The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Americans should boycott gasoline (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=17095)

SteveBsjb 04-24-2008 09:43 AM

Americans should boycott gasoline

I guess it would never happen. It just seems that there are so many of us (customers) that we should have more say. Like a customer union that can go on strike. No buying gas for a week. :mad2:

Shawnee123 04-24-2008 10:21 AM

Those of us in commuter societies (no busses, not much for taxi, no train) are screwed. I have to get to work, and to do so I have to buy gas. Then I bend over and smile because I want to pretend I like being fucked by the record-billions-in-profits bush, I mean oil, companies.

Sheldonrs 04-24-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 447881)
...Then I bend over and smile because I want to pretend I like being fucked by the record-billions-in-profits bush, I mean oil, companies.

Too bad I don't drive. I wouldn't have to "pretend".

HungLikeJesus 04-24-2008 10:43 AM

Sheldon, you don't drive? I thought you were an American.

glatt 04-24-2008 10:57 AM

I can't complain about my commute since it's all by Metro Rail, but when I walk past the office buildings a mile from my house to get to the station to go downtown to my office building, I wonder what the hell I'm doing. Why don't I work in the office building near my house? How awesome would it be to walk to work?

I often wonder if we all aren't just a little too specialized. If we just did a musical chairs thing, I bet we could all find good jobs close to our houses.

I come from the perspective of valuing my time with my family more than money, so I don't really understand people who choose to have long commutes so they can make a little extra money. Maybe I just haven't been offered enough cash.

kerosene 04-24-2008 10:59 AM

Because of my husband's commute, we are able to survive on his income alone. If he worked locally (in his field), this would not be possible.

Shawnee123 04-24-2008 11:01 AM

I could work at the factory across the street. I was a QA tech/supervisor for years. But now I do what I do. I don't want to go back.

And I can't complain about the commute, really, either. I'm not that far from work, but it is not within walking distance (though Steven Wright said everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.)

I would love to get a better car. I have actually considered a scooter/moped for these spring and summer months.

glatt 04-24-2008 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 447898)
Because of my husband's commute, we are able to survive on his income alone. If he worked locally (in his field), this would not be possible.

Well that certainly makes sense. How's his commute?

kerosene 04-24-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 447908)
Well that certainly makes sense. How's his commute?

Unfortunately, his commute sucks. Some days it is more than an hour one way. It all depends on Denver traffic.

HungLikeJesus 04-24-2008 11:32 AM

SteveB, you don't say why you think Americans should boycott gasoline, except "we should have more say." About what?

binky 04-24-2008 11:33 AM

Small town here. My husband works 2.5 miles from our house (no stoplights, although about 7 or 8 four way stops), and so if we don't go out of town, he could go 2 weeks without gassing up.

xoxoxoBruce 04-24-2008 11:49 AM

Soccer moms, shuffling kids hither, thither and yon. Picking up the dry cleaning, grab something at the market and go to the Post Office... oh, and stop at the liquor store.
Too many peoples lives are hectic, ill planned, and car centric.

Pigpen 04-24-2008 11:53 AM

I feel your pain at the pumps and feel so lucky that I live in a town that is about four sq. miles and drive one mile to work in a company truck. The girls are all grown up , married and paying for there own gas so mom and I only drive about 15 miles a week in our own car. But i do feel we are all getting screwed never the less

slang 04-24-2008 11:57 AM

I'm currently 6.5 miles away from the office and looking for another bike to commute with.

My goal for this summer is to not buy any gas until Sept 1. It now costs about 60 bucks to fill my car.

Wish me luck.

TheMercenary 04-24-2008 12:00 PM

I couldn't rationalize the payments on large bits of metal, plastic, and rubber in my driveway if I boycotted gas.