The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's scorching your groove today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18360)

glatt 11-16-2016 01:47 PM

The best article I've ever seen on reversing a motor.

By the dude who designed my band saw.

footfootfoot 11-16-2016 02:15 PM

I had linked to that in my original reply which got lost somehow. That guy is a mine of information. I lost a couple of hours to him the other night. I'm a bit too addled at the moment to follow everything he is saying and my motor seems atypical.

BigV 11-16-2016 09:22 PM

Why not use the belt in a figure eight configuration?

Can't take credit for the idea.

http://www.rodbuilding.org/photopost...-motor/cat/508

xoxoxoBruce 11-17-2016 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 973822)
Why not use the belt in a figure eight configuration?

footfootfoot 11-17-2016 11:32 AM

It looks very easy on the drawing, less so IRL

BigV 11-17-2016 03:00 PM

Can you skew the mounting of the motor at all to give you a little breathing room as the belt crosses itself?

What about a different belt?

Not your regular powertwist v belt, maybe round in cross section, a rubberized rope, tarred rope.... Thinking out loud here.

This is a temp solution to get you turning for this weekend's work/sales. You can get the motor rewired at your leisure later.. Or, things are different IRL.

footfootfoot 11-17-2016 03:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
There is literally no room for any solution apart from a CW running motor.

Last night I figured since the first motor was more or less fucked I decided to screw with it and see if I could get it working again. apparently I put something where it wasn't supposed to be and when I plugged it in there was an impressive arc, shower of sparks, and popped breaker. It's now in the copper recycling outbox.

Still waiting on my electrician friend. In the meantime I have some other paying work to attend to and I'm also scoping Craigslist. Saw a great (most likely stolen) Baldor 3 phase, 3HP motor for $100, new in box, only about 40 min away, and another new in box, single phase 1/3 hp motor for $50, but it's about 2 hours away.

They keep popping up on CL and I can also make a trip to the recycling place and pull another one out of a fridge there.

Here are some pics of the sewing machine motor, as you can see it doesn't even bear a passing resemblance to the drawing on the rod building site.

glatt 11-17-2016 07:43 PM

What are you going to do with a 3 phase motor? Surely you don't have access to that kind of power supply in your house. Way more trouble than it's work.

footfootfoot 11-17-2016 07:59 PM

Of course not, again, I'm not being clear because I'm addled. I meant I saw it it while looking for motors and was attracted to the price and quality until I saw it was three phase, etc.

glatt 11-17-2016 08:04 PM

Ah, yes. I've fallen for the same trap numerous times. You see a wonderful motor and get all excited only to notice a few minutes later that it's 3 phase.

xoxoxoBruce 11-17-2016 08:08 PM

There is an add-on box to change single phase into three phase, but it's bullshit you don't want to get into.
Guess I'll have to look at my whole shelf of motors tomorrow.

Gravdigr 11-18-2016 01:20 PM

I just broke a tooth, clenching my jaw.

God dammit.

BigV 11-18-2016 01:53 PM

Owwwowowwuch!

glatt 11-18-2016 02:51 PM

I guess that explains the banging your head against the wall icon in the day in history thread.

Seems like you could use some relaxin.

footfootfoot 11-18-2016 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 973927)
There is an add-on box to change single phase into three phase, but it's bullshit you don't want to get into.
Guess I'll have to look at my whole shelf of motors tomorrow.

A shelf of motors? I am envy.