The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Either the Revolution Just Started ... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14581)

wolf 06-16-2007 08:12 PM

Either the Revolution Just Started ...

or someone is having a huge fireworks display near me.

monster 06-16-2007 08:40 PM

It's the revolution. Stock up on gas, water and cellphone minutes.

wolf 06-16-2007 09:20 PM

You do it your way, and I'll do it mine.

I spent the day at a gun show. I knew that it was coming, see ...

monster 06-16-2007 10:12 PM

My way: stock up on beer. and duct tape.

Yepa 06-17-2007 04:55 AM

As long as you have your duct tape and your swiss army knife you'll be fine. Rememeber: What Would MacGyver Do?

monster 06-17-2007 08:24 AM

Was it a special date yesterday? After I turned the computer off, we heard fireworks too. It was the queen's birthday, I think, but that's not usually a call for domestic fireworks even in the UK.

Sundae 06-17-2007 12:58 PM

I can't work out the time difference (translation - I am too lazy) but I have a Sikh temple two streets away and there were fireworks here last night too. I can only assume it was the same celebration - the martyrdom of Guru Arjan. The link explains the background, not the celebration, but it seems too much of a coincidence not to be connected. The local Sikh temple is pretty fond of fireworks to be honest, although that might be a Leicester thing.

I have a multi-faith year planner on my door for this very reason :)

wolf 06-17-2007 01:40 PM

I assure you that I don't have a Sikh temple in the neighborhood.

It did occur to me that the country club down the street (not the Cricket Club, but the other one, that's closer to me, and much tonier) had been announcing a special event for returned Iraq War vets and their families. The direction and distance seemed about right.

Of course, fireworks and recently returned war vets is not usually a good mix. Used to put my Vietnam Vet friend under the car at unexpected times.

monster 06-17-2007 02:15 PM

There are plenty of Muslims here, but not so many (if any) Sikhs. The fireworks did sound like they might be coming from the large extended-family dwelling opposite our neighborhood, which is occupied by a Muslim family.

Sundae 06-17-2007 02:18 PM

Because of my location (and the calendar) I now assume any fireworks are a religious celebration!

But to be fair, even with a low Sikh population, they have to celebrate somewhere. After all, people will travel to Forks :)

I bow to Wolf's knowledge of her own community's ethnic make-up though.

monster 06-17-2007 04:02 PM

Hmm. Ours was either a wedding or graduation or similar -just had more firecrackers sounding like they were coming from the big house/complex/whatever/nobody-knows-for-sure, then a huge convoy of cars including white limos left with their horns blaring.