The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Can I transfer my Kindle books to a notebook or i-pad type device? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=28521)

IamSam 01-12-2013 02:05 PM

Can I transfer my Kindle books to a notebook or i-pad type device?

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not up on all the latest technology since much of it is too expensive for me.

Anyhow, my ancient Kindle recently bit the dust, and I got a small wind fall that would allow me to spend $200 - $300 on a new device. I don't own a smart phone and I'm interested in something that would run some of the assistive app's now available as well as a place to download and read e-books.

Any suggestions?

DanaC 01-12-2013 02:07 PM

As far as I know Kindle do an app for most platforms. They definitely do one for Ipad and Iphone, and they do one for windows desktop, so my guess is there's one for other tablets too.

[eta] I should clarify that this allows access to my kindle library of books via my desktop or iphone.

limey 01-12-2013 03:06 PM

I have accessed my Kindle books on a PC, an iPod touch, an iPad and an android phone.

Sent by thought transference

Undertoad 01-12-2013 03:07 PM

There is Kindle for Android.

I must say the Kindle Fire HD is a very nice tablet and rumor has it you can find it on eBay for under $200 if you look closely.

IamSam 01-12-2013 10:32 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone! I'd been thinking about getting the Kindle Flame, but someone had told me it was actually harder to read than the old Kindle. Come to find out that my informant can't even turn on his laptop without help, so I'm taking his advice with a cup of salt.

Dagney 01-12-2013 10:57 PM

I actually have a Kindle Fire that I don't use anymore - and am looking to sell for 100.00. If you're interested - please let me know :)

Happy Monkey 01-13-2013 10:59 AM

The Kindle Fire has a glossy screen, so it is harder to read in sunlight than an e-paper Kindle. But it is backlit, so you can read it in the dark; though some people get eyestrain from reading backlit screens.

Most importantly, if you want to do more than read books, the Kindle Fire has color - and apps. That's the main difference.

IamSam 01-13-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 847682)
The Kindle Fire has a glossy screen, so it is harder to read in sunlight than an e-paper Kindle. But it is backlit, so you can read it in the dark; though some people get eyestrain from reading backlit screens.

Most importantly, if you want to do more than read books, the Kindle Fire has color - and apps. That's the main difference.

Thanks, HM! I don't like to read anything in bright sunlight - it hurts my eyes. I got eyestrain trying to read my old Kindle in bed, although I can read "real" books in bed with no problem, so the backlighting might be more good for me than bad.

@Dagney - So, just why do you want to sell your Kindle Fire, young lady? Hmmmm? :eyebrow:

:D

Dagney 01-13-2013 07:42 PM

Because Santa brought me an iPad and I can do all things on the the Apple Box o' Happiness :)

I actually REALLY like it - it's a good tool for what it does - and the fact that there are apps available for it makes it pretty awesome :)

Lola Bunny 01-13-2013 08:09 PM

Which version is your Fire?