The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

Gravdigr 02-28-2014 11:24 AM

Saw 'Gravity'. Really liked it. 8

Just watched 'Thor' last night. It was ok. 7

footfootfoot 02-28-2014 02:20 PM

I didn't like gravity so much, although I like the look of Sandra B.

Gravity gravdigr ? Coincidence?

BigV 03-05-2014 11:50 AM

diggity diggity

infinite monkey 03-08-2014 08:11 AM

Okey dokey.

Nebraska was really good. Funny. Great acting and cinematography. I haven't yet seen Gravity but I don't really understand how a space movie can win a cinematography Oscar over a film like Nebraska...which is shot in black and white and makes the bleakness of parts of Nebraska and Montana just beautiful. And like, it's actual real scenery. Oh well...I was glad to see Bruce Dern get a good role like that. (see Who Is This thread.)

I'm getting close to the end of Breaking Bad. I don't want it to be over. Is there a discussion thread on this series? I don't want to go there yet, since I've not seen the ending yet, but it would be fun to discuss the character development in THAT series! Just, wow.

And as I was watching Nebraska with a friend I was saying "that guy...the other son Ross, he's been in a bunch of stuff but I'm not sure what offhand." Well DUH...he plays SAUL GOODMAN. Bob Odenkirk.

Now I get Dana's usertitle Better Call Saul. Makes me giggle. Damn he's got some funny lines in that show. So I hear tell that he's getting a spinoff series called Better Call Saul that chronicles his life leading up to opening the law office in the strip mall in Albuquerque. Hmm...should be interesting.

orthodoc 03-10-2014 12:33 AM

Last of the Mohicans, again. On TNT, actually, although I have the DVD.

Daniel Day-Lewis is this movie.

Not quite fair ... the movie is perfect, and every actor/actress is necessary.

Gravdigr 03-14-2014 04:23 PM

Homefront - meh. Cinematography is awful.

orthodoc 03-14-2014 07:45 PM

More GoT! Time to take a break from writing papers.

footfootfoot 03-26-2014 09:07 AM

Finally saw Slum Dog Millionaire. It was better than I thought it would be, based on all the overwhelmingly positive reviews.

Gravdigr 03-27-2014 05:13 PM

I saw 'The Wolf of Wall Street' last night. Goddamn, that quaalude scene...I don't know if I've ever laughed that hard. When that scene was over I was exhausted. Overall, an 8.75 out of 10.

Also watched 'Odd Thomas'. Not as good as the book(s), of course. Still pretty good, though. You'll like it more if you haven't read the books. A 7/7.5 outta 10.

footfootfoot 03-28-2014 06:38 AM

Watched RED the other night and U 571 or something like that. RED was great. I could see it as a mini series if it had good writers. U 571 kind of sucked, there are so many better WWII (the big one) movies. Too much of the plot rested on one captive who was inexplicably determined and tenacious for an electrician, and who was also rather casually restrained.

I give it three donkeys.

Gravdigr 03-28-2014 01:49 PM

Watched "American Hustle" last night. The cure for insomnia has been found.

Jeez, what a complete, and total turd. 1 out of 10

Gravdigr 03-28-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 895575)
Watched RED the other night and U 571...

I liked "U-571" ok. But, I really like submarine movies.

footfootfoot 03-31-2014 11:16 AM

I like sub movies too, I guess my hopes were too high.

BigV 03-31-2014 10:32 PM

watched The Wolf of Wall Street. I enjoyed it.

also watched Dallas Buyer's Club. Excellent, Oscar was deserved.

infinite monkey 04-04-2014 10:03 AM

OK fine. I was wrong. WRONG WRONG WRONG.

On the advice of a friend whose opinion I value, I bought the first season of The Walking Dead. Then I bought seasons 2 and 3. Then I bought season 4 an episode at a time until I got to episode 11, which was still playing on free on demand. Then I watched the last two eps on TV like normal folk.

It's rather soap opera-ish. I like that it's not all about the zombies, and running from zombies. Zombies aren't carrying on love affairs or fooling the pretty girls with their beautiful selves. You know a 'walker' when you see one, you don't have to be all 'OMG that walker is SO cute why does he have to be a bad walker?'

I got all caught up in the characters. And the underlying apocalyptic 'good vs evil' theme...well, there's nothing new under the sun but this is a nice spin on that concept.

I love Rick. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Daryl. I love Michonne. I grew to love Carol. Carl is about the cutest kid on earth. It's just fun!

On the advice of another person whose opinion I typically agree with, I got the first season of Justified. I'm just not getting into it. I may try again. I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I started watching Breaking Bad and got seriously hooked on that later.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for the final season of Mad Men to start.