The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stupid Questions Thread (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4451)

September 11-24-2003 03:30 PM

Stupid Questions Thread

There's not point in devoting a whole thread to the following question, so I'm suggesting this be the stupid question thread.

Anyway, my question:

When writing a thank-you note for someone, if you've recently moved to a really pretty area, is it a major faux paus to send a thank-you note via a postcard?

HaywardNelson 11-24-2003 03:34 PM

I would go to a paper store and see if they have any cards with scenery on them. Actually, no, I wouldn't, because I am the worst with that kind of stuff, but if I were a better person I would.

My stupid question:

If you have a plastic measuring cup and you measure milk in it and then you don't wash it for a while, should you toss it? Purely hypothetically speaking of course.

SteveDallas 11-24-2003 03:37 PM

So few thank-you notes get sent these days, my opinion would be that practically any format is probably better than nothing.

It depends on the definition of "a while." If we're talking a few hours, I'd run it through the dishwasher. If you're talking overnight or longer, I'd probably toss it myself. (You can just imagine what a kid's spill-proof sippy cup of milk is like after being stored under the couch for several days. At that point I can't even bring myself to open it, much less wash it.)

kerosene 11-24-2003 03:40 PM

Ooh, then I also wonder: Is it okay to eat eggs after their expiration date? How long do you *really* have? What about milk? Does the sell by date really mean you are not safe using it after that time?

September 11-24-2003 03:41 PM

You shouldn't cry over spilled milk, but I'd certainly gag over spoiled milk.

Dishwasher it. If it still smells, ug...

see, I'd be paraniod about it, no matter how clean it actually was. Mind over matter.

September 11-24-2003 03:43 PM

if i leave a carton of eggs on the counter overnight, are they still okay?

lumberjim 11-24-2003 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by case
Ooh, then I also wonder: Is it okay to eat eggs after their expiration date? How long do you *really* have? What about milk? Does the sell by date really mean you are not safe using it after that time?
eggs- eggs last a long long time if refrigerated. most of the ones that expire on the shelf are simply put into new containers with valid dates anyway.*

milk- you shouldn't be drinking that shit in the first place. BGH, allergens etc.

*this is something i saw on tv, so it must be true

kerosene 11-24-2003 03:48 PM

I'm lactose intolerant, anyway, but I have always pondered that...same with cheese and anything else with a sell by date. That messes me up, because I don't know if it is really to the benefit of the consumer or just the dairy/grocery stockers.

When I WAS a dairy stocker, I didn't find the dates useful at all, as it usually meant I had to go through the whole department and toss everything that was past the date. Most of the stuff was just fine, or seemed so. :confused:

HaywardNelson 11-24-2003 03:48 PM

I like milk.

I would toss those eggs superfast, September.

lumberjim 11-24-2003 03:55 PM

milk pustache

Quote:

Originally posted by HaywardNelson
I like milk.

do you know what you're drinking?

zippyt 11-24-2003 03:56 PM

on the milk issue , smell it ( does it smell like dog shit ??) , taste it ( does it taste like dog shit ??) , if it smells and tasts like dog shit it MUST be dog shit ,, THROW IT OUT !!!!

on the eggs , my wife sees if they float , good eggs float , bad eggs sink , or is it the other way around ?? I'll ask her .

September 11-24-2003 03:59 PM

Re: milk pustache

Quote:

Originally posted by lumberjim

Yet another reason why I hate milk.

DNK 11-24-2003 04:02 PM

Re: Re: milk pustache

Quote:

Originally posted by September

Yet another reason why I hate milk.

I have another.

Oh yeah, and this one.

GBA

DNK

DNK 11-24-2003 04:18 PM

Oh dear lord, how have I forgotten this one , the bane of my existence.

GBA

DNK

ladysycamore 11-24-2003 05:32 PM

Re: milk pustache

Quote:

Originally posted by lumberjim

Dear God. Almost makes me glad that I need to reduce my dairy because of the high phophorus count.

Not that I was a big milk drinker anyway, but still...:worried: