The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I'm in a Internet bar.... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6369)

No_TimE 07-19-2004 06:46 PM

I'm in a Internet bar....

playing CS... :D

marichiko 07-19-2004 07:23 PM

So how do most Chinese get on the Internet? At home? At Internet bars? Do many Chinese use the Internet? Just curious. :)

No_TimE 07-19-2004 11:28 PM

Families transact broad band like me often get on Internet at home.My computer is not good ,so i also go to the internet bar to play games^^ .About 100 million people often use the Internet.The net bar is often filled with people except the washroom.

alamuhan 07-19-2004 11:47 PM

i love CS :D

btw: is there anyone has great interest in E-Sports ?
pay much attention on ESWC , CPL ,and WCG and so on ?

No_TimE 07-20-2004 04:48 AM

i really intersted in the compitition.But i'm a student(you know Chinese students are very busy),so i have No_TimE to care about WCG ESWC,CPL.......but i will watch the record(CS)

Kitsune 07-20-2004 09:41 AM

I'm actually rather sad that internet cafes never took off here in the US. It would be nice to have a comfortable environment to have coffee in and socilize with others. Does the internet bar also serve alcohol?

xoxoxoBruce 07-20-2004 11:22 AM

What does "a comfortable environment to have coffee in and socilize with others" have to do with the internet? Unless you're socializing on line, in which case, why the cafe?
I can picture someone sitting at a PC, chatting with friends, while others wait to use the machine. :confused:

Kitsune 07-20-2004 12:43 PM

Unless you're socializing on line, in which case, why the cafe?

I'm not sure. Maybe I just have fond memories of college computer labs where people would gather and be social. For some reason, despite the very unpersonal environment the computer offered, we always managed to start conversations. Maybe the aspect of all-nighters and all the collective suffering helped make the labs a bit more friendly.

But, now that you mention it, the last lab I was in was more like a library where you had to remain quiet and looking over someone's shoulder was responded to with violent acts.

Clodfobble 07-20-2004 02:12 PM

A few of the Schlotzsky's here in Austin have public computers, and an astounding number of restaurants have ethernet jacks (or full-blown wireless) ready for your own system.

ladysycamore 07-20-2004 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
What does "a comfortable environment to have coffee in and socilize with others" have to do with the internet? Unless you're socializing on line, in which case, why the cafe?

I can picture someone sitting at a PC, chatting with friends, while others wait to use the machine. :confused:

That is, if people are actually waiting for the comp. I've been to one net cafe in Baltimore, and there were no lines. In fact, it was fairly empty (well, I did take the day off of work, so that might have had something to do with it). But, for 8 bucks/hour, I didn't stay on the PC long anyway.

jaguar 07-21-2004 01:17 AM

I've come across two bars in Melbourne that had net terminals but more designed for a quick check of the email than an everone crowd round and play flash games kind of thing.

Wireless is getting more and more common pretty much everywhere, it's great. WIsh they couold sort out a single signon system though, I've got a wallet full of cards for different airports and locations.

wolf 07-21-2004 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsune
Unless you're socializing on line, in which case, why the cafe?

I'm not sure. Maybe I just have fond memories of college computer labs where people would gather and be social.

If it was a true computer lab in college, that would have involved a simulation of being social, rather than actual social interaction.

Things have changed, though, since the old days when I was in college and the only people in the computer labs were the actual certified geeks (and a few freshman who took COMPSCI 101 - Structured Basic as a means of getting out of Physics.) Yep, we had to chisel holes in punch cards that were made out of clay tablets ...

bluesdave 07-21-2004 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
Yep, we had to chisel holes in punch cards that were made out of clay tablets ...

Same here. I learnt Fortran on a Univac 1106. One student was assigned to shovel coal into the boiler to keep the steam pressure up. Ahrrr, those were the good old days... ;)

wolf 07-21-2004 01:58 AM

I once handed in a fortan project printed on a teletype that used continuous paper in a roll rather than greenbar fanfold. Because it was just easier, I rolled it up into a scroll and tied it with a bit of ribbon.

The teacher, who was a Greek Exchange student teaching fortran to make it through grad school, said in heavily accented English, "Fortran is old, but it is not that old."