The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What the Hell Were They Studying? Not Science... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=10928)

Elspode 06-04-2006 10:58 PM

What the Hell Were They Studying? Not Science...

LUTZ, Fla. - Two college students were found dead inside a large, deflated helium balloon after apparently pulling it down and crawling inside it, officials said.

The deaths of Jason Ackerman and Sara Rydman, both 21, appear to be accidental, Hillsborough County Sheriff's Maj. Bob Schrader said.

Their bodies were found Saturday partially inside a deflated helium balloon at the entrance of a condominium complex a few miles north of Tampa. The 8-foot-diameter balloon was used to advertise the complex.

"It was more a fun thing they thought they were doing," said Linda Rydman, whose daughter was found dead. "You know how you blow up the balloon and suck the helium."

The county medical examiner said Sunday that the cause of death won't be released for six weeks, until toxicology results come back.

Inhaling helium can quickly lead to brain damage and death from lack of oxygen, according to the Compressed Gas Association, which develops safety standards in the gas industry.

Ibby 06-05-2006 02:41 AM

Wow, what a way to go. The last thing they heard was mickey mouse's death cry. Or maybe Geddy Lee's.

NoBoxes 06-05-2006 02:53 AM

It seems that a suicide pact was ruled out. Apparently, the deceased did not check the OSHA Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) in the condominium office before messing with the balloon! It's a crying shame when thinning the herd means taking out people in the prime of life. :sniff:

Ibby 06-05-2006 03:34 AM

Can you say, Darwin Award?

Beestie 06-05-2006 03:49 AM

I'm not sure what they were studying but what they got, unfortunately, was a lesson in organic chemistry.

BigV 06-05-2006 10:09 AM

Am I the only one who remembers being smacked on the head when I put a plastic bag over my face as a child? "You'll suffocate!" Yeah, right, mom. I guess she was right. Moe-rons.

Urbane Guerrilla 06-05-2006 05:32 PM

Second the notion, Ibram. Any alcohol involvement? -- that might knock them to second or third runner-up. But doing this cold sober is definitely Darwin Award material.

Happy Monkey 06-05-2006 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
But doing this cold sober is definitely Darwin Award material.

Definitely. In more ways than one, actually. First, a human ought to be smarter than that. Second, it would be nice if our "suffocation" instinct were triggered by O2 deprivation as well as CO2 buildup. Though I suppose these deaths won't do much for the latter...

xoxoxoBruce 06-05-2006 08:51 PM

21 years old and obviously not prepared to make rational choices. :headshake

Elspode 06-05-2006 11:19 PM

I just pray that they had the presence of mind to sing "We are the Lollipop League" before they succumbed.

marichiko 06-05-2006 11:59 PM

I guess they thought they'd get a super shot of "laughing gas" like at the dentist's or something. Maybe someone should sue the dentist they went to. :right:

As a former victim of O2 deprivation, I can tell you that there last moments were probably hallucinatory and they didn't know what hit them. Its unlikely they suffered. There's that much at least.

Poor, dumb kids. :(

wolf 06-06-2006 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode
I just pray that they had the presence of mind to sing "We are the Lollipop League" before they succumbed.

*phweeet!!*

Flag on the play!

Loss of pop culture yardage ... that's "Lullaby League" or "Lollipop Guild."

Offense has to rewatch the movie before it's shown on TCM on Thanksgiving Night.

Resume play.

*phweeet!!*

Griff 06-06-2006 06:35 AM

We represent the Lullaby League, The Lullaby League, The Lullaby League
And in the name of the Lullaby League,
We wish to welcome you to Munchkinland.
We represent the Lollypop Guild, The Lollypop Guild, The Lollypop Guild
And in the name of the Lollypop Guild,
We wish to welcome you to Muchkinland.
We welcome you to Munchkinland, Tra la la la la la la
From now on you'll be history.
You'll be history, you'll be history, you'll be history.
And we will glorify your name.
You will be a bust, be a bust, be a bust
In the Hall of Fame!

Kitsune 06-06-2006 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram
Or maybe Geddy Lee's.

:lol:

Salesmen!

Elspode 06-06-2006 11:24 AM

I am completely embarassed, and am presently flogging myself with a pair of red and white striped stockings.