The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Picky Eaters (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33232)

xoxoxoBruce 12-21-2017 02:54 PM

Picky Eaters

2 Attachment(s)
Test for picky and mine

Happy Monkey 12-21-2017 03:11 PM

Will not choose, but won't necessarily pick or scrape off:
ketchup
mayo
mustard
vinegar
shrimp
tomatoes (I do like sauce, though)
bell peppers
coffee (unless it's a mocha)

Will not eat:

ranch dressing
raw fish
cooked fish
canned tuna (will eat canned salmon, though)
oysters
crab
snails

Undertoad 12-22-2017 09:37 AM

No
raw fish
oysters
snails
bell peppers
grapefruit

Maybe depends on preparation
pineapple
coconut
cucumbers

Flint 12-22-2017 12:18 PM

snails? I don't know, but I'd try them
grapefruit - tastes like bitter dirt to me, but I will drink the juice in a Greyhound, or Salty Dog (preferable with the salt)

everything else, totally yes, why not?

1st world problems

BigV 12-22-2017 12:42 PM

Picky eater list?

Looks more like a shopping list to me. Including the absence of cilantro.

xoxoxoBruce 12-22-2017 02:59 PM

Snails are pretty good, but like lobster, the flavor is in the garnish.

limey 12-22-2017 04:27 PM

I have eaten the lot and would again. [emoji39]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clodfobble 12-22-2017 05:50 PM

No olives, no canned tuna, no bread.

And snails taste like unbreaded calamari--which is to say, bland but not bad by any means.

sexobon 12-22-2017 07:46 PM

I was on a strategic reconnaissance exercise in France where my team of four spent a rainy night under poncho hooches inside a woodline adjacent to a residential area. By dawn the rain had stopped. It was still overcast and I had just gotten out of my sleeping bag when a man walked by, turning over leaves and branches with a long stick, while murmuring to himself. He paused for just a moment, looking up to see me standing there in my jungle fatigues, and said "Je cherche les escargots." Then he continued on like I wasn't even there. Serious business!

Sautéed in butter and garlic is the way they ought to be.

captainhook455 12-22-2017 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1000695)
Snails are pretty good, but like lobster, the flavor is in the garnish.

I like the claws the best. I haven't cooked lobster in years, but I imagine the boil is the same for blue claw crabs. Something I learned about crawfish is to keep them in fresh water for 3 days so they will purge their shit. If fresh caught and boiled then I have to spice the boil to mask the taste of crawfish shit.

captainhook455 12-23-2017 09:44 AM

I usually pick the onions off fast food sandwiches and burgers. I sharpen my knives so as to have paper thin slices.
Another is honey mustard, gross stuff.
Miracle Whip. Who thought of this shit?
Snails. I dunno never tried them.
I discovered mushrooms from a neighbor years ago. Love those oyster mushrooms. Purple ones make great tea. Makes me want to lick my wife all over.

classicman 12-23-2017 03:13 PM

All good here. Picky I am not ... at least when it comes to eating.
My list of "Will not eat" primarily contains organs.

captainhook455 12-23-2017 06:38 PM

Yup chitlins is definitely off the menu.

sexobon 12-26-2017 12:02 PM

I brought some marzipan candies, the uncoated fruit shaped kind, to a family gathering on Christmas day. It was surprising how many people didn't like marzipan. It was fresh product that I ordered right from the maker and I loved it.

bbro 12-28-2017 03:12 PM

No
blue cheese
raw fish
oysters
snails
brussel sprouts
mushrooms
pickles
beans
olives
peas
strawberries
banana
coconut
coffee

Maybe
cooked fish
crab (only if in something like mac and cheese)
pork
tofu
cabbage (no saurkraut or anything similar)
tomatoes (long list of what is and isn't acceptable)
zucchini
broccoli
eggplant
avocado
grapefruit
white chocolate

.....yea, I figured this would happen.

glatt 12-28-2017 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Marzipan would be on my no thank you list.

Attachment 62814

monster 12-28-2017 08:17 PM

no:
all of the things that lived in shells including snails
mustard (except for a tiny dash in a dressing I can usually handle)
pork (except in bacon form -that's ok for whatever reason I can't fathom -rest makes me puke)
pickles
All forms of bell pepper and chili
Cilantro

Guess I would if I was hungry enough/being polite but ttally wasted on me:
Zucchini
Olives
Avocado
White chocolate
Tofuck <<<what is the fucking point if you are a meat eater? I used to chew on erasers as a kid. they had more taste and texture. And it squeaks on my teeth. Or feels like it.

monster 12-28-2017 08:19 PM

....I noticed that most of the ones that just do nothing for me have similar textures, but I would say that mushroom could be included in that texture group and I love mushrooms.

So picky AND weird.

classicman 12-29-2017 08:27 AM

Like chili peppers? Don't click here

xoxoxoBruce 01-18-2018 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
NO NO NO, this shall not stand. :vomitblu:

glatt 01-19-2018 07:08 AM

And the beer is even too small.

limey 01-19-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1002497)
NO NO NO, this shall not stand. :vomitblu:

Cauliflower steak is the new veggie discovery over here. Our high-end food supermarket (Marks and Spencer) is selling pre-prepared, packaged cauliflower steaks for £2.60, while you can buy a whole cauliflower at any store for about 60p.

Carruthers 01-19-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 1002513)
Cauliflower steak is the new veggie discovery over here. Our high-end food supermarket (Marks and Spencer) is selling pre-prepared, packaged cauliflower steaks for £2.60, while you can buy a whole cauliflower at any store for about 60p.

'Cauliflower is nothing but a cabbage with a college education'. (Mark Twain).

And each is an abomination in the sight of the Lord.

In the, thankfully unlikely, event that Dad suggested we had either for lunch, I'd give vent to my inner Gordon Ramsay. :censored:

bbro 01-19-2018 12:34 PM

I love cauliflower......when people aren't trying to pass it off as another food. cauliflower != (potatoes or rice)

glatt 01-19-2018 03:01 PM

Hated it as a kid, but my mom boiled it.

It's not so bad now if you roast it and coat it with salt and a bit of oil.

monster 01-19-2018 05:26 PM

lightly steamed, smothered in cheese sauce, then with a topping of more cheese and under the grill/broiler for a few seconds..... yum.

--------

Pologirl has a new group of friend who have decided to hold social evenings trying unpopular/weird/fad foods. last week was Limburger cheese. (She couldn't taste it beneath the raw onion and mustard, but it did smell horrible). Next one will be a fermentation special with kombucha and kimchi, apparently.

DanaC 01-19-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1002528)
lightly steamed, smothered in cheese sauce, then with a topping of more cheese and under the grill/broiler for a few seconds..... yum.

Cauliflower cheese. Food of the gods.

I gotta say that cauli meatloaf thing looks quite nice to me :P Bit of good beef gravy over that and I'm in.

Glinda 01-19-2018 06:12 PM

A friend that can't eat chocolate passed on a gift that was given to him by someone that had recently traveled to Malaysia. The gift?

https://www.kurikku.com/image/kurikk...ct-1296/z1.jpg

I'm so tempted to try it, but Andrew Zimmern won't even eat that shit.

xoxoxoBruce 01-19-2018 06:18 PM

I understand it tastes wonderful if you have no sense of smell. :haha:

Glinda 01-20-2018 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1002538)
I understand it tastes wonderful if you have no sense of smell. :haha:

Or functioning taste buds. ;)

xoxoxoBruce 01-20-2018 05:33 AM

Smithsonian says...
Quote:

Durians Smell Awful — But the Taste Is Heavenly.

Glinda 01-20-2018 11:14 AM

Ehhh . . . I don't know.

Andrew Zimmern's reaction leads me to believe otherwise. ;)

monster 01-20-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 1002529)
Cauliflower cheese. Food of the gods.

It's what's for dinner! ...with roast chicken, roast spuds and all the trimmings. And Kale. :D

DanaC 01-20-2018 01:45 PM

Ohhhh .... God that sounds tasty.

I haven't had roast chicken for ages. I think my next food shop may have to include a small chicken for me and Carrot to share.

limey 01-20-2018 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1002528)

--------

Pologirl has a new group of friend who have decided to hold social evenings trying unpopular/weird/fad foods. last week was Limburger cheese. (She couldn't taste it beneath the raw onion and mustard, but it did smell horrible). Next one will be a fermentation special with kombucha and kimchi, apparently.

My dad gave a piece of Limburger cheese to a sausage dog (dachshund/wiener dog) we used to have to see whether she would eat it. She rolled on it enthusiastically [emoji38]

limey 01-20-2018 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 1002568)
Ohhhh .... God that sounds tasty.

I haven't had roast chicken for ages. I think my next food shop may have to include a small chicken for me and Carrot to share.

I’m astonished. Roast chicken one day = chicken sandwiches for work/chicken curry/chicken soup .... they almost make themselves from the first one. [emoji490][emoji490][emoji490]

monster 01-20-2018 05:21 PM

With two flown the nest, there is finally, occasionally, some leftover meat from a 6lb chicken.... But Thunderboy eats enough to feed a small nation of non-swimmers....

monster 01-20-2018 05:22 PM

(chicken just went in the oven :D )

xoxoxoBruce 01-20-2018 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 1002559)
Ehhh . . . I don't know.

Andrew Zimmern's reaction leads me to believe otherwise. ;)

But that's one man's opinion. Remember millions go out of their way and spend big bucks to eat it.

Glinda 01-20-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1002588)
But that's one man's opinion. Remember millions go out of their way and spend big bucks to eat it.

:D I wish them well. I'm still interested in tasting the chocolate-covered durian, but I think I'll wait until I'm good and wasted to give it a try. HA!

xoxoxoBruce 01-20-2018 11:48 PM

But then you miss the impact of mother nature and loose the reason to get wasted.

Yeah yeah, what's a reason, and why do we need it?

Glinda 01-21-2018 12:49 PM

Eh, I don't get really ripped very often, but I do smoke every day.

If I don't smoke at least a little every day, I have crazy frustration dreams - can't find something I need for a meeting, can't get to the meeting because the roads are closed, can't notify the person I'm supposed to meet that the roads are closed because the phones are out - that sort of stuff. I wake up terribly stressed and upset.

But with a little THC in my system, all of that goes away. I don't know if I'm not dreaming at all, or if I'm not remembering my dreams . . . either way, a little bud every day is a great blessing. I wake up rested, calm, and in a good mood. :)

As for eating durian, I think I'd need to be really buzzed to summon the nerve. :rolleyes:

BigV 01-21-2018 12:57 PM

The durian is quite tasty. The texture is very smooth and creamy and it tastes slightly sweet.

The fragrance of the fruit when you start to open it is pungent and not sweet, not terribly appetizing. It is very weird.

Adding chocolate... I don't know.. You will be missing a significant part of the experience, but not a great one.. Go for it!

Glinda 01-21-2018 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 1002640)
The durian is quite tasty. The texture is very smooth and creamy and it tastes slightly sweet.

The fragrance of the fruit when you start to open it is pungent and not sweet, not terribly appetizing. It is very weird.

Adding chocolate... I don't know.. You will be missing a significant part of the experience, but not a great one.. Go for it!

Ok, ok, ok! I did it!

First impression - onions. Second impression - chocolatey onions. Weird.

Didn't make me wretch, but it wasn't particularly tasty either. I suspect that without the chocolate, my reaction would be quite different. :rolleyes: