The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Poll: how much music plays in your head? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32616)

Undertoad 03-08-2017 06:12 PM

Poll: how much music plays in your head?

Please to answer poll above thank you.

Clodfobble 03-08-2017 07:47 PM

The bigger issue is that if it's playing it my head, it's also usually coming out of my mouth. Fortunately I spend most of my day alone.

zippyt 03-08-2017 09:06 PM

it depends on the day ,
if im feeling good , shits going right all is good and fine with the universe ,
yeah man theres tunes , good tunes , keep ya moving stuff

Other wise im concentrating to hard to unfuck the problem im dealing with

xoxoxoBruce 03-08-2017 09:21 PM

If it's there, it's not as loud as the tinnitus, so I don't know.:(

Pico and ME 03-08-2017 11:32 PM

LOL, me too Bruce.

Sometimes, at night, if I'm reading or just being very still and quiet, the tinnitus sounds like the walls are picking up a faint radio frequency.

Mountain Mule 03-09-2017 12:08 AM

I just can't get those night time coyote songs out of my mind...

During the day, the music playing in my head generally comes from what I happen to be streaming on my computer or what I'm listening to on my i-phone. If I go outside, it all goes staccato to the beat of the rancher next door shooting at the prairie dogs that infest his fields. "The hills are alive..." WHAM! :eek:

Wait. I guess they're not.

Griff 03-09-2017 06:08 AM

About a quarter seems right. I do wonder if my tinnitus has interfered with the production it as it used to be more...

footfootfoot 03-09-2017 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 983853)
LOL, me too Bruce.

Sometimes, at night, if I'm reading or just being very still and quiet, the tinnitus sounds like the walls are picking up a faint radio frequency.

Oh god, I'm constantly thinking I'm having auditory hallucinations, sometimes I can hear that when there is another faint sound and they seem to harmonize or something and then I'm searching for the source of the music.

Sometimes, there actually is music, my kids will say, yeah, it's the neighbors.

lumberjim 03-09-2017 10:04 AM

I always have a song in my head. I wake up to them. Yesterday it was Hootie and the Blowfish, 'I only wanna be with you'.. .but the Ted version, where he sings it karaoke and only uses vowels.

Flint 03-09-2017 02:21 PM

All day, every day.
Might appear random, but always attributable back to an event which precipitated the song.

Could be a few words out of a sentence someone said made a partial match, either semantically or thematically, to the words of a song I know.

Could be the words to the song are an answer to (or analysis of) an emotional event I'm wrestling with. This means that my subconscious is trying so hard to help me figure out a problem, it literally sends a message to my consciousness, encoded in bits of data from my memory banks.

The reason I'm stuck on a song is usually word-based, but can also be a rhythm or melody I've become obsessed with. It just sounds like the most captivating piece of music, and I go over and it again and again, trying to decode the magic that makes it catchy.

I heard "Sunset Grill" by Don Henley at the grocery store on Monday morning, and two parts of that song have held a fascination for me all week:
1) The keyboard phrase that opens the song, and prefaces the verse that comes after the keyboard solo. This is a very creepy phrase, and falls under the category of, "how do you write something like that?"
2) The bridge section that prefaces the keyboard solo. I love dramatically up-transposing 1980s bridge sections. I try to sing this in the shower (tuesday, wednesday, and thursday), although it goes way above my vocal range.

I don't remember if there have been other songs this week.
Maybe only one song at a time is held in that "repeat" file.

Flint 03-09-2017 02:35 PM

*It goes above Henley's vocal range, too. He's no more capable of hitting those notes than he is of fulfilling the (unconvincing) pledge to his girlfriend that, "one day soon, we're gonna get in that car and get out of here." That is never going to happen, just like he's never going to be able to hit those high notes. He's fooling himself.

Maybe I'm fooling myself, too.

Flint 03-09-2017 02:39 PM

*That keyboard phrase is the Mona Lisa. Is it smiling or frowning?

(now listening to the song again)

Gravdigr 03-09-2017 03:22 PM

When my buddy's air conditioner is on, and I'm there by myself, I can hear music.

glatt 03-09-2017 03:31 PM

I don't hear music much, but I hear rhythms and patterns of words. If a phrase pops into my head, I might realize that it's been repeating itself for half a minute or so before I get annoyed at it and consciously stop it. But once in a while a melody will pop into my head for no reason and get stuck there. Every couple days.

Undertoad 03-09-2017 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 983893)
I heard "Sunset Grill" by Don Henley at the grocery store on Monday morning, and two parts of that song have held a fascination for me all week:
1) The keyboard phrase that opens the song, and prefaces the verse that comes after the keyboard solo. This is a very creepy phrase, and falls under the category of, "how do you write something like that?"

This intrigged me, so I investigated. Benmont Tench is the keys player and gets a songwriting credit.

Benmont Tench is a Heartbreaker, as in Tom Petty and the *. But y'know what... Benmont Tench doesn't have one songwriting credit on any Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers albums.

So maybe Mr. Tench had this one in his back pocket for a while, and Tom always told him that it was a little too much for anything in their catalogue.

Just speculatin'

Quote:

2) The bridge section that prefaces the keyboard solo. I love dramatically up-transposing 1980s bridge sections. I try to sing this in the shower (tuesday, wednesday, and thursday), although it goes way above my vocal range.
It is the best section of the song.

I mark the song down, though, for two aspects.

1) It up-transposes again, this time by one note, for the final bit. I just personally find that to be a hokey songwriting trick most of the time. (It shares that trick with "My Baby Takes the Morning Train", for example.)

2) As with Mr. Phil Collins before him, here you have a drummer who over-employs the shitty drum machines of the early 80s. Not one real drum on the song. Sir are you not offended.