The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

monster 11-18-2007 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 408285)
Mid-afternoon HM said he was cooking a roast this evening if I was interested.
I hemmed and hawwed and realised the size of the roasts in the freezer he must already have started defrosting and there would be a right waste if I said no now, and also he probably felt he was treating me.

Well I had already decided to restrict my diet today after having loaded nachos last night. Was going to have smoked salmon offcuts (+cheap) with cracked wheat and raw veg. And tomorrow!

Anyway, I said yes and feigned enthusiam. But it's about four hours since. He hasn't asked how much I want re potatoes or any roast veg. I've already said in conversation I like my lamb pink. I said I'd have a small roast but no indication he hasn't already started the veg (I hope so, he knows I eat before 19.00 preferably).

I'm sorry - I come across as the bitch queen from hell, but I like to know what's coming. I'll be very grateful to his face - and indeed I am - I'd just have preferred some consultation.

Sorry again for venting - I kow I am lucky.

You're over-analyzing and internalizing too much.

1) go look in the kitchen to see what's going on
2) ask him where he's up to -it's not rude. You could even ask if you can help.
3) what waste? roast meat makes great sandwiches and these days there's a marvelous invention for leftovers call the microwave...
4) You want him to ask you how much you will eat? I'd consider that rude, if he is cooking for you as his guest. ..... just an extra tuppenceworth there.
5) I would not expect my guest to dictate meal times, meat rareness or portion control. Why do you expect to?

You don't seem yourself tonight. SG, are you OK?

hope it all went well.

Sundae 11-19-2007 03:01 AM

Nah, I've been really really low these last few days. Unable to sleep, finding basic tasks difficult, hating myself - so I was probably projecting some of that on him.

In my defence, I always ask a guest before a roast how many potatoes they want (and add two over), whether they want parsnips, roast onions. I ate to serve up a huge pile of food and have someone pick off one slice of meat and two carrots.

The time issue is simply that - I eat early, he eats late. Originally it was going to be 18.30. We ate at 19.45. Not a problem really, but as a twitchily punctual person I got jumpy.

It all worked out fine of course - the meat wasn't rare but it was very tender and the gravy covered the fact the veg were lukewarm. I'm sure he ate what I didn't afterwards.

I'm going to the doctors on an unrelated issue today, I'll tell him about my downswing. I'm sure it's all part & parcel though. Got a new gym class today (Reebok Deck?!) that might time me out enough to stop whining.

Aliantha 11-19-2007 04:19 AM

grandmother died this afternoon. We're going to Sydney tomorrow morning.

Sundae 11-19-2007 04:21 AM

Sorry for Dazza's loss
Hope it goes as well as it can

DucksNuts 11-19-2007 04:24 AM

Is reebok deck like a step class, SG?

Hormones getting you down maybe?

I would expect HM to ask you are vegies and portion...especially since he knows you are dieting.

I love RPM or Spin classes and *Stomp*....cross between Step and Pump (weights)

Aliantha 11-19-2007 04:30 AM

Thanks SG. You're a doll.

Perry Winkle 11-19-2007 07:21 AM

My grandpa fell and broke 6 ribs.

For the last few years he's been going downhill pretty steadily. . .And I'm not going to be able to see him for at least 13 months. That's optimistic, too.

Sundae 11-19-2007 07:32 AM

Yes Ducks, it was a very low grade step class - cardio to start as the warm up, then step, then resistance using bands. I found it very hard, especially the step and there were two exercises I couldn't do in resistance. So I'm going next week. Went to the gym as well - have my re-assessment tomorrow. HM says I wouldn't have been able to complete today's class 6 weeks ago. I just see what I can't do as usual. It's a long road.

Perry sorry to hear about your Granfather - 6 ribs is pretty spectacular. When my Grandad started to fall it sudenly became a common occurrence BUT it lead to him being diagnosed with Parkinson's and having his home fitted out for extra safety and balance. His falls got far less frequent.

All I can say is I know it's scary when your older relatives give you an inkling they won't be around forever - just stay in touch any way you can so you have nothing to regret just in case. I'm sure you'll be back to see him soon enough.

zippyt 11-19-2007 08:16 AM

Ali , sorry to hear of ya'll loss , I KNOW its a relief though ( for it to be over that is )

SG , let him cook what he wants ,
you eat what you want , ( if he whines you can tell him you are trying to diet )
smack your lips and tell him him GOOD it was ,
Then offer him a low cal desert

TheMercenary 11-19-2007 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 408456)
grandmother died this afternoon. We're going to Sydney tomorrow morning.

Total bummer, sorry for your loss.. could have been a blessing.

Chocolatl 11-19-2007 11:29 AM

Sorry to hear about Dazza's gran, Ali. Best wishes to him and his family.

DanaC 11-19-2007 11:50 AM

Sorry to hear about Dazza's loss, Ali. Also sorry to hear bout your Grandpa, Perry. Must feel worse being so far away. *hugs*

I have a good news update on my friend. She was discharged from hospital this afternoon and is now ensconced in her armchair at home. I'm just on my way down to see her now, actually. Glad she wasn't in longer, it's exactly the kind of thing that her political enemies would make a meal out of.....with sugared tones of concern obviously.
Still....she's out, she sounds a damn sight brighter than i was expecting her to and hopefully the new tranch of drugs will halt the worst symptoms again. *smiles*

Cicero 11-19-2007 12:31 PM

Holy Shit...Sorry Ali....that sucks.

Shawnee123 11-19-2007 01:03 PM

My sympathy to you and your family, Ali.

Aliantha 11-19-2007 04:15 PM

thanks again everyone. We're off to the airport soon. Just killing time waiting for the cab.

sorry about your Pop Perry. How come it's so long till you can see him?