02-15-2008 03:15 PM

This is mine and I love it. 7000 miles since Nov. It has been a big adjustment from 10 years of the F-150 but I must say it is so much better made.

http://images.motortrend.com/auto_sh...+side_view.jpg

TheMercenary 02-15-2008 03:17 PM

The other product I can recommend for insomnia is Kava Kava pills. I sleep well and have vivid dreams when I use it, usually about 2 times a month after a series of nights of insomnia. If you can find it get some. The stuff I have is powered pill form.

kerosene 02-15-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 432425)
Body paints, case?

No, but I just got an idea.

Cloud 02-15-2008 04:30 PM

you drive 80 miles an hour in town, lookout? geesh, and they made fun of my driving!

lookout123 02-15-2008 04:42 PM

i live in phoenix. everywhere i go is on freeway, so if i wasn't running 80 i'd be holding up the guy behind me.

HungLikeJesus 02-15-2008 04:43 PM

lookout, is the gas mileage pretty good?

lookout123 02-15-2008 04:47 PM

Nah, the gas mileage sucks. I avg about 18-19 mpg. oh well, i knew that before i ordered it.

I have/had:

87 4Runner
94 Toyota Pickup
99 4Runner Limited
99 Tacoma Prerunner
2000 Prerunner
2005 Prerunner quad cab

I know my Toyota trucks pretty well, so there were no surprises. Like I said, this is the first one that I've had ZERO complaints about.

lumberjim 02-15-2008 05:06 PM

i love my digital picture frame. my customers like it too. i could totally sell them.

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/i...ts/50_hero.jpg

kerosene 02-15-2008 05:08 PM

I want one! How much?

Cloud 02-15-2008 05:12 PM

okie dokie. "in town" I was thinking, like regular commercial streets and stuff.

still . . . that's gotta be way over the speed limit, no?

lookout123 02-15-2008 07:31 PM

it's 65 on all the freeways. i'm never the fastest on the road. Just want to stay a little bit ahead of the pack. they're a bunch of crazy assholes out here. not you sheldon - i'm sure you drive great.

Radar 02-15-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 432374)
Lube-er-Jim

LOL!!!:biglaugha :jig:

Cloud 02-16-2008 02:05 PM

I like those wine in small bottles, like 4-packs. Very convenient for a single person like me. For example, I want to use some wine for cooking, I don't have to open and potentially waste an entire bottle. Easier to store. And it even comes in champagne!

xoxoxoBruce 02-16-2008 02:42 PM

"....potentially waste an entire bottle"

What? Waste wine? How in hell can that happen, short of dropping the bottle?

Cloud 02-16-2008 03:16 PM

well, I have a small refrigerator, and white wine is sometimes hard to fit back in there standing up after opening; red wine, sometimes it sits around for a while open . . . even if I can find one of my wine bottle closer thingies (which is about half the time), eventually it goes stale sitting around

or, you think I should just drink the whole bottle at once? ;)

xoxoxoBruce 02-16-2008 03:26 PM

YES!

lumberjim 02-16-2008 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 432551)
I want one! How much?

depends on size and features. my first one was a 7" i got last year shortly after xmas for $100....the new one is 8" with onboard memory, mp3 capability (which i think would just get annoying) and 2 different frames. one splits the screen into 4 small picture frames that coincide with a display mode that fits it. It was $150.

you can get a basic one for < $70 at this point, though.

Cicero 02-16-2008 04:56 PM

http://www.mrsmeyers.com/

This stuff is absolutely awesome to clean your house with. I was really quite afraid that the stuff was going to be hippy-like and not have the moxy to clean powerfully. I was so wrong....The toilet bowl cleaner worked like none other.....

Mrs. Meyers clean day products.....Awesome. The other name brand products were good, and cleaned effectively, but this stuff is better on the environment and leaves everything with a nice smell rather than toxic fumes.

Cloud 02-16-2008 05:00 PM

I use that stuff!

DanaC 02-16-2008 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cillit Bang! Bang! and the dirt is gone...

That advert pissed me off so much (I hate when adverts shout at me) that I avoided trying the product for about three years. I have now tried it and it is ridiculousky effective stuff. Like...when they show on the advert someone spraying the Cillit Bang (!!!) onto a greasy cooker hob, thick and blackened and never gone come clean again, no how....and then after ten seconds the hand appears with a sponge and just totally wipes away the black grease with no scrubbing.....that actually happens with Cillit Bang (!!!).

SteveDallas 02-16-2008 06:27 PM

Is there some UK pronunciation of "Cillit" that's not immediately apparent to us Yanks?

DanaC 02-16-2008 06:33 PM

Sill it
But in the advert the emphasis is on the Bang!!!
It features a man shouting a lot....Cillit Bang!!!! AND THE DIRT IS GONE!
Most annoying.

classicman 02-16-2008 06:48 PM

anyone thinkin' what I'm thinkin'???? (If so, there should be a clone thread already.

Clodfobble 02-16-2008 09:41 PM

Ooooh, cleaning products.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Not for general cleaning so much as marks, stains, anything that "won't" come off. It took black marker off a wall, crayon off a linoleum floor, and 5 years of gray gunk off patio furniture, all of which had been previously scrubbed senseless with a variety of cleaning products.

As with so many other things, the ads made it look gimmicky, and it wasn't until a woman I know demonstrated it for me--because she carries one in her purse at all times simply for the purpose of convincing other people how amazing it is--that I really understood.

Elspode 02-16-2008 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This stuff is excellent. Not as slimy as KY, persistent enough to make things easier until it really isn't needed anymore.

lumberjim 02-16-2008 09:49 PM

[hank]price check on vagiclean. better hurry.[/hank]

Aliantha 02-16-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 432706)
Cillit Bang! Bang! and the dirt is gone...

That advert pissed me off so much (I hate when adverts shout at me) that I avoided trying the product for about three years. I have now tried it and it is ridiculousky effective stuff. Like...when they show on the advert someone spraying the Cillit Bang (!!!) onto a greasy cooker hob, thick and blackened and never gone come clean again, no how....and then after ten seconds the hand appears with a sponge and just totally wipes away the black grease with no scrubbing.....that actually happens with Cillit Bang (!!!).

We have a rang of cleaning products over here called 'easy off bam' and the emphasis is on the 'bam'. I suspect it's the same company but different name maybe. It's pretty good stuff.

Cloud 02-16-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 432748)
Ooooh, cleaning products.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. . . . the ads made it look gimmicky, and it wasn't until a woman I know demonstrated it for me--because she carries one in her purse at all times simply for the purpose of convincing other people how amazing it is--that I really understood.

you sure that wasn't a commercial, LOL! Seriously, you're right. That stuff is great.

JuancoRocks 02-17-2008 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 432717)
anyone thinkin' what I'm thinkin'???? (If so, there should be a clone thread already.

:D

Mitch Fatel voice on:"Most guys don;t know what to do with it. They start banging on it and yelling at it and twisting it"

Trilby 02-17-2008 09:36 AM

O P I nailpolish

Aveeno moisturizers and cleansers

Dansko clogs

SteveDallas 02-17-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 432717)

That's kind of why I asked. :angel:

Cloud 02-17-2008 11:15 AM

I love my little electric garlic roaster! Silly gadget, but works so well, and the garlic is sooo yummy!