The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What I Learned Today (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9981)

Elspode 02-02-2006 03:30 PM

You have to admire Nature for making those functions autonomic so that stupid people could continue to live, too. After all, we have to get our entertainment from *somewhere*.

MaggieL 02-02-2006 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenFairy
I learned that the group of software developers I work with have pretty much no idea what they are doing - no concept of life-cycle development, or CMMI Level III practices and procedures...

So...you're a recent CompSci grad? :-)

Welcome to the real world. That red pill is a bitch, ain't it?

Pie 02-02-2006 04:31 PM

Today, I learned about the paintbrush "copy format" button in MS PowerPoint.
Yes, I am a PowerPoint engineer. Haven't touched a wrench, fiber stripper or circuit in far too long. :sniff:

Beestie 02-02-2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dov
I learnt that the hardest thing for a man to say is say nothing.

Apparently not.

Beestie 02-02-2006 05:28 PM

I learned that on December 16, 2006, Aliantha will move into 4th place.

limey 02-02-2006 06:04 PM

I didn't learn it today but that railway thing happens at the borders between Western and Eastern Europe. Initially I thought "Welllllll, Russia and all the ex-soviet states are going to have to change their rail guage to fit in", then I worked out that there were probably far fewer rail-miles in Western than Eastern Europe. I learnt all this on a frosty night, hmmmm, it must have been 30th December 1992.

capnhowdy 02-02-2006 06:04 PM

That the IRS is not symathetic to those of us in the 31% bracket.

And that YOU WILL PAY THESE SUMBITCHES!

xoxoxoBruce 02-02-2006 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode
You have to admire Nature for making those functions autonomic so that stupid people could continue to live, too. After all, we have to get our entertainment from *somewhere*.

Rather intelligent design, huh. :lol:

Rock Steady 02-02-2006 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
... learned that there are two different sorts of rail roads in India-one is regular sized and the other is smaller, track is different. You can't use both tracks for the same locomotive. This means that at times freight (or, people) must dis-embark from one train to re-embark on another simply because the track has changed. ...
:)

This is similar to what I've been dealing with in the SF Bay Area. Many trips I have to change from the "heavy rail" CalTrain to the "light rail" BART. Sometimes I take the Muni train between them.

BART covers the whole Bay Area except here in Santa Clara county. The debate is whether to extend BART to here or build heavy rail up to BART. To build BART costs 4 times as much per mile than heavy rail.

Santa Clara county really needs a good connection to the East Bay. Now, I have to take the Caltrain up the penisula to the city and BART over to Oakland for games (or my previous job). It takes over 2 hours for a 50 mile trip.

Going home, I BART down the east bay and taxi home for $60. I'd like a rail link for that segment, even if I have to change trains.

FallenFairy 02-03-2006 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieL
So...you're a recent CompSci grad? :-)

Welcome to the real world. That red pill is a bitch, ain't it?

OH BUT YES!!!
Suddenly I feel like independent wealth would have been a better choice! LOL ;)

Last night I learned that my cat ABSOLUTELY strategically chooses to yurk on the second stair of my home when she is pissed at me. BLAH. :(

MaggieL 02-03-2006 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beestie
Apparently not.

If my memory doesn't fail me and dov is the same dov I met at a Cellar GTG something like 15 years ago, she's female.

My Cellar handle was JaniceL in those days...

MaggieL 02-03-2006 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenFairy
Suddenly I feel like independent wealth would have been a better choice!

Just one of the many Important Things They Fail To Teach In School.

Of course, if they knew that simple fact, they wouldn't be teaching undergrads.

Trilby 02-03-2006 03:16 PM

OK. Today I learned that I am indeed LD when it comes to math, and given my current situation (being sued) I guess that's a no-brainer. BUT! I did learn something useful today as well! I learned that over and over again, humanity (esp. the rich and snotty part of humanity) makes the same mistake over and over! If you take land away from the small farmer, you grow a revolution! Easy, peasy, japaneasy! A charm, every time. SIGH. NO one reads their history. Pity.

xoxoxoBruce 02-03-2006 03:57 PM

Not if you give him a 40 hr job at a decent wage. Offer that and he'll RUN from that little farm faster than you can grab the deed. Farming is hard work that takes a special temperment :nuts:

Trilby 02-03-2006 05:16 PM

well, bruce, you are right.