The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   the return: slightly less sad_, slightly more winslow (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=27335)

sad_winslow 05-13-2012 08:03 PM

the return: slightly less sad_, slightly more winslow

Good evening, everyone. Been lurking a bit lately again, thought I'd give a hello. I'm not terribly known around here, I guess, as I mostly lurk and disappear for stretches, but hello anyways. Nice to meet, or re-meet you.

I'm just finishing up my last semester at community college. I'm a couple months from turning 31, and I've been accepted to a real university for the fall. It's been a busy year, and it just keeps getting busier as I finalize admissions stuff, apartment shop to move to the university town, make sure i can pay for this mess, consider packing up my hoarder-esque apartment, and all that other business that comes with university. I'm kind of terrified.

What's been occupying your time off the internet, cellar?

regular.joe 05-13-2012 10:28 PM

Hi.

Time off the internet? Sorry, could you expand on that please?

ZenGum 05-14-2012 12:01 AM

Hi Winslow!

Sounds like you're grappling with life. :thumb: Onya!

Let us know how the study goes.

Trilby 05-14-2012 12:06 AM

Hi winslow. I'm glad you are less sad :)

sad_winslow 05-14-2012 01:25 AM

Hey :) Thanks. I try.

I know it's.. difficult to think of time pried away from the magic computer box, isn't it? I try to stay on the thing and avoid The Big Blue Room so long as I can, but life keeps happening to me anyways.

:greenface crapflood follows :greenface
I am... sort of, yes, grappling is a term. It's not been easy. Working my way from near the east coast USA to the west coast, slogging in crap jobs that still give me nightmares half a decade later. Destroyed my back and was gifted with perpetual pain and then a bit of diabeetus to boot.

After four years in a community college rebuilding the high school education I never got after leaving home at 17, I just got accepted at a university of california. Whoah. Whoah. Wishing my dad were alive to see the acceptance letter, but he died from cancer a few years ago and I have to put on a stone face about it because I don't have time to break down between the times I have to do things for other people, the times I have to do things for myself, and those secret moments in between.

All in all though I am utterly amazed, scared, elated, and confused about everything. That's the story of sad_winslow, how he got sad, and how he's taking steps to keep the sad away as best he can.
:greenface crapflood ends :greenface

So: I study, and I play video games, and occasionally I make things, like circuits or small wood projects or papercrafts or candles or soap or a thousand other things half-done, or bang on an acoustic guitar. I used to go driving a lot, touring the area, before my tiny gas-efficient car died and I got a gas-guzzling van and petrol prices skyrocketed. I also study some more after that.

I still want to hear from people, though: have you done anything lately? Read a book, taken up a hobby, played WoW and hit level cap on your DK, bought something, sold something, borrowed something, stolen something, started something or quit something or sacrificed a three-headed goat under a blood moon, built something or destroyed something? Caught an interesting disease or been cured of one? Found god, and put him back again?

Heck, you heard any good jokes? :)

Trilby 05-14-2012 01:51 AM

Who told you about the goat? :eek:

Trilby 05-14-2012 01:52 AM

PS - i dont type much here on this effing kindle thus the short reply.

sad_winslow 05-14-2012 10:51 AM

oh, i know allll about the goat. :D

sad_winslow 05-14-2012 10:52 AM

also, posting from a kindle? are you on a kindle fire? if so what do you think of it?

Undertoad 05-14-2012 11:26 AM

happy_loseslow is not as good of a handle.

Gravdigr 05-14-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sad_winslow (Post 811476)
...destroyed something?...

I destroyed my neighbor's front door, 'long about last Thanksgiving...it was not my finest moment.

I didn't know front doors could cost that much.

BigV 05-14-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 811515)
happy_loseslow is not as good of a handle.

What about happy_winhigh?

sad_winslow 05-14-2012 10:13 PM

Oh god, what did you do to the front door? Did you have a "Shining" moment?

Crap_Binload on the bad days. Mad_GinSloe if I'm drinking. Rad_Manglow if I've been exposed to radiation lately. Snap_Wandshow if I was a wizard.

I am actually a wizard, or so my friends tell me.

Mostly though, Sad_Winslow. :)

limey 05-15-2012 05:08 AM

I've just spend the weekend sleeping in a shed and playing in the orchestra for a small production of Gilbert and Sullivan's HMS Pinafore and Trial by Jury. Thanks for asking, SW :)

ZenGum 05-15-2012 05:57 AM

I just did a three day hike down to the southernmost tip of Australia in late autumn and had amazingly good luck with the weather.

and I didn't drop in on Sandy Possum who lives right near there! The shame!