The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Eat your honey (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29246)

nowhereman 07-22-2013 03:40 PM

Eat your honey

Ok, minds out of the gutter ... Pulled supers from my largest hive on Saturday and extracted about 45 pounds of nice, light honey. I'll post a picture once I finish designing and printing the labels. MMmmmm - peanut butter and honey sandwiches...:drool:

DanaC 07-22-2013 03:46 PM

Oh how lovely!

Griff 07-22-2013 06:35 PM

Yum!

ZenGum 07-22-2013 06:51 PM

About to post ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowhereman (Post 871242)
Ok, minds out of the gutter ...

Hmmm. I see I am becoming predictable. I'll need to work on my beehivior.

orthodoc 07-22-2013 09:54 PM

Sounds wonderful!

limegreenc 07-28-2013 02:57 PM

Can you explain what the medicinal reasons are behind bee pollen? I see it at the health food store; it's so expensive. Is it for libido...energy...or what? Just curious

Clodfobble 07-28-2013 06:08 PM

Like most supplements, it's advertised for a number of things. The main thing it seems to have going for it is that it usually has a good amount of bacteria in it, some species of which may be probiotic, though sometimes others may be detrimental. The problem is that the actual composition varies dramatically not just from hive to hive, where obviously the bees will be collecting from different local plants, but even from bee to bee within the hive. You cannot possibly know or standardize what you're getting when you take it.

That being said, the loose pollen in honey (not the coagulated granules the bees make to feed their young) is quite important, as a guarantee of where your honey came from:

Quote:

The food safety divisions of the World Health Organization, the European Commission and dozens of others also have ruled that without pollen there is no way to determine whether the honey came from legitimate and safe sources.

In the U.S., the Food and Drug Administration says that any product that’s been ultra-filtered and no longer contains pollen isn’t honey. However, the FDA isn’t checking honey sold here to see if it contains pollen.

“Elimination of all pollen can only be achieved by ultra-filtering and this filtration process does nothing but cost money and diminish the quality of the honey,” Jensen said. “In my judgment, it is pretty safe to assume that any ultra-filtered honey on store shelves is Chinese honey and it’s even safer to assume that it entered the country uninspected and in violation of federal law,” he added.
Quote:

Chinese honey has long had a poor reputation in the U.S., where – in 2001 – the Federal Trade Commission imposed stiff import tariffs or taxes to stop the Chinese from flooding the marketplace with dirt-cheap, heavily subsidized honey, which was forcing American beekeepers out of business. To avoid the dumping tariffs, the Chinese quickly began transshipping honey to several other countries, then laundering it by switching the color of the shipping drums, the documents and labels to indicate a bogus but tariff-free country of origin for the honey.

In one instance 10 years ago, contaminated Chinese honey was shipped to Canada and then on to a warehouse in Houston where it was sold to jelly maker J.M. Smuckers and the national baker Sara Lee.

By the time the FDA said it realized the Chinese honey was tainted, Smuckers had sold 12,040 cases of individually packed honey to Ritz-Carlton Hotels and Sara Lee said it may have been used in a half-million loaves of bread that were on store shelves.

Griff 07-29-2013 12:54 PM

This is tangential but right in Clod's wheelhouse. I heard a really interesting story on Living on Earth on my way home from work today. It was about gut microbes influencing evolution.

http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.ht...30&segmentID=1

nowhereman 08-01-2013 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got it bottled. Beautiful color! 42 lbs.

BigV 08-01-2013 09:44 AM

lovely!

That looks like a lot of delicious mead, right there. mmmmmmmmm, mead. :drunk:

glatt 08-01-2013 09:50 AM

Excellent! I am envious. What are you going to do with all that honey? Christmas presents?

BigV 08-01-2013 10:06 AM

Mead, man! But it's not gonna be ready for Christmas though.

nowhereman 08-02-2013 08:10 AM

I'll sell some, but mostly give it away to my friends and neighbors who love my bees. Probably make a few honey cakes.:)

Griff 08-02-2013 12:45 PM

How long have you been bee keeping? I'm tempted to send the goats packing and try something new.

BigV 08-02-2013 10:24 PM

PICK ME!!!!