The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

wolf 05-26-2006 01:08 PM

Romper Stomper

Netflix is helping me chew my way through my "to see" list. Interesting movie, but I would have kicked the chick out flat on her ass ASAP.

I think Hostel should arrive in the mail today. I forget if someone else told me to see that, or if it was Netflix's Recommender's fault.

Happy Monkey 05-26-2006 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV
You're gonna LOVE it. The opening act of the opening disc of the opening season is Mahna Mahna! It sets the tone perfectly.

Hee! Also, apparently Joel Grey was somewhat famous even before he was on Buffy and Alias...

Happy Monkey 05-30-2006 03:23 PM

I dropped "Sky High" in my Peerflix queue when I saw that Bruce Campbell and two of the Kids in the Hall were in it. It was OK.

About the Muppets - Why was Scooter's hiring in episode 3 or 4, when he had already been hired as of episode one? There wasn't any indication that it was a flashback.

BigV 05-30-2006 04:32 PM

I'll double check...

wolf 06-03-2006 02:01 PM

Hostel turned out to be about the lamest possible horror/shocker movie that I have seen, and I have seen some serious stinkers over the years.

Other recent views:

Van Helsing (again)
The Night Stalker
The Night Strangler (as prep for watching the whole series)
C.S. Lewis - Beyond Narnia
South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut.

Griff 06-06-2006 06:40 AM

Time Bandits :)

BigV 06-06-2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
About the Muppets - Why was Scooter's hiring in episode 3 or 4, when he had already been hired as of episode one? There wasn't any indication that it was a flashback.

Answer:

The first three episodes were not in wide release. The first episode to be aired widely was the Rita Moreno episode. Scooter was not in that one, in a conscious effort to minimize the large number of characters being introduced at once. The next episode "introduces" Scooter to the audience, even though we who have watched the disc for the previous two hours already know his schtick.

You're wondering what kind of person knows this, I'm sure. The alternate lanuguage subtitle track is your friend. :)

Happy Monkey 06-06-2006 12:52 PM

I'm going to go back and watch it with trivia on, and I figured they'd probably explain that, but I was impatient. Thanks!

wolf 06-06-2006 12:56 PM

In Cold Blood (prompted by having seen Capote)

erno365 06-08-2006 05:48 AM

Just watched "Crash" yesterday and when I saw this DVD, I think that the feeling was awed because it was something real and very deep... It's a melodramatic movie... I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and it really showed how we racially divided as a society... Before I watched the movie I actually have read a review about it and thought it was an educational documentary...

wolf 06-08-2006 11:02 AM

The Night Stalker TV Series. I've only made it through episodes 1&2 so far. Like much 70s television, it's far cheesier today than I thought it was when I was 12.

The police expend an awful lot of ammo trying to shoot down invincible monsters.

Flint 06-08-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
it's far cheesier today than I thought it was when I was 12.

Recently watching a DVD of G-Force was downright traumatic - it was horrible!

wolf 06-21-2006 12:49 AM

Oldboy - Korean film that serves as proof that the US and Europe have not cornered the market in surreal movies. This one is awesome. Early scenes of the movie in which our progtagonist, Oh Dae Su, is spending some time on the drunken asshole bench at the police station, do not in any way prepare you for the oddness to come.

Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman (2003) - This is the most recent version of what apparently is a venerable character in Japanese Samurai Movies. I suspect the concept was "borrowed" for Rutger Hauer's Blind Fury. There are some amazingly well choreographed fight scenes (of the rewind and rewatch variety ... everything moves so fast you have to go back and see what actually happened). It has just the right blend of typical badguys in the village, humor, and intrigue. Oh, and watch out for the Geishas!

bluecuracao 06-21-2006 03:47 AM

Eight Below--I had fairly low expectations going in, just figured it would be a cute, cheezy dog movie, but it was pretty amazing! Not to mention a huge tear jerker. Supposed to take place in Antartica, but it was mostly filmed in Canada, with some filming in Greenland and a set. The dogs were beautiful, and great actors. :) I had a Malamute as a child, so the movie brought back a lot of happy and sad memories for me.

lookout123 06-21-2006 03:52 AM

recently purchased all ten seasons of FRIENDS on dvd. pretty fun really.

bluecuracao 06-21-2006 04:07 AM

OK, my dear fiance is in his office watching "Camp Cuddly Pines Power Tool Massacre." Yes, it's a real movie, and he even made up his own song about it. I haven't seen it, so I can't post a review, but it sounds hilarious and uh, breathy.

wolf 06-21-2006 10:05 AM

Is that a real movie, or is it kept in that little room in the back of the video store? The Power Tool thing tipped me off.

rkzenrage 06-22-2006 04:43 PM

Just watched Muppet Treasure Island.... having a two year old is so mentally stimulating.

KinkyVixen 06-22-2006 05:42 PM

I just watched The Boondock Saints...and have since watched it three more times. Great movie!!! The sad part is...it took me two viewings just to put it all together. :( I guess that's what I get for taking too many hits from the :bong:

bluecuracao 06-22-2006 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
Is that a real movie, or is it kept in that little room in the back of the video store? The Power Tool thing tipped me off.

Real, as in mainstream, as in does Netflix carry it? No. You guessed right.

Ibby 06-23-2006 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff
Time Bandits

Seen it a BILLION times! Love it.

rkzenrage 06-28-2006 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint
Recently watching a DVD of G-Force was downright traumatic - it was horrible!

Greatest show of all time.:cool:

wolf 07-09-2006 12:54 PM

Shaun of the Dead (bloody funny. and touching.)

Spirited Away (liked better than the other two Miyuzaki Anime's I've seen, Princess Mononoke and Steamboy, but won't be on any of my top 10 lists. It's cute, but not spectacular, IMHO. I can understand why Studio Ghibli became associated with Disney, because they have a DisneyEast feel to them already.)

Black Adder 07-09-2006 04:47 PM

Steamboy isn't Miyazaki. It's Otomo.

wolf 07-09-2006 09:16 PM

Really? Oops. They were so stylistically similar. Thanks for the correction. See, I'm not really into this anime stuff, but I know what I like ...

Happy Monkey 07-09-2006 10:30 PM

MI-5 Season 3. Ack! I'd forgotten the biggest events of the season! Good show.

Blade 1 and 2. Eh. Pretty good, I guess, for what it is.

bluecuracao 08-20-2006 01:44 AM

Mrs. Harris. Ben Kingsley plays the perfect bastard as Hy Tarnower, the author of The Scarsdale Diet, and Annette Benning is great as the classy Philadelphia teacher turned suicidal/murderous lover. I was intrigued to see Cloris Leachman as Tarnower's beyond bitter sister--not one bit of the pleasant, funny lady we usually see!

Also, The Shaggy Dog. I haven't seen the original...probably doesn't matter. It was entertaining, if for the irony--Tim Allen and Robert Downey, Jr. in a Disney movie? Hee hee.

Urbane Guerrilla 08-20-2006 02:17 AM

Running about all the episodes of Firefly, probably all the way up to Serenity.

Now we see stuff flying out of a dump truck and go, "What was that?"

Griff 08-20-2006 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
Running about all the episodes of Firefly, probably all the way up to Serenity.

Now we see stuff flying out of a dump truck and go, "What was that?"

That might be good for your politics. :)

footfootfoot 08-20-2006 08:33 AM

I watched Shaolin Soccer. Twice.

A really fun movie, with excellent cinematography and fun special effects.

wolf 08-20-2006 10:06 AM

V for Vendetta - I am SO glad I didn't buy this. What a way to make a perfectly good comic book suck ass. Baboon ass, to be precise. You know, the really red ones.

I also watched through a lot of things last weekend that I didn't get a chance to post about ...

Red Lion - eh. Forgot about the samurai movie cliche where everyone dies at the end. Sorry I just ruined it for you, but I saved you two hours of your life.
Brave New World (OnDemand, not DVD) - Must have been made for tv, stayed fairly close to the story line, but the acting was wooden
Hero - visually striking, but the story lost me in a couple of places. I think I fell asleep.
Kinsey - not as bad as I expected, but some of the less savory bits of his research methodology were glossed over.
Firewall - Don't waste your time. Formulaic badguys kidnap the bank computer security guy's wife and kids to force him to do something impossible.

Griff 08-20-2006 12:26 PM

Which "Hero" is that?

BigV 08-21-2006 09:53 AM

This Hero, I'm guessing. I loved it. Most definitely eye candy, and enough story to keep me awake. It's on my buy list.

Spexxvet 08-21-2006 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot
I watched Shaolin Soccer. Twice.

A really fun movie, with excellent cinematography and fun special effects.

I love S.S. and Kung Fu Hustle

Spexxvet 08-21-2006 12:16 PM

On Demand - White Noise. So-So. The most notable thing is that Michael Keaton has turned into a weird, scary guy. Even in the scenes where he is supposed to be very sad or happy, he has a look on his face like he's a serial killer. I can't imagine him ever again in a comedic roll.

Urbane Guerrilla 08-23-2006 12:32 AM

Griff, go watch something. Something classic. :p

Ibby 08-23-2006 03:43 AM

Gilmore Girls season Three.

glatt 08-23-2006 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram
Gilmore Girls season Three.

Yuck.

Flint 08-23-2006 10:39 AM

Dude...you're supposed to post cool shit on here.

dar512 08-23-2006 11:16 AM

Chronicles of Narnia - better than I expected. Faithful to the book and fairly well acted.

Ibby 08-23-2006 09:49 PM

I have a soft spot for Gilmore Girls, for a chick-flick/tv show its really well written, witty, and packed full of pop culture/music references. And not too overdramatic.

But last night, i got...

PINKY AND THE BRAIN
YES PINKY AND THE BRAIN
ONE IS A GENIOUS
THE OTHER'S INSANE!

Urbane Guerrilla 08-23-2006 10:35 PM

Now sing it to "Singin' In The Rain."

"Piiinky and the Brain/Yes, Piiinky and the Brain/One ooof them is a ge-nius/The o-ther's insane/They're la-b'ratory mice/Their geeenes have been spliced/They're dinky... they're Pinky and th' Brain!"

bluecuracao 08-24-2006 02:34 AM

Little Buddha. I was surprised--I knew that Chris Isaac was in it, and I knew that his kid was supposed to be a modern reincarnation of Siddhartha, but I had no idea that most of the movie was actually an overview of the tale of Siddhartha. Keanu Reeves was downright hot as the Enlightened One.

wolf 08-31-2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV
This Hero, I'm guessing. I loved it. Most definitely eye candy, and enough story to keep me awake. It's on my buy list.

That's the one.

Pangloss62 08-31-2006 03:18 PM

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeVideoArt/42/201842.jpg

One of Russ Meyer's best. Great music, and lots of great close-ups of...transistor radios and portable reel-to-reel tape players! I shit you not. His obsession for radios and hi-fi equipment was almost as great as his obession with women like Kathy Harris (see that Katherine Harris thread).:)

Griff 09-02-2006 04:35 PM

Cidade de Deus

Saw City of God last night. This is an excellent Portugese language flick set in the slums of Rio de Janero. From the imbd I found out that the actors were all local unknowns. I really liked how they put the storylines together and the acting was remarkable.

glatt 09-05-2006 08:22 AM

Just saw Inside Man over the weekend. Surprisingly good Spike Lee bank heist movie. It keeps you riveted throughout, and you find yourself rooting for all the characters throughout. I'm not such a Spike Lee fan, but this was really good. Not preachy at all.

Pangloss62 09-05-2006 08:37 AM

Cidade de Deus

That WAS a great flick. I loved how the characters developed over time. I've been to Brasil 8 times and have even been to some of those Favelas, albeit the ones outside of Sao Paulo. When in Rio, I only saw them from the Copacabana. A good comparison is to watch Black Orpheus (Orfeu Negro, 1959) which is set in Rio during Carnival. The plot is a bit maudlin, but it's got some great camera work and cool editing. The music is credited with starting the Bossa Nova trend, but that could be argued (by me especially).:neutral:

Happy Monkey 09-05-2006 10:26 AM

Bottom. Consistently amusing, and repulsively endearing characters. A few laugh-out-loud moments.

Spexxvet 09-05-2006 01:01 PM

Syriana. Didn't like it.

Ibby 09-08-2006 07:12 AM

WELCOME TO GOOD BURGER HOME OF THE GOOD BURGER CAN I TAKE YOUR ORDER?

Ibby 09-09-2006 12:12 AM

The Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars Motion Picture. One of the best shows that has ever been put on, as well as Ziggy's final hours.

wolf 09-13-2006 11:15 PM

Oz, Season 6. Started tonight.

Ibby 09-16-2006 06:12 PM

The Dub Room Special!

(Zappa)

Griff 09-17-2006 08:48 AM

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou :)
I liked this a lot but will not recommend it to anyone because it isn't going to work for most. Seu Jorge is really amusing repeatedly singing Ziggy Stardust pieces in Portugese while accompanying himself on the acoustic. If you grew up on Jacque Crosteau and want to mock it a little this movie may work.

Elspode 09-19-2006 10:23 AM

I used to mock Jacques Cousteau on a regular basis, but lovingly, as I was and am a major fan.

I watched "Silent Running" with Bruce Dern on Saturday. The 70's were so very innocent, in a twisted and bizarre way.

wolf 09-20-2006 11:33 AM

Spent the weekend with a rock rolled up against the cave door.

Finished watching Oz, Season 6.

Howl's Moving Castle (very cool!)

Fantastic Four (better than expected, got the Thing's Existential Angst pretty well)

Bewitched (can I have this two hours of my life back please)

Dark Water (not very horrifying horror film, too predictable, no scenes that cause you to jump or shriek)

KinkyVixen 09-27-2006 04:06 PM

I'm into Scrubs, 24, and Prison Break - all on DVD 'cause that's the only way I ever get to watch a TV Series.
As for movies...i haven't seen a movie in a loooooooooooooong time.
I like crazy jacked up movies, like Donnie Darko, Requiem for a Dream, The Butterfly Effect. Or, movies that make me think like Crash, and Big Fish. Other than that, anything that's scary or funny...

[edit] for The Boondock Saints. That movie rocks!! I watched it like 6 times in 3 days when I bought it.

Ibby 10-01-2006 02:00 AM

Arrested Development.

Best.
Show.
EVER!

...Well, maybe not ever, but pretty close.

stereogramm 10-01-2006 03:36 AM

Saw The Godfather yesterday again. The best movie I have ever seen.