The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Creative Expression (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Useless Musical Complexity (Drums) (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13097)

Flint 01-16-2007 08:15 PM

Useless Musical Complexity (Drums)

I like to play 3s with my feet (right-left-left, right-left-left) and solo on top, trying to find things that are difficult, IE that try to pull my feet off of the 3s, and then keep trying to do that thing while maintaining the 3s, until I can do it, and then until I can do it fluently and actually solo against the 3s. (A clumsy man's Bozzio, if you will.)

Next, last night I was thinking of a hand pattern, while trying to get to sleep, that consists of 16ths, accenting the 1, the 4, and the 7. Like 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 & 6 & 7 & 8 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & etc. - This could be played against 4/4 and sound "odd" even though it's an 8-note pattern.

Well, I'm pretty fluent in playing 4/4 against the foot-3s, so I decide to try this pattern, but I unwittingly made one alteration, I started playing the accented 1, 4, and 7, and then back to the 1 (skipping the 8 and making a 7-note pattern). I played this against the 3s, without thinking about what I was doing, until I got it down. Then, I realized I was playing 7s agains 6s, a pattern that will only overlap on itself every 42nd note.

cowhead 01-16-2007 08:39 PM

you sure you're not playing prog-rock?

Flint 01-16-2007 09:07 PM

I wish. Bill Bruford, in his sleep, could do everything I just described.

Clodfobble 01-16-2007 09:46 PM

In high school orchestra I once had to play a piece written in 7/5 (because it was written by the orchestra director's very unsuccessful composer friend.) It sounded so very awful.

lumberjim 01-16-2007 11:18 PM

can you ...you tube?

kerosene 01-19-2007 12:03 AM

Stop it, Flint. You are turning me on.

cowhead 01-19-2007 10:24 AM

you know.. what might be interesting.. if musically inclined persons in the cellar were to post bits of songs that they had recorded and others added to it.. sort of a musial potluck... then again musicans egos being what they are.. that might get ugly

lumberjim 01-19-2007 01:27 PM

no, i think that's a great idea.

starts with drums, then bassline, rythm guitar, keys, lyrics, backup vocals. then the miscelaneous stuff like tambourines, flutes, panpipes......

a good idea that we've tickled before, but with the proliferation of youtube, and easier access to video capturing, it might be doable.

start a thread, cowhead.....see if it flies. i'll play....or sing or both as needed

cowhead 01-20-2007 11:04 AM

it was just an Idea, I have no thime to do anything right now.. between getting this house cleaned up/re-modeled/made liveable and tending to the girlfriend fresh out of surgery and looking for a new job.. not to mention all of my gear except an acoustic guitar and a little combo amp.. is sitting back in Kansas.. but I can grapple with it here in a week or so (if all goes well). throw your hat into the ring!

but it would be fun.

xoxoxoBruce 01-23-2007 01:55 PM

Check out the drummer.;)

Gr8DaneDood 02-07-2007 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 307834)
I wish. Bill Bruford, in his sleep, could do everything I just described.

Bruford is awesome.

I used to be able to play the ostinato bass from Emerson Lake and Palmer's "Tarkus" on the left hand and "Take A Pebble" on the right hand, and vise-versa. Useless ability, but fun.

Cloud 02-07-2007 08:17 PM

can you play zils and dance at the same time?

xoxoxoBruce 02-08-2007 09:19 PM

Welcome to the Cellar, Gr8DaneDood. :D
Wander on over to Quality Images and post a picture of the puppy.