The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Can ya spare some change mister? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16112)

lookout123 12-12-2007 11:19 AM

yeah, and these kids are a bit different too. they were involved in the chicago, hardcore/straightedge scene for years before having a revelation. it was pretty linear really.
A) I need a job to get money.
B) I know the job won't be what I really want to do, but I need to do it.
C) If it isn't what I really want to do anyway, what's the harm in writing music that isn't what I like to listen to?
D) If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.

Thus the birth of fall out boy. from day one it was designed to have create two things: decent music and GOOD money.
check and check.

their videos have included the old hard core faithful from chicago. they've shot them in the old clubs. they've used some of the money to support the scene. they continue to be involved in side projects that are closer to what they really like. the merchandise and products are theirs. they aren't getting raped like a lot of the young acts who stumble into success do.

BigV 12-12-2007 04:02 PM

l123, UT:

Sorry I was unclear. I didn't try very hard to explain my point. That point is this: I think it is right for UT to accept tips to cover expenses. Those expenses include regular expenses like the colo bill and the line charges as well as equipment, maintenance and upgrades. Without the gear, the whole concept is moot. Just because the equipment expenses are not as regular as a monthly phone bill does not mean they are not as important to pay.

UNFORTUNATELY they tend to be higher than the monthly phone bill.

FORTUNATELY they tend to be more infrequent.

UNFORTUNATELY the amount cannot be precisely known in advance.

FORTUNATELY the amount can be saved for.

So my point is the same as yours, l123. Collect the tips. Pay the bills. Save for the "not if, but when" expenses. One good way to do this is start the tip mug *empty* each month. It is an incentive to donate. I am more inclined to respond to the nag of an unfilled tip mug more than I am to a filled tip mug.

I'm not the biggest donor nor am I the biggest freeloader. I'm in the middle somewhere. It's easier for me to donate smaller amounts more frequently than it is for me to donate larger amounts less frequently. So I'm counting on UT to have saved for the big expenses, because I have less confidence in my ability to come through in the pinch with big bucks than I do in my ability to pay some as I go.

By the way, Thank You, Undertoad, very very much for making the cellar possible. My appreciation of your efforts exceeds by far my ability to pay or express. You have done a good thing here, and I am grateful.

ZenGum 12-13-2007 11:11 AM

Quote:

The base number is $250. I pay $380/month to colocate* three systems with unmetered** bandwidth, and the Cellar is kinda-sorta one-and-a half of them. The systems themselves are about $1000 and depreciate over three years in theory. And there are various extras here and there; rack rails, a little hub, mileage to get to the colo, etc.

Google ads on IotD blog view take up some of the $250.
As I read it UT is putting aside for the irregular expenses.
$160/m is for the hosting, so about $90/m is put aside as "depreciation" to replace thingamyfluzits that go fizz.
The man is a grown-up, after all.

HungLikeJesus 12-13-2007 11:14 AM

ZG, how did you get $160?

ZenGum 12-13-2007 11:21 AM

From this:
Quote:

I pay $380/month to colocate* three systems with unmetered** bandwidth, and the Cellar is kinda-sorta one-and-a half of them.
380 / 2 = 160

That's how I took this passage - that the cellar uses "one and a half" of three systems, and is thus responsible for half of the total cost of the three.
Dunno, you reckon I've misinterpreted it?

ZenGum 12-13-2007 11:22 AM

Answer two

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 416106)
ZG, how did you get $160?

Selling my ass, naturally. :eek:

HungLikeJesus 12-13-2007 11:23 AM

Sorry, my mistake.

I was using decimal (380/2 = 190).

HungLikeJesus 12-13-2007 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 416115)
Selling my ass, naturally. :eek:

A little girl goes in to a bank to deposit a big jar of nickels.

The teller says, "Oh my, little girl, did you hoard all these nickels yourself?"

And the little girls answers, "No. My sister whored half of them."

Shawnee123 12-13-2007 11:32 AM

Guy sends his wife to the street corner because they need cash, badly.

She comes home with $2.10. Hubby says "What cheap bastard gave you a dime?"

"All of 'em" she responds.

ZenGum 12-13-2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 416117)
Sorry, my mistake.

I was using decimal (380/2 = 190).

You know, I think you might be right there.
Foolishly, I was using a variable-base quasi-logarithmic alternating inverse-power factorialization system.
Decimal would probably have been better. :dunce:

Undertoad 12-13-2007 02:20 PM

Well much of the cost of the last server was borne by an anonymous Cellar benefactor, but not all of it... nor actually has the Mug produced a surplus for a long time. I just wanted to set the correct place for the mug's 100% level. Anyhoo, it's great that there is now a building surplus fund that will go towards the next failure or the next expansion, whichever comes first. I have ordered four sticks of rather expensive 1GB ECC memory to install into the current server, to try to solve the problem where we basically go offline when we get Farked or Reddited or Dugg.

TheMercenary 12-14-2007 05:40 AM

Ok, I just sent $100. I'm in. I think it would be helpful to make the jar amount larger so the thing does not fill up to quickly; as others have said, I might be more motivated to put some in if I see it is low or empty. Thanks for all you do UT.

Undertoad 12-14-2007 10:30 AM

And thanks to you and to all Mug hitters. I have not been thanking you all individually, partly because of the volume this Xmas season, and partly because, well you know, I suck. But I am thankful and all should be thankful for everyone's support in keeping the community thriving.

As you know, you guys rock.

xoxoxoBruce 01-01-2008 02:53 PM

Ahem. Bump. Wink. Nudge.

Aliantha 01-01-2008 05:22 PM

I'd really like to know if it's the same people who donate each month, or if there are different people. I don't need to know names, but I just wondered if there's a trend developing or if there's different people helping out.