The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The after-effects of a disaster (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9113)

richlevy 09-15-2005 12:36 AM

I have a crankable lantern and radio you can borrow. I also have a candlelier 3 candle lantern.

You're also welcome to borrow the Red Devil grill if you want. It has more cooking area than a camp stove.

xoxoxoBruce 09-15-2005 01:34 AM

When they pass out the MREs, grab all the brownies you can. When you open them they SPARKLE like the 7 Dwarf's diamond mine.
I swear..... it's beautiful. :mg:

xoxoxoBruce 09-15-2005 03:16 PM

I haven't heard one word about the Cajuns out in the swamps? :question:

capnhowdy 09-15-2005 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I haven't heard one word about the Cajuns out in the swamps? :question:

A coonass can survive nearly anything. I dated one for a while. They're prolly making a party out of it. Very high spirited and positive folks. And the women are usually VERY SEXY. Whew... I better not go there..... ;)

Troubleshooter 09-16-2005 08:45 AM

Amtrak is running through Hammond now, and had you thought about having plthijinx pick you up and I'll meet you at HDC?

wolf 09-16-2005 01:20 PM

We've worked through a bunch of permutations ... and came up with driving as the best option (I did see that AMTRAK was now running into Hammond, but that leaves us still needing a vehicle there). Also to get to Hammond means Phila-NY-Chicago-Hammond, and the ability to carry less gear.

Elspode 09-16-2005 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Please be careful down there...and say hi to Dubya for me.

wolf 09-17-2005 12:31 AM

We are go for the deployment ... which now may be three days, or five days. I don't know if I'll have any kind of internet access down there, but intend to keep a journal and to take as many pictures as possible. I'm trying to decide whether to take the digital camera, which needs some level of babysitting, or just get a bunch of disposable cameras and get photoCDs from the developer. I have a wee bit of time to get that figured out before we leave (probably on Thursday).

Our accomodations are rumored to be some kind of "air conditioned tent city" and since we'll be working with emergency services folks coming off the disaster areas, won't be anyplace involving mud, muck, or water. Well, there might be some water involvement ... some of the housing is supposed to be on a cruise ship. We'll be working under FEMA's auspices.

xoxoxoBruce 09-17-2005 06:12 PM

So you'll be checking the emergency services folks to make sure their heads are still screwed on tight? :rollhappy

wolf 09-18-2005 11:05 PM

Yep. And loosening them if they're on too tight.

I've already re-packed twice, and I'm not supposed to be leaving until Thursday ... I'm good at being prepared for all eventualities, but not very good at being prepared for all eventualities that can fit in one moderately sized duffle bag (I haven't actually been limited on the amount of stuff I can bring, but I'm trying to deal with my natural tendency to overpack).

And after all of this, you know I'll forget my toothbrush ...

zippyt 09-18-2005 11:45 PM

Take LOTS of Bug dope , oh and those bdu's that you are buying , make them blue or black or sum such , NOT camo , if it is even REMOTLY a Millatary camp you CAN'T wear camo unless you are millatary !!!!!!!
Oh and if it IS a millatary operation DON'T think you have the RIGHT to do and go where you want , they AIN'T used to that !!!

Good luck , god(s) speed , and stay SANE for your and ALL of our sakes !!!

richlevy 09-18-2005 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
Yep. And loosening them if they're on too tight.

I've already re-packed twice, and I'm not supposed to be leaving until Thursday ... I'm good at being prepared for all eventualities, but not very good at being prepared for all eventualities that can fit in one moderately sized duffle bag (I haven't actually been limited on the amount of stuff I can bring, but I'm trying to deal with my natural tendency to overpack).

And after all of this, you know I'll forget my toothbrush ...

Any idea how long you will be down there? If you have a postal address down there, let us know it.

wolf 09-19-2005 10:19 AM

Somewhere between zero, three, and five days.

I have been told all three in the last week.

(I didn't buy any camo BDUs, stuck with the solids for this trip. Woodland makes my ass look bigger.)

Troubleshooter 09-19-2005 02:23 PM

PM me if you want my cell number in case you need anything.

wolf 09-20-2005 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
Somewhere between zero, three, and five days.

Make that zero ...

We heard today (Monday) around 4PM that our deployment to Louisiana is cancelled.

On the one hand, I was very prepared, both mentally and in terms of having my packing done, to go. (I actually accept responsibility for the Stand Down Order, on the logic that like only getting a snowday from school if you've studied for the test, we don't get to go because I, the mistress procrastinator, was ready to be out the door at a moment's notice!!)

On the other hand, Louisiana may have a visit from Hurricane Rita, so it's likely for the best.

The Louisiana State CISM coordinator was very impressed with my team's willingess to come down to help out, so in the sense of our reputation, a lot of good was accomplished, and the option is open for them to request us later on down the line, should a need arise.

Thanks everyone, for your thoughts, prayers, well-wishes, and offers of support!!