The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Kinder Surprise Eggs (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=28004)

glatt 09-05-2012 07:07 PM

Kinder Surprise Eggs

4 Attachment(s)
I'd seen these in Europe and could never find them in the US, so I figure most of you haven't seen one.

I love these things.

First, you take the foil wrapping off and eat the chocolate shell.
Attachment 40479

Then you open the plastic shell inside to see what you got. It isn't always obvious. They really pack them in tight.

Attachment 40480

I spread the stuff out and still don't know what it's going to be. It comes with anti-choking warnings in about two dozen languages.

Attachment 40481

It also comes with instructions, which is helpful.

Attachment 40482

glatt 09-05-2012 07:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 40483

Attachment 40484

Look at the size of this toy compared to the plastic shell it came in. These Kinder engineers could work for NASA.

Attachment 40485

glatt 09-05-2012 07:13 PM

I should add that after I brought 9 of these back from England in April, I read a story about some guy who had done the same thing with just a couple and he got in serious legal trouble.

Apparently they are considered a choking hazard here because it's a non-food item hidden in food.

infinite monkey 09-05-2012 07:28 PM

Oh wow. So cool!

All we can get is a crappy cracker jack surprise: all they are now are a couple jokes or a tiny sticker.

I remember the first christmas crackers I saw; ex sis in law brought them home from NZ. My now grown nieces and nephews loved them. So did I!

Why can't we have cool stuff?

Aliantha 09-05-2012 07:32 PM

We've had those over here for years. Probably even since I was kid I think. The boys always liked them, and Max does too. I like them because the actual amount of junk food you're getting is small compared to the rest of it. Much better than getting your child a normal chocolate bar for a treat.

ZenGum 09-05-2012 08:07 PM

I remember those being trendy with teenagers ... back when I was a teenager.

You poor merkins don't have Kinder Surprises? :(

Quote:

Apparently they are considered a choking hazard here because it's a non-food item hidden in food.
See there's your problem. You've done so much to prevent natural selection from removing the idiots from your national gene pool ... you get overrun by idiots ... now look at your two main political parties.

Kinder Surprises in the 1990s could have prevented the second Bush presidency, you know. ;)

Razzmatazz13 09-05-2012 08:26 PM

We had Wonder Balls... but everyone decided to let their kids choke on stuff and then sue... that's why kinder surprises are a no-no

Apparently when they were first released with the toys, they were called "magic balls" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC-79Xxl0fo

monster 09-05-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 828660)
See there's your problem. You've done so much to prevent natural selection from removing the idiots from your national gene pool ... you get overrun by idiots ... now look at your two main political parties.

:luv:

infinite monkey 09-05-2012 08:46 PM

Hmmph.

My mom made snakes in the basement of our mobile home. So there.

ZenGum 09-05-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

... and furthermore ...

So, it's fine for major burger chains to sell non-food items disguised as food, with all the chronic health risks of this, but raise the risk of some doofus choking on a plastic toy container and OMG that must not be!

America. Where almost anyone can have a gun, but Kinder Surprises are too dangerous!

Lola Bunny 09-05-2012 10:53 PM

I don't know what they're called, but a friend of the family brought these chocolate eggs with a toy inside for my nephew from France when he came to visit one time. Sadly, they were confiscated at customs and thrown away. :(

BigV 09-05-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 828660)
I remember those being trendy with teenagers ... back when I was a teenager.

You poor merkins don't have Kinder Surprises? :(

Kinder Surprises in the 1990s could have prevented the second Bush presidency, you know. ;)

wrong. does not come in pretzel flavor.

ZenGum 09-06-2012 12:35 AM

:lol: touche'

xoxoxoBruce 09-06-2012 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 828648)
I should add that after I brought 9 of these back from England in April, I read a story about some guy who had done the same thing with just a couple and he got in serious legal trouble.

A couple years ago I ordered 4 dozen from a supplier in Canada and gave them out at work at Christmas. Most everyone seemed to enjoy them although there were a few cases of toy envy, as some of the toys are cooler than others. I'd guess there were at least 10 different toys in the mix, although I didn't see them all opened... the big shots took them back to their offices.
You're right about the ban for choking hazard, but nobody choked on mine... or called the feds. :haha:

Trilby 09-06-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 828673)
America. Where almost anyone can have a gun, but Kinder Surprises are too dangerous!

That's too funny, Zen. And so, so true.

First, let's kill all the lawyers...