The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Talk to the Hand (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9641)

Trilby 12-02-2005 09:17 AM

Talk to the Hand

Lynn Truss, the author of EATS, SHOOTS AND LEAVES has a new one out, titled TALK TO THE HAND about the astonishing level of rudeness we encounter in every day situations. I was thinking about how I felt after reading some posts in the Politics Forum and I've identified what this vague, shadow-boxing aggression does to me: it makes me weary. Very, very weary. I'm not upset, or impressed. I'm not frightened or angry. I'm just...really tired. I think that the screaming, vein-popping animosity that people feel entitled to give vent to is a consequence of something greater. I am going to make a conscious effort to hold back and observe. I'm also going to try to do better. That is how tired I am.

Sundae 12-02-2005 10:15 AM

Perhaps its the phase of the moon....? I walked around a corner earlier this week & bumped into someone - neither of us could have avoided it, but he still found it necessary to call me a cunt before stalking off.

Twice in one week is a record for me I think.

barefoot serpent 12-02-2005 12:58 PM

I thought it was a biography of Seņor Wences.

...so wrong!

Catwoman 12-05-2005 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
...he still found it necessary to call me a cunt before stalking off

Don't take it to heart, you live in the Midlands.

Hello all, long time no see, etc, I'm working from home now and on a really slow expensive dial up, and you can't claim 'The Cellar' against tax. Good to see you're all still alive though :)

mrnoodle 12-05-2005 05:07 PM

Catwoman! There's a name I haven't seen in awhile. How ya been.

slang 12-06-2005 07:08 AM

In some cultures the name "cunt" is actually a compliment.

Take it light SG. Could be much worse.

Catwoman 12-06-2005 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnoodle
Catwoman! There's a name I haven't seen in awhile. How ya been.

At moments great, at others bored and stifled. I am not working in a 'proper' job anymore, but doing much more freelance writing, and in the process of setting up a business. Got no money whatsoever and have discovered I am a crap writer hence plan to start business. I do miss you lot, oddly enough, but I can't afford to stay on here long. Must go and find out about that new-fangled hairband system....

glatt 12-06-2005 12:23 PM

That was your 1000th post!

Good to see you back, if only briefly.

Trilby 12-06-2005 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catwoman
I do miss you lot, oddly enough,

She's still sweet as ever.

Elspode 12-06-2005 07:27 PM

Ever since Catwoman posted her pic way back when, she's always been my fantasy image of a mature Brit woman for lust purposes.

Cyclefrance 12-07-2005 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catwoman
.....I'm working from home now and on a really slow expensive dial up, and you can't claim 'The Cellar' against tax. Good to see you're all still alive though :)

Try Tiscali my feline friend - cheap as chips - I deduct my monthly broadband subscription against what the taxman would otherwise like to charge me without much trouble, so I am sure he would treat a self-employed pussycat in like fashion and on equal terms.

TTFN
CF

PS are you any good with a crochet needle - just asking....

wolf 12-07-2005 12:30 PM

Are you running some sort of crochet sweatshop or something, CF?

warch 12-07-2005 06:03 PM

and also please, define "good".

footfootfoot 12-07-2005 09:34 PM

Ta Ta for now?

That sends me back.