The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Gerrymandering (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31714)

xoxoxoBruce 02-22-2016 08:57 PM

Gerrymandering

Gerrymandering is a particularly distasteful maneuver politicians use to influence elections in favor of a party or even a powerful incumbent.

http://cellar.org/2015/How_to_Steal_...dering_svg.jpg

The scumbag politicians in North Carolina have created #1, the worst of the worst.

http://cellar.org/2015/Gerrymandering.jpg

Beest 02-23-2016 07:20 AM

Think of the hours of hard work in finely crafting that form, I vote for it being art, it certainly represents something beyond it's base physical appearance, the lust for power beyond reason?

good job they didn't have anything better to do :eyebrow:

Happy Monkey 02-23-2016 12:28 PM

My rule: If you cut the pattern out of wood, and then put a rubber band around it, the area in the rubber band (not counting area that is out of the jurisdiction, or substantial bodies of water) cannot be more than 150% of the area of the wood.

I'm sure it could be gamed a bit, but perhaps less.

BigV 02-23-2016 04:01 PM

There are ONE HUNDRED counties in North Carolina.

Wow, those seem like they must be tiny counties.

tw 02-23-2016 04:06 PM

Once upon a time, most American politicians were moderates - not anti-Amiercan and power hungry extremists.

Griff 02-23-2016 06:41 PM

Prove it.

xoxoxoBruce 04-09-2016 11:25 AM

I keep seeing arguments on gerrymandering saying it does or doesn't make a difference in the outcome. After all, Citizens United only spent 30 million after the last census presented the opportunity, on gerrymandering. So the obvious path for me is to look at the structure and results for my residence, because who's more important than me. Rhetorical, no question mark, shut up. http://cellar.org/2012/bwekk.gif

Looking at the districts laid out for the PA House and Senate, and how they changed in the last redistricting, they look pretty reasonable. They reflect the expected 60/40 split in the election results.

http://cellar.org/2016/palesislature.jpg

Now looking at the district carved out for the US House of Representatives definitely gives me a WTF feeling. It's pretty obvious somebody did this with intent, and likely to benefit the carver/his friends. The resulting elections give a pretty good indication. Now instead of a 60/40 split shown in the state elections, there's a 72/28 split. That's a significant shift from the state's divide.

http://cellar.org/2016/Dist 7.jpg

So to me the answer is yes, it does make a difference, and when the Republicans were in the position to do so, they orchestrated the redistricting to insure the results would be skewed in their favor.
I mean just look at it, that shit can't be an accident, it was carved with a surgeon's precision. I believe with ulterior motive because... politicians.

http://cellar.org/2016/PA 7th Cong Dist.jpg

What the fuck? Who the fuck? Why the fuck? I think I know the answers and highly doubt it's an isolated case.

Flint 04-20-2016 05:40 PM

The new gerrymandering (or cherry-picking) is the database algorithms they use to scrub voter registrations. Used expertly by the Florida establishment to capture that razor-thin margin Bush needed in 2000. There might be some more recent examples in the news.

tw 04-22-2016 10:11 AM

Gerrymanering is how scumbag liberals and conservatives get elected at the expense of educated and intelligent moderates. That is its only purpose - to subvert the American political system for the benefit of those who make the worst politicians.

Aliantha 04-27-2016 12:53 AM

OK, here's an example of gerrymandering which was successful here in Australia, but particularly in my state of Qld.

The party at the time who happened to be conservatives, divided the state up into equal sized portions for the electorates, so basically, every electorate was the same size. Whilst this might seem fair, it actually was heavily tipped in favour of the conservative land owners at the time. Some of the electorates only had 6 people living in them thanks to them basically covering a whole cattle station. So in effect, there were a whole heap of electorates which only needed to benefit one person who would represent their families direct best personal interests in the parliament. Naturally these farmers weren't required to even show up in parliament, they just gave their proxy to the party. They actually didn't even have to be a party representative. They could run as an independent, get voted in by their wife, then just give their preference to the conservatives.

It was a dark period. Only about 40 years ago.

glatt 04-27-2016 07:14 AM

Equal size by land area? That's totally fucked up.

xoxoxoBruce 04-27-2016 01:25 PM

Here, it's supposed to be by population.

Happy Monkey 04-27-2016 04:29 PM

The Senate is a bit closer to the "by land area" paradigm.

It brings to mind the "red map" images we've seen (and will probably see again in a few months) showing all of the acres that vote Republican.

BigV 04-27-2016 06:40 PM

The very thread that roped me into the cellar. :-)

tw 04-27-2016 07:06 PM

I once thought gerrymandering was a Nazi wandering lost on a battlefield. Apparently that war came home and survives. It is still found where extremists exist.

Aliantha 04-28-2016 01:05 AM

You're right Bruce. Generally speaking it is, and it has now become that after the conservative government was finally ousted. Electorates were redefined and it became a level playing field again. More or less anyway.

xoxoxoBruce 04-19-2017 02:49 AM

The perfect solution for Gerrymandering the politicians will never use.

xoxoxoBruce 08-29-2017 11:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Things are not always what they seem...

xoxoxoBruce 02-01-2018 06:53 AM

It looks like the shit may hit the fan.
Quote:

Last week, the Pennsylvania State Supreme Court ruled that the state’s Congressional districts were unfairly gerrymandered — that is, drawn to give the state’s Republican party an advantage — under Pennsylvania’s state constitution. This was a blow to the GOP, as Pennsylvania is widely seen as one of the most heavily gerrymandered states in the country. The ruling made two things clear: That the map would not be allowed in any further federal elections, including the upcoming May primaries, and that if the state legislature didn’t do it, they would. Now the state legislature has said it’s not going to do it.
Quote:

Of course, this may all be moot: The Supreme Court has all but told us that they’ve got their own decision about gerrymandering on the way, and, well, let’s just say the signs aren’t good for the Pennsylvania Senate’s side of the argument.
'bout time. :eyebrow:

Undertoad 02-03-2018 12:07 PM

In a highly offensive response, the Rs have accused one of the Supreme Court justices of being biased...

...claiming he should have recused himself, in the court case where it was decided that gerrymandering is out of control...

...because in 2015, when he was a Supreme Court candidate, he made public statements saying that the gerrymandering was out of control.

~ un be lievable ~

(paywalled philly.com article)

(non-paywalled buzzfeed article)

xoxoxoBruce 02-03-2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

~ un be lievable ~
I disagree, in light of the state GOPs actions in recent years it's not only believable, but expected. :mad:

tw 02-10-2018 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It took a Supreme Court to get politicians to redistrict in a responsible manner. This new GOP map redistricts mostly by county lines. Those evil judges did it again.

Undertoad 02-10-2018 10:07 AM

It looks fair except for Philly and region.

For the 1st District, it looks like they've made a crazy zig zag near the "wa" in "Delaware" -- do we know anyone who lives around there --

best guesses?

16 = Lancaster turned blue by including Reading
11 = red, even though it includes Harrisburg
6 = red
8 = don't know - fight between the ABE blues and the central Bucks reds
7 = a crazy mash
13 = blue, but will drink hoity-toity beer from time to time
1 = permanent blue
2 = permanent blue

Undertoad 02-10-2018 10:13 AM

...so in the previous map the Ds won 5 districts, now they will win... 6 I suppose, since Pittsburgh 14 is blue, and they split the burbs.

So the battlegrounds for the state will always be the Philly burbs.

it gives me a tear... almost makes me want to... vote

nah

Undertoad 02-10-2018 10:19 AM

"Computer, move right. move in. enhance. move right. move in. move in. enhance. enhance. crop and save."

http://cellar.org/2017/phila-gerrymander-map.png

wtf is this bullshite

a bit between the 1st and 7th looks like the outline of Chester Creek so... xoB did they really just cut you right into the 1st District :lol:

Griff 02-11-2018 08:07 AM

My district is much more sensible and I may be rid of the drug dealing Tom Marino.

Griff 02-11-2018 08:15 AM

They did get cute with Luzurne and Carbon counties so somebody might be getting screwed.

tw 02-11-2018 12:29 PM

Erie and Armstrong counties also have little in common - need not be in the same Congressional district.

xoxoxoBruce 02-11-2018 10:37 PM

Having in common shouldn't be a consideration.

xoxoxoBruce 02-12-2018 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So touching...

tw 02-14-2018 12:42 AM

Governor rejected the plan. Looks like courts will change those voting borders because state house and senate have too many wacko extremists. Only moderates can get something useful done.

Gerrymandering means moderates cannot get elected to a Congress. So courts must fix it. Expect wacko extremists talk show hosts to bad mouth the courts - since wacko extremists voters worship talk show hosts and hate moderates.

Undertoad 02-16-2018 08:14 PM

http://cellar.org/2017/wolfmap.png

Griff 02-17-2018 07:45 AM

My district is worse, is Philly better?

Griff 02-17-2018 07:55 AM

too many counties broken up and we keep that fuckface Marino... maybe more competitive though which would be the end of the troll

Undertoad 02-17-2018 09:05 AM

Philadelphia detail:

http://cellar.org/2017/wolfphillymap.jpg

I realize now how hard it is for us nincompoops to figure out whether the map is fair. The GOP one looked more fair at first, but failed a lot of deeper analysis.

It's weird how this one does divvy up Delaware County's reds and blues.

Gov. Wolf brought in a Tufts U. Expert to say that it was fair. Apparently the map "showed no partisan skew when compared to more than a billion randomly generated maps."

(That actually sets off a skepticism alarm bell in my head, because I don't know whether "average" compared to "random" is what is needed. Certainly a *directed* computer-generated map could easily divvy up the state 50-50. Certainly a *random* computer-generated map will draw up a lot of 50-50s. How far off 50-50 does the map need to be, to be considered non-partisan? 52-48 may be statistically average, but it wins elections.)

The bad news: after the next census, a new map will almost certainly be required...

tw 02-17-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1004214)
Gov. Wolf brought in a Tufts U. Expert to say that it was fair. Apparently the map "showed no partisan skew when compared to more than a billion randomly generated maps."

There have long been well proven mathematical statistics for defining what is fair verses what is partisan. Existing districting was measured by these numbers as massively partisan. All conversations about what is fair and what is not, without numbers, can only be subjective. Subjective means useless. A numerical specification must exist - and it has for a long time. But too many want to discuss this stuff using a subjective (also called emotional) perspective. Then the problem is never defined and nothing is solved.

Undertoad 02-17-2018 09:51 AM

What struck me was that the Tufts U Mathematician had advocated ways of preventing gerrymandering using math ... but this particular Monte Carlo method wasn't one of the ways she advocated (AFAIK, after a quick review).

xoxoxoBruce 02-17-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1003858)

a bit between the 1st and 7th looks like the outline of Chester Creek so... xoB did they really just cut you right into the 1st District :lol:

As near as I can tell I'd be in 6 instead of 1 on the Wolf map.

tw 02-17-2018 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1004220)
As near as I can tell I'd be in 6 instead of 1 on the Wolf map.

Does not matter. I believe the courts will now define districts because to many politicians are wacko extremists - not moderates. Only moderates can hammer out solutions.

Griff 02-19-2018 06:36 PM

Supremes released a new map.

Undertoad 02-19-2018 06:46 PM

http://cellar.org/2017/court-map.png

Undertoad 02-19-2018 06:47 PM

Phila closeup (it's an image, don't use the + and - controls)

http://cellar.org/2017/court-map-phila.png

Griff 02-19-2018 06:56 PM

My district includes State College now...

Undertoad 02-26-2018 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1004214)

So now the Times is saying that the math is in, and by this method of determining whether a map is fair, the new map isn't:

http://cellar.org/2017/newmapsimulations.png

But maybe it's tricky and we don't understand it:

Quote:

The strong Democratic showing compared with Mr. Chen’s simulations doesn’t necessarily indicate that the map is a Democratic gerrymander. For one, the simulations aren’t perfect. And they aren’t necessarily representative of realistic partisan-blind maps. To take a concrete example: The simulations often split the city of Pittsburgh, something few human map-drawers would choose to do given the requirement to avoid unnecessarily splitting municipalities.
Over all, the new court-ordered map comes very close to achieving partisan symmetry in an evenly divided state.

The seeming contradiction between the analysis based on partisan symmetry and one based on simulated nonpartisan congressional districts gets at the heart of what may be the next big debate in gerrymandering: whether nonpartisan maps should strive for partisan symmetry, or whether they should try to avoid political considerations altogether.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/26/u...ania-maps.html

xoxoxoBruce 02-26-2018 11:31 AM

This NYT article breaks it down district by district.

Quote:

Based on recent election results, the new congressional map comes very close to achieving partisan balance.

Happy Monkey 02-26-2018 02:22 PM

Is the goal the center of the randomized grouping, or is the goal zero? R+1.5 is still favoring Republicans, and that 1.5 bonus can translate to an even bigger benefit in actual representation:
Quote:

In the average 2016 contest on the new map, Democrats would have carried an average of 8.4 districts (out of 18), even though Democrats won the statewide popular vote in the average contest. The median congressional district favored the Republicans by a point in the average 2016 contest.
Over 50% Democratic voters becomes less than 50% Democratic representatives - with the NEW map.

As I see it, the grouping is the leeway that Republicans would have had when making the map themselves, while still having cover claiming that their advantage was structurally inherent in the urban/rural divide.

But if deliberately designing a map with the intent to minimize partisan advantage, the goal is zero.

If they hadn't pushed for an even more obscene advantage, they could have easily gotten away with R+6 to even R+10. But they forced the court to make the map, instead, and will have to settle for R+1.5.

xoxoxoBruce 02-26-2018 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 1004621)
Is the goal the center of the randomized grouping, or is the goal zero?

That's the 64 dollar question.

Quote:

In general, partisan balance is not usually a goal when redistricting. You could certainly argue that partisan balance and maximizing the number of competitive districts should be among the criteria, but, in general, they are not. Instead, a nonpartisan map usually means a partisan-blind map. It strives for compact districts that respect communities of interest, with little regard for the partisan outcome.

A decision to pursue partisan balance in Pennsylvania would be particularly significant because Democrats are at a clear geographic disadvantage. They waste a lopsided number of votes in heavily Democratic Philadelphia and Pittsburgh; the Republicans don’t waste as many votes in their best areas, and so the rest of the state (and therefore its districts) leans Republican. As a result, a partisan-blind map will tend to favor the Republicans by a notable amount.
Quote:

As I see it, the grouping is the leeway that Republicans would have had when making the map themselves, while still having cover claiming that their advantage was structurally inherent in the urban/rural divide.
That claim wouldn't hold up, this is the PA 7th district (where I live), the Republicans created.

Happy Monkey 02-26-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

That claim wouldn't hold up, this is the PA 7th district (where I live), the Republicans created.
Yes, but if they hadn't been so greedy, and put their map as a whole in the +6 to +10 range, they could have pointed to the simulation evidence and said that they were covered on that metric, and the court might not have gone through, district by district, looking for issues.

(note, this is in the context of when the court asked them to resubmit, after the simulation evidence had been introduced, i I have my timeline right).

xoxoxoBruce 02-26-2018 08:13 PM

This was back in 2010 and probably the worst district in the country. But you're right, if they had been more subtle they wouldn't have become the laughing stock of the country / admired for their chutzpah(depending on which side you're on), and drawn the ire of the courts.

Happy Monkey 03-19-2018 05:15 PM

Looks like the new map is in place for this election.

Undertoad 04-30-2018 01:54 PM

Philly.com (paywalled): Pa. gerrymandering's surprise co-conspirators: Democrats

This map we've been choking on? In 2011, one in three Democrats voted in favor of it. Without their votes, it couldn't have been the final map. Why'd they do it... philly.com says, local interests prevailed. The state Ds were disorganized, so local Ds were happy to go along with the plan if it protected their own district.

Flint 04-30-2018 02:12 PM

big if true

If democrats don't always agree on everything, then how can we trust anything they say?

Griff 05-16-2018 06:50 AM

It turns out my new district is a few more points pro-Trump than my old district. That means we saddle the rest of you with Opioid Tom Marino, my apologies.