The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I am Liberally Disappointed (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29344)

Pete Zicato 08-29-2013 02:19 PM

I am Liberally Disappointed

Well I couldn't resist the clone thread.

But I really have been disappointed in the Obama administration. Maybe you could point to Republican obstruction in Congress but given all his rhetoric, I expected more.

Griff 08-29-2013 07:52 PM

The GOP Congress isn't helpful but he's blowing the stuff he can do on his own as well... I am disappointed that I decided a third party vote was a waste. Barring a serious change agent like Kucinich or someone, I'll either quit voting or go third party. In my soul, I'm an anarchist so maybe I just need to stop supporting any of these sociopaths.

Flint 08-30-2013 12:00 AM

Well, he is very charming and charismatic.

I'm trying to think of an example where that ever turns out to be a good thing...

Spexxvet 08-30-2013 07:46 AM

It's interesting that Democrats, when elected, tend to be more centrist than they campaigned, and repubicans tend to be more conservative than they campaigned.

Flint 08-30-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 874638)
It's interesting that Democrats, when elected, tend to be more centrist than they campaigned, and repubicans tend to be more conservative than they campaigned.

That seems like an accurate observation to me. One might theorize that there is an 'invisible force' behind the scenes that pushes every political machine to the right. If I had to guess what that force is, I'd say the easiset explanation is 'big money' or whatever you want to call the pro-business, anti-individual interests, dystopian nightmare monsters that pull the puppet strings of our system. No matter who we elect, they are pushed more to the right of what we asked for. In this theory, Republicans are openly evil, but Democrats are also evil. Slightly less.

Pete Zicato 08-30-2013 10:07 AM

@Flint - Sounds like we're in similar viewpoints politics-wise.

Flint 08-30-2013 10:10 AM

So when are we all going to revolt and vote third party, en masse?

Being pressured, every four years, to pick the 'lesser of two evils' is not working.

Undertoad 08-30-2013 12:10 PM

Yeah, remember in 2002-2007 when the Rs had the Presidency, control of Congress, and 5/9ths of the Supreme Court? They outlawed abortion, cut Federal spending, set tough immigration laws, abolished the Department of Energy, returned all control of education to the states, and... huh.

infinite monkey 08-30-2013 12:11 PM

imma wait and see what everyone else is doing

/little dog in tall grass

Griff 08-30-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 874627)
Well, he is very charming and charismatic.

I'm trying to think of an example where that ever turns out to be a good thing...

Yeah, still looking for an example.

xoxoxoBruce 08-30-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 874660)
So when are we all going to revolt and vote third party, en masse?

I'm ahead of the curve, I've been revolting for years.;)

Griff 08-30-2013 05:21 PM

infinite monkey 08-30-2013 06:46 PM

Oh crap that made me laugh! My friends and i saw History of the World Part 1 when it came out. still makes me chuckle. i mean, chvckle.

Urbane Guerrilla 09-02-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 874655)
If I had to guess what that force is, I'd say the easiset explanation is 'big money' or whatever you want to call the pro-business, anti-individual interests, dystopian nightmare . . .

If you think probusiness is anti-individual, you know a lot less than you think you do about either individuals or business.

Seriously, how the hell do you --? Oh never mind. I'd have expected better from you. Only a giant statist is going to call a rightward push to Republicans something that makes them "openly evil." Individualist philosophy, and long knives out against the statists, is what will rescue us from a horror too many Cellarites imagine to be a heaven.

You don't get heaven without rejecting statist thinking in yourself and all other persons. All of them.

I'd put it to you that you don't know dystopia, either: it's statist collectivism, and is inherently a dystopia.

Pete Zicato 09-04-2013 07:29 AM

Sure G. That's why you see all these corporations lobbying for worker rights. It explains everything.