The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   The Internet (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Interesting graphs and charts department (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24480)

Griff 10-23-2011 08:32 AM

:)

classicman 10-23-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 766099)
Classic really should check with Merc ...

Please STOP posting shit like that. Its really old, tired and inaccurate.

I stand on my own with my own opinions, beliefs and thoughts.
Thanks, in advance.

monster 10-23-2011 05:50 PM

and funny as all fuck when it gets a reaction :lol:

Lamplighter 10-23-2011 06:25 PM

OK, point taken

classicman 10-23-2011 06:37 PM

mine or the "bitch's"? :neutral:

If mine, thanks.

classicman 10-25-2011 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Occupy Philadelphia
The government is lying about how we calculate unemployment. How can you tell people to get a job when unemployment, before the rules were changed, is around 25%

The seasonally-adjusted SGS Alternate Unemployment Rate reflects current unemployment reporting methodology adjusted for SGS-estimated long-term discouraged workers, who were defined out of official existence in 1994.
Link

Spexxvet 10-26-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 766730)
The seasonally-adjusted SGS Alternate Unemployment Rate reflects current unemployment reporting methodology adjusted for SGS-estimated long-term discouraged workers, who were defined out of official existence in 1994.
Link

It's lovely how the line moves lower during Clinton's higher-tax period, then rises during Bush's tax cuts. "Lower taxes to reduce unemployment" is bullshit.

classicman 10-26-2011 10:54 AM

It appears as though it was decreasing from 2003 to 2008 as well, but you missed the point of the graph.
They were showing the difference in calculations of the actual number of unemployed. According to this data, its over 20%, not 9%

Lamplighter 10-26-2011 11:40 AM

We need BigV to plot the first derivative of those data.

I predict two spikes, GWB takes office and GWB leaves office

classicman 10-26-2011 11:45 AM

Lamp, try viewing this link ... I found it pretty interesting.
I tried to save it to post, but couldn't.

Lamplighter 10-26-2011 12:02 PM

I think your link shows a 5% average over a much longer time period,
which was one goal/assumption of the Fed,
and is reflected in the graph above, until 2001 ;)

The higher rates in earlier years also coincide with higher oil prices (crisis) of the 70's

It's always fun and games with stats...

Spexxvet 10-26-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 766835)
It appears as though it was decreasing from 2003 to 2008 as well, but you missed the point of the graph.
They were showing the difference in calculations of the actual number of unemployed. According to this data, its over 20%, not 9%

I didn't miss it. I transcended it. I looked beyond and gleaned additional wisdom. I stepped past the mundane, dare I say the pedestrian, information that was blatant and inferred more knowledge than you presented with your superficial graph. I AM THE 99%!

classicman 10-26-2011 01:56 PM

^^ Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ^^

Very good spexxie. That was really funny.
----------
Did you look at the link? It was interesting to see the trends over the longer time-frame, well right up until ...

Spexxvet 10-26-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 766875)
^^ Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ^^

Very good spexxie. That was really funny.

I'll be here all week. Try the mutton.

Spexxvet 10-26-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 766875)
Did you look at the link? It was interesting to see the trends over the longer time-frame, well right up until ...

It's interesting that LBJ is the only president who didn't have a major spike (Carter had a small upturn at the end). Many people would think that LBJ would have had a huge increase in unemployment - he implemented The Great Society. People would recieve compensation even when they weren't working. Haven't conservatives asserted that this would cause lazy minorities to quit their jobs and go on the dole? It doesn't seem to have happened that way.

classicman 11-04-2011 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From 37 banks to 4 in 13 years. Hmmm

One might think they need to be broken up.

ZenGum 11-04-2011 08:08 PM

" ... and the control of wealth will fall into fewer and fewer hands ... eventually into a form in which it can be seized by the proletariat...."

Marx was at least half right. I'm quite interested to see what will happen over the next few decades.

Lamplighter 11-04-2011 08:41 PM

Sadly, I believe this is exactly what will be happening in every industry.
Corporations will buy/merge/consume each other until they dominate the "market share"

I think I allude to this somewhere in my signature below.

classicman 11-04-2011 08:53 PM

Isn't this what happens, almost by design, in an unchecked capitalistic/cannibalistic society?

Lamplighter 11-04-2011 09:37 PM

Well, philosophically I believe things are different with corporations than partnerships and companies.
With the corps, the CEO, Bd of Dir, etc are just "employee" bodies passing through.

With other forms of business the owners are integral to the life of the company.
Family businesses or partnerships get dispersed or sold off, and the business dissolves,
OR... is bought up by a corporation !

Griff 11-05-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 770286)
Isn't this what happens, almost by design, in an unchecked capitalistic/cannibalistic society?

When they own the government and are able to stifle competition that will happen. I think somebody needs to run on the old TR "trust buster" platform but now that media is suffering from the same malady, I have little hope for it. We may well end up with a completely stagnant society.

Undertoad 11-05-2011 10:41 AM

Where's PNC? Where's TD Bank?

Lamplighter 11-05-2011 11:21 AM

PNC (Pittsburgh National ?) may be considered too small
TD Bank is Canadian (It is 2nd largest in Canada)

ZenGum 11-05-2011 06:57 PM

Is this a natural trend?

I think yes. Wealth accumulates. If nothing is done about it, this will keep going, until it cannot go any further.

Do we have to sit back and let it happen?

No.
The modern economy is something we have created, a lot by individual and corporate activities, and also a lot by governments creating sets of rules that make a stable society and complex finance possible. We can adjust the rules. We should just remember that we are tinkering with a complex, chaotic system and unintended consequences are pretty much certain, as is the further exploitation of whatever changes we make.

Lamplighter 11-05-2011 07:46 PM

Here is an early symptom of retail-market saturation.
There's only so much $ to spend on X-mas.
So retailers' tactics are to get it first, before it's spent elsewhere.

USA Today
Nov 5, 2011

Why wait until Black Friday? Retailers tout big deals early
Quote:

Black Friday is more popular than ever with holiday shoppers,
but that isn't stopping retailers from trying to lure bargain hunters
into the stores ahead of Thanksgiving.

Spexxvet 11-07-2011 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another reason to legalize pot

TheMercenary 11-12-2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 770266)
" ... and the control of wealth will fall into fewer and fewer hands ... eventually into a form in which it can be seized by the proletariat...."

Marx was at least half right. I'm quite interested to see what will happen over the next few decades.

:thumb: The gooberment will eventually control all of them.

Lamplighter 11-12-2011 09:04 AM

It's the corporations that will own everything.

Yesterday, there was an hour-long TY program about the Pepsico Corp.
The CEO, Indra Nooyi, make a remark something like:

If you put it in your stomach, I want Pepsico to sell it to you.

TheMercenary 11-15-2011 07:59 PM

Corps may own it. The current Gobberment aims to control it. Oh, and make themselves rich along the way. There's your 1%.

ZenGum 11-16-2011 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 770962)
another reason to legalize pot

That graph is interesting but it needs a third axis.

It is right to consider the risk of dependency and the risk of overdose, but there is also the risk of being mentally screwed up by it without either dependency or overdose.

According to this graph, LSD is the safest drug there is, much safer than caffeine. :headshake

Undertoad 11-16-2011 09:52 AM

Yeah, or just a chance-to-fuck-up-your-life axis; with NO2 and caffeine at the bottom, weed and MDMA in the low middle, nicotine in the middle, coke and alcohol in the high middle, and meth and the opiates at the top.

(i guess?)

infinite monkey 11-16-2011 09:59 AM

Ephedra, is that the weight loss stuff?

I'm so gettin' on that.

Oglability trumps health, any day.

Undertoad 11-16-2011 10:08 AM

http://cellar.org/2011/whydrink.jpg

Spexxvet 11-16-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 773305)
Ephedra, is that the weight loss stuff?

I'm so gettin' on that.

Oglability trumps health, any day.

I think it's the over the counter cold remedy. Maybe Pseudophed? Used to make Meth.

infinite monkey 11-16-2011 10:18 AM

Oh. Don't want meth. I'd be skinny but look like death heated up. Pocky. No thanks.

Spexxvet 11-16-2011 10:19 AM

Don't forget the meth teeth. :greenface

BigV 11-16-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 773312)
Don't forget the meth teeth. :greenface

She's got lots of mystique already. Why are you lithping?

Lamplighter 11-22-2011 12:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Seven degrees to Kevin Bacon is a being lazy.
Facebook says it's less than 5 hops for the whole world.

Facebook
Quote:

The idea of ‘six degrees of separation’ -- that any two people are
on average separated by no more than six intermediate connections
-- was first proposed in 1929 in a short story by Hungarian author Frigyes Karinthy,
and made popular by the John Guare play and movie, Six Degrees of Separation.

"Using state-of-the-art algorithms developed at the
Laboratory for Web Algorithmics of the Università degli Studi di Milano,
we were able to approximate the number of hops between all pairs of individuals on Facebook.
We found that six degrees actually overstates the number of links between typical pairs of users:
While 99.6% of all pairs of users are connected by paths with 5 degrees (6 hops),
92% are connected by only four degrees (5 hops).
Of course, the 5,316 members of THE CELLAR, made it much shorter. :grouphug:

glatt 11-22-2011 07:35 AM

If facebook used their own data, then it makes you wonder what would happen if you got rid of all those people with thousands of "friends" on facebook. Those FB sluts are doing all the connecting. The rest of us with 100 or so friends are probably 20 degrees of separation from the rest of the world instead of only 5 degrees away.

So the world is getting closer primarily due to farmville and mafia wars?

Clodfobble 11-22-2011 07:42 AM

And let's not forget that the original assertion was anyone in the world, not just anyone with a computer fast enough to run social media. You're supposed to be connected to that guy in the jungle village too. Well, slang's got a lot of the Philippines covered for us, anyway.

Lamplighter 11-22-2011 07:45 AM

Don't forget Arab Spring... four more hops to Saif al-Islam Gaddafi.

ZenGum 11-25-2011 06:49 PM

I find it very interesting how those graphs are virtually flat to three hops and then have a huge spike at four hops. I would have expected a more parabolic curve.

I guess it decreases after that because most pairs have already been matched.

classicman 12-02-2011 09:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
... dunno how accurate this is, but damn!

ZenGum 12-02-2011 10:00 PM

I dispute that Vet Affairs is either discretionary or really military. It is the post-service OBLIGATIONS required by the contract with military personnel.

And given the experiences of Cellar veterans, no-one could say it is over funded.

Now, about the other military expenses....

Say, did you guys know that you're about to station 2,500 marines in Darwin, Australia. Damned if I know why.

classicman 12-02-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 777335)
Say, did you guys know that you're about to station 2,500 marines in Darwin, Australia. Damned if I know why.

Yep and China is pissed about it too.

ZenGum 12-02-2011 10:59 PM

Well they had a little spit, but nothing more than would be expected.

I suspect it will be used to get your fellas trained in tropical conditions. Its also a general expression of being allies.

I'm sure the entertainment industry will be happy. We might need to bring back the Top End Stubbie - a single serve bottle of beer that holds 2.2 litres.

Lamplighter 12-02-2011 11:40 PM

OMG 2.2 L is 0.6 US gal. :drunk:

zippyt 12-03-2011 12:01 AM

Yep and China is pissed about it too.

Thats Why

xoxoxoBruce 12-03-2011 01:02 AM

The 'War on Terror' is ongoing in Seychelles and the Philippines, that I know of, and probably a dozen I don't.

Griff 12-03-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 777348)
OMG 2.2 L is 0.6 US gal. :drunk:

http://www.tallglass.com/projects/beersize/

This is a good chart for comparing your beer sizes, but the 2.2 L doesn't get a mention. Maybe Zen should contact them.

Spexxvet 12-03-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 777335)

To be poised and ready when France surrenders Viet Nam. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 777345)
Its also a general expression of being allies.

So why doesn't Australia have a base in the US?

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 777352)
The 'War on Terror' is ongoing in Seychelles and the Philippines, that I know of, and probably a dozen I don't.

And Indonesia is the largest Muslim nation in the world.

ZenGum 12-03-2011 05:10 PM

Alas, the "top end stubby" was phased out a few years ago. It was a bit hard to drink it before it got warm.

I looked on youtube with no luck, but years ago I saw on TV a semi-pet Brahmin bull would walk into a bar (really), pick one of those bottles up with its mouth, tip it back, and sink the lot in about four seconds.

It's probably best not to think about what might happen next. Although, this might be why we need 2,500 marines. :)

xoxoxoBruce 12-04-2011 12:23 AM

Since the USMC learned their basic tactics from an Aussie back in The Great War, maybe they're there for a refresher.

ZenGum 12-04-2011 10:15 PM

Crocodile wrestling practise?

SamIam 12-05-2011 04:40 PM

A top secret mission involving kangaroos?

BigV 12-05-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 777495)
Alas, the "top end stubby" was phased out a few years ago. It was a bit hard to drink it before it got warm.

I looked on youtube with no luck, but years ago I saw on TV a semi-pet Brahmin bull would walk into a bar (really), pick one of those bottles up with its mouth, tip it back, and sink the lot in about four seconds.

It's probably best not to think about what might happen next. Although, this might be why we need 2,500 marines. :)

I don't know what commercial you saw but this might be the bull, and this might be the bottle.

Lamplighter 12-05-2011 10:28 PM

" ... the win left him $500 better off " [... after one helluva belch] :)

ZenGum 12-06-2011 01:11 AM

Hmmmm ... maybe my memory had one of those beers.
I definitely remember a TV news snippet with the bull in the front bar, and I'm sure he drank it in WELL under a minute. I'll go up to 15 seconds, max.

Seems we have a bunch of alcoholic cattle up north. Not one of them is on the (bullock) wagon.

ZenGum 12-06-2011 01:12 AM

But they do like their beers cold. Friesian, even.

Lamplighter 12-06-2011 08:46 AM

Griff just posted an interesting graph showing
daylight hours of light during the year vs latitude.

Does the equator area demonstrate the tilt of the earth towards the sun ?

Check it out...