The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Relationships (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Cat TV (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=17015)

Cloud 04-12-2008 01:56 PM

Cat TV

a cat lady thread for Sundae Girl and me.

Quote:

I don't care!
I want cat shows too.
I'm so sad I'd watch the 24 Hour Cat Television Show if it existed.

What am I saying?
No, of course I wouldn't!
All the cats you see on TV are spoiled and pampered by people who think their behaviour is normal.

Don't get me wrong - I adore my cats and I know some people IRL think I spoil them. But the truth is I know they are cats - I treat them like cats. Affectionate cats, yes. But that's no spoiled in the way you can spoil children. If you hand feed a cat it will expect hand feeding for life. If you get up for a cat at 03.00 every morning it will think this is a normal occurrence.

However if you try to get a madly potent catnip toy, or give them a warming pad because they are heat-mad, they don't go boasting to other cats in the neighbourhood and they don't come home asking for what all the other cats have that they don't.

Therefore I don't spoil my cats.

Also, although they are pedigree (argh) they are beautiful to me because they are dynamic, healthy and energetic. Apologies to anyone with Persians, but really. A cat that has trouble eating because of its nose and has to be cleaned every time it uses a litter tray? That's a little freaky in my book.

Well, it is a post-whore thread and I've wanted to get that off my chest for a while.

Sundae 04-12-2008 02:03 PM

Miaouw!
Now I have to go home and film my cats some more. How awful ;)

Cloud 04-12-2008 02:08 PM

poor thing.

I completely agree that cats are not children. That way lies danger! Fortunately, I do have actual human children which stem the slide into catladyverse.

I ALSO completely agree about Persians--ugly things, imo, and cats should be beautiful.

Sundae 04-12-2008 02:20 PM

I am a mad old catlady and proud.
And appreciate a thread to be mad old catlady in.

BTW when I say Miaouw! I usually mean someone is being catty.
In this case it was a cat-agreement to the fact you thought we needed a thread.

We need Jinx here too. She completely changed my mind re Siamese - I thought (:blush:) they were skinny overbred horrors. Then I saw her's.

Cloud 04-12-2008 02:34 PM

oh, but I loves me some Siamese. Even the skinny overbred type. :) And Balinese, Tonkinese, Birman . . . but not Himalayan, 'cause they're Persians in disguise.

Cloud 04-12-2008 02:37 PM

and oh, btw, have you seen the American Curls? Sooooooo cute! and supposedly free of the defects that Scottish folds have.

http://www.procurlharem.com/

http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/articles/acurl.html

xoxoxoBruce 04-12-2008 03:46 PM

I'm at a loss as to why you chose relationships, for cat tv.

Cloud 04-12-2008 03:48 PM

not really about tv--about cats. don't pet topics go in Relationships? pets are important relationships, to me. it's where some other pet threads are.

TheMercenary 04-12-2008 04:30 PM

NO CAT TV.

Sundae 04-12-2008 04:38 PM

SO CAT TV

All my future cat vids will go here
And I want more people to join me

jinx 04-12-2008 05:49 PM

I will contribute here, because cats (and Cloud and SG) are the shizz. I'm partial to the siamese and orientals, but I like any cats that look cool and have personality. Persians are gross and look absolutely miserable. I am in love with this cat right now, hoping to get one like it (and name her Mark).

My big fancy camera doesn't do movies, so I'll have to find and charge one of the little ones that does...

TheMercenary 04-12-2008 05:52 PM

http://www.pzg.biz/shepherds_cat_psalms.jpg

Sundae 04-12-2008 06:14 PM

This is obviously a Singa (tho paler than mine and appears to have eyeliner on!)

Mute the sound if you're not into child-like Japanese singing. For me it adds to the experience.

Please note (snobbishly) I am only adding a random vid because there is such little Singa information out there.

xoxoxoBruce 04-13-2008 01:31 AM

cats

Razzmatazz13 04-13-2008 10:28 AM

Wow, awesome video!

Cloud 04-13-2008 10:40 AM

oh, that is so cute! and, hey -- doesn't that guy remind you just a little bit of George Clooney?

Sundae 04-14-2008 05:34 AM

That's wonderful, thanks Bruce

DucksNuts 04-14-2008 06:33 AM

Siamese are fantastic personalities.

I miss my 'zac all the time.

The boys I shared a house will named him "KumSac" (Cum Sack), because he had huge knackers before desexing.

I had a lady knock on my door complaining that her Son arrived home in tears because my cat chased him home (he was riding his bike).

I want a Bengal and have my name on the waiting list.

Sundae 04-14-2008 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksNuts (Post 445742)
I had a lady knock on my door complaining that her Son arrived home in tears because my cat chased him home (he was riding his bike).

That made me laugh out loud (which is mean as I'd be horrified if it was a dog story).

Bengals are beuatiful and I'm surprised how cheap they are.
When you get yours please can we hundreds of pictures and clips!

Cloud 04-14-2008 09:09 AM

I want to recommend those automatic drinking fountains (the kind with the pump) for all cat owners. Cats need water to avoid urinary problems, but they don't ordinarily drink much. But the fountain--the cats really drink from it--my two cats drink about a cup a day, which is really impressive for cats.

Sundae 04-14-2008 09:23 AM

My filter ran out and I stopped using it :(
But they seem just as happy drinking from a pint glass in my bedroom. I started using it when HM complained Dylan was drinking from the glass of water he keeps beside his bed.

I think it's because they don't have to bend down - the top of the water is there all shiny and inviting.

Cloud 04-14-2008 10:03 AM

or because it's yours.

DucksNuts 04-14-2008 10:40 PM

No probs Sundae.

I just cant decide what colour one I want.

DucksNuts 04-16-2008 10:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK....

Theres are the 2 boys I can chose from.....suggestions?

Cloud 04-17-2008 12:02 AM

hard to tell from a pic-do you get to meet them to choose?

Iggy 04-17-2008 12:24 AM

I loooove the second kitty. Such unique coloring!

Sundae 04-17-2008 05:11 AM

I can't answer
they take my breath away

WOW
Either one
Damnit, get both

They are both SO beautiful in different ways
I'd go for the darker one though
because I bet he has the most rubbable belly

Cloud 04-17-2008 08:48 AM

SG, what do you mean "all the cats on tv are pampered and spoiled"? What cats on tv?

Sundae 04-17-2008 09:19 AM

The few clips you see of cats (incidental) tend to be about owners who are slightly batty. Like where they have to go and catch 25 of them living in a bungalow with a blind old woman, or when someone leaves £2million to their cat.

They never seem to feature as part of regular drama - probably because they won't behave for the camera - and there are no catumentaries - possibly for the same reason. Occasionally a daytime show will have a feature where someone has trained their cat to do something odd. But that's about it - and it falls under strange and unusual behaviour, not proper cat tv.

So I agree with you, essentially!

Shawnee123 04-17-2008 09:49 AM

Beautiful cats.

Re: the siamese. Me and my ex (ex'es, ex's?) was supposedly part Siamese. He was a beautiful big fella. I saw a pic of a Tonkinese once and I wonder if that wasn't more his breed. He was totally awesome. Toonces Riley. I miss him still. Must. Find. Picture.

Cloud 04-17-2008 10:57 AM

so why do you think they don't televise cat shows as well as dog shows? Isn't there an obvious viewer market they are missing?

Cloud 04-19-2008 11:07 AM

I'm writing Animal Planet, damnit! People don't get to see purebred cats that often, really--you don't take them for walks, and you keep them inside. What a boon for cat fanciers televised cat shows would be!

I'm not the only person who thinks so: http://wgnradio.com/index.php?option...784&Itemid=394

xoxoxoBruce 04-19-2008 05:02 PM

Sundae 04-19-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 446458)
so why do you think they don't televise cat shows as well as dog shows? Isn't there an obvious viewer market they are missing?

Honestly I think it's for the reasons I mentioned before - cats aren't as televisual. After all at least at Crufts (big UK dog show) the dogs are paraded round the ring, and you have agility classes and working dog demonstrations etc. With cats they come out of their box, are felt up by the judges and go back.

But I agree about trying to fly the pedigree flag. That's my excuse for showing as many people as possible my cat pics & videos anyway ;) And I'm def bringing Dylan back into work at some point - he only met Mark (who was bemused).

He is already a celebrity in the neighbourhood, from when I used to walk him before they were allowed out alone, from the fact he jumps on neighbours shoulders when HM is tlking to them, from when he escaped and was taken to the rescue centre - who called him Posh, drooled over him and were so sorry to see him leave. Also the guys who do the metal work in the yard here recognise at least one of them, and it's probably Dylan. Apparently he is quite skittish when out alone, but they describe him as the funny looking Siamesey cat. I am educating them.

Shawnee do try & find a pic. My parents had a cross breed. Yeah right. A purebred Siamese was got at by a dirty East London black & white tom ;) Spock was big, with a classical nose, black and white, noisy and affectionate. He is missed.

Cloud 04-19-2008 05:56 PM

LOL @ Bruce. now that's a cat show! :D

xoxoxoBruce 04-20-2008 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Trilby 04-20-2008 06:54 PM

I love that, bruce! where did you find that?

xoxoxoBruce 04-20-2008 08:39 PM

On one of the sites that just have pictures, with no explanation or source.

DucksNuts 04-21-2008 01:00 AM

I am adopting the first one..."Danika".

Just have to organise to pick him up...from Sydney or get him freighted to Albury or Melbourne.

kerosene 04-21-2008 02:00 PM

Those bengals are gorgeous, Ducks! We need pictures when you get Danika, of course.

I have a simple fluffy gray tabby named "Cleo." And she is queen around here. I have had her for 8 years, now.

DucksNuts 04-22-2008 06:30 PM

We are off road tripping to Sydney on Friday....the long route of course.

Will take lots of pics of the trip and 'nik

xoxoxoBruce 04-23-2008 07:39 AM

Cat TV.

Sundae 04-24-2008 05:33 AM

Saucy!

xoxoxoBruce 04-24-2008 05:53 PM

Cat tv

Sundae 04-25-2008 03:33 AM

I want the one at the front who nearly falls off the sofa please!

Bruce you are doing sterling work in the Cat TV cause, thank you
I'm almost convinced you will accept my cats when I come to live with you...

xoxoxoBruce 04-25-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

And they all want my number, want me to take theirs, aren't bothered that I have a boyfriend (which is all I can say as I don't have a ring on my left hand).
:eyebrow:

Sundae 04-25-2008 09:08 AM

And it's you I think of to add verisimilitude to my voice!

xoxoxoBruce 04-25-2008 10:08 PM

With half of London drooling on your shadow, you'll probably at least be engaged, by the time you get over here.

monster 05-02-2008 09:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Mine!

Cloud 05-02-2008 09:12 PM

oh! oh! look at 'em, oh they're so cuuutte! Mama sure looks proud. And you got one (at least) with little white feetsies. And a blackie!

and, did I mention, oh!?

monster 05-02-2008 09:20 PM

We're getting the black one and the middle of the three siamese. In 5 weeks
5 long weeks

Cloud 05-02-2008 09:22 PM

it's gonna be darker than the mama, if it has that much color this early

monster 05-02-2008 09:28 PM

cool. Don't mind/care really. pussy is pussy after all ;)

We only finally decided on two JUST NOW! :D

Cloud 05-02-2008 09:30 PM

lucky! (<-envy)

monster 05-02-2008 09:34 PM

It's been 7.5 years since we left our cats in the UK with MIL. We didn't get more because we wanted to explore the States and din't want to leave them for so long. But kids need pets and we agreed to swap catminding with the owners of the momcat. Happy

Cloud 05-02-2008 09:49 PM

seven years without a cat. I'd be insane.

-er.

Sundae 05-03-2008 03:55 AM

Oh! Oh! Oh!
I love kitten season...
Then next year we have young playful cat season, which I love too.

Dyl has taken to following me into work.
Quite cute and all that.
But this morning I went to the shops after being woken up by postie (quite right too, he had my corset!)
As I came round the corner I saw C, coming out of work. She said she'd just been herding my cat out of the building. Oops!

She and her (artist) boyfriend were there to pick up the van and some things from the yard, and Dylan followed them and and went in search of me - not realising I was still at home.

She didn't mind - she's a cat lover.

But I might have to put a warning picture up so people double check before they leave at weekends, especially if they've been working in the yard.