The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Want to see what Pam sees every day? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31079)

fargon 12-05-2016 06:48 PM

2H2O is Hydrogen Peroxide.

Pamela 12-05-2016 10:06 PM

It must be the perspective making the tractor appear so large. Regulations on dimension are carved into stone, so it cannot be larger than regular semi tractor units. 13' 6" is still the max height; anything larger would strike low overpasses or snag overhead wire runs. Neither situation is a good thing.

Gravdigr 12-06-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 975541)
It's not the hydrogen, it's what comes out of the tailpipe that's the concern. I guess the exhaust from hydrogen burning is better than diesel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 975564)
Yup, just water vapor coming out.

Then, what is the concern?

xoxoxoBruce 12-06-2016 01:45 PM

BOOM!!

xoxoxoBruce 12-07-2016 11:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't mess with the darkside...

Gravdigr 12-08-2016 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 975662)
BOOM!!

Does the water explode?

I'm confused.

xoxoxoBruce 12-08-2016 02:34 PM

No, but any loose hydrogen from the tank/delivery system is dangerous. When I put in a new water heater I was getting what I thought was entrained air bubbles from the faucet. I got curious and ran the water in the bathroom sink for a minute, then shut it off and flicked my Bic. The fireball was three feet high. The sacrificial anodes that come in the heater reacted with my water when it was heated, and produced hydrogen. I read burning hydrogen isn't visible, but the explosion certainly is. :eek3:

Gravdigr 12-08-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

It's not the hydrogen, it's what comes out of the tailpipe that's the concern. I guess the exhaust from hydrogen burning is better than diesel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 975561)
~Wikipedia

Does that apply to our truck's situation. I'm too lazy to find out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 975564)
Yup, just water vapor coming out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 975634)
Then, what is the concern?

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 975662)
BOOM!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 975839)
Does the water explode?

I'm confused.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 975867)
No, but any loose hydrogen from the tank/delivery system is dangerous. When I put in a new water heater I was getting what I thought was entrained air bubbles from the faucet. I got curious and ran the water in the bathroom sink for a minute, then shut it off and flicked my Bic. The fireball was three feet high. The sacrificial anodes that come in the heater reacted with my water when it was heated, and produced hydrogen. I read burning hydrogen isn't visible, but the explosion certainly is. :eek3:

Why is what comes out of the exhaust pipe the concern if it's just water vapor? What, coming out of the tailpipe, is gonna go boom? If it's just water vapor coming out of the tailpipe, how is it gonna explode?

I'm only more confused.

xoxoxoBruce 12-08-2016 04:20 PM

Quote:

I guess the exhaust from hydrogen burning is better than diesel.
If you're going to switch from diesel to something else you have to ask if that something else is going to make nastier exhaust. With hydrogen the answer is no, it's just water vapor.

Gravdigr 12-08-2016 04:37 PM

Fuck this conversation.

xoxoxoBruce 12-08-2016 04:47 PM

What don't you understand? Hydrogen is an extremely volatile fuel to handle and transport, but once it's burned it's just water vapor.

BigV 12-08-2016 05:08 PM

Hey.
What comes out of the stacks/tailpipe is just water, water vapor. Period. Not explosive, just water.

However, the fuel, hydrogen, is highly flammable of course. LEAKS of hydrogen, could be trouble, like, the Hindenburg.

Also, leaking diesel, easy to notice, hard to ignite leaking gasoline, easy to notice, easy to ignite. Leaking hydrogen, impossible to notice, and depending on the concentration, explosively easy to ignite or impossible to ignite.

Just crossed convo threads, tailpipe vs leaks.

Gravdigr 12-09-2016 12:39 PM

Quote:

It's not the hydrogen, it's what comes out of the tailpipe that's the concern.

xoxoxoBruce 12-09-2016 12:46 PM

You forgot...
Quote:

I guess the exhaust from hydrogen burning is better than diesel.
:p:

footfootfoot 12-09-2016 05:48 PM

Perhaps I can clarify:

Gasoline is red and hydrogen is blue.