The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Atlanta Water Crisis (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15655)

Kitsune 10-15-2007 03:17 PM

Atlanta Water Crisis

This is a slightly complicated situation. It is estimated that Atlanta has less than 120 days of drinking water left.

Quote:

That's three months before there's not enough water for more than 3 million metro Atlantans to take showers, flush their toilets and cook. Three months before there's not enough water in parts of the Chattahoochee River for power plants to make the steam necessary to generate electricity. Three months before part of the river runs dry.
A coal plant that won't pay to lower its intake pipe, lawsuits from Alabama and Florida concerning river depth and boat drafts, USACE accidentally releasing 22 billion gallons of water, endangered river life, and a metro area that depends on a single source of water...it's a mess.

Well, at least Coke won't waste 1 million gallons on making snow.

Aliantha 10-15-2007 04:49 PM

Geez, and I thought where I live is having the biggest water crisis. That sounds terrible.

What has the council (local government) been doing to avert this crisis? How could it have gotten so bad?

Pie 10-15-2007 05:26 PM

Come on, hurricane!

Aliantha 10-15-2007 05:30 PM

It never rains but it pours?

xoxoxoBruce 10-15-2007 07:46 PM

Quote:

A Pepsico Inc. plant that produces Gatorade, which is the biggest water user in the city of Atlanta
Pepsico? WTF?

tw 10-16-2007 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 395426)
Geez, and I thought where I live is having the biggest water crisis. That sounds terrible.

Brown is where drought is worst this year. Looks like people north and west of Atlanta need a good book on fishery management in arrid regions.

Aliantha 10-16-2007 07:18 PM

Are you trying to be funny this time tw?

TheMercenary 10-16-2007 08:01 PM

Atlanta has had this coming for years. Same for the downstream cities and states.

tw 10-16-2007 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 395918)
Are you trying to be funny this time tw?

Perish the thought! Why would I want to make anyone smile? These are days of drought. Just as in those seven years in Egypt, we should not smile in such perilous times. Even our slaves might leave us. Put forth a proper face.

Meanwhile, the map I forgot to include.

xoxoxoBruce 10-18-2007 09:17 PM

Maine looks like a Big Dic.

tw 10-18-2007 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 396890)
Maine looks like a Big Dic.

Your right. It does look just like Urbane Guerrilla ... having the hots for Thomas Barnett.

glatt 11-15-2007 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ahh.
Much needed rain is hitting the entire east coast. Sucks to be Georgia though. It stops right at the border.

Cloud 11-15-2007 10:04 AM

weird. I live in the middle of a desert and we are not even on the map.

BUT, people waste SO much water! I lived in California in the 70s when we had severe water rationing for a while--water only turned on for a few hours in the day; saving water in your bathtub & reusing it, etc.

More can be done.

Kitsune 11-15-2007 10:13 AM

Keep on praying, Sonny, you've got a long way to go to get out of this mess.

Quote:

"Oh father, we acknowledge our wastefulness," Perdue said. "But we're doing better. And I thought it was time to acknowledge that to the creator, the provider of water and land, and to tell him that we will do better."

"We've been so busy industrializing that we've forgotten how to spiritualize," Gil Watson, senior minister at Northside United Methodist Church in Atlanta, told the crowd. "We've been so busy with our economy and what we can have and what we can possess that we've forgotten that you possess it all. Great God, this is your land. We till it for you. We are entrepreneurs for you, dear God."
But please, god, save our...carpet?

Quote:

"It's got to be worth a shot," said David Mais, 34, an Atlanta resident who is worried his carpet cleaning business could suffer from the drought.

glatt 11-15-2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 407310)
weird. I live in the middle of a desert and we are not even on the map.

Here's the link in case you want to see if it's raining in your neck of the woods. This is probably my favorite weather link, btw.