The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   McDonald's outsourcing drive-throughs (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7918)

Troubleshooter 03-11-2005 10:10 AM

McDonald's outsourcing drive-throughs

Just damn people...

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...8522172300.xml

Happy Meal orders travel 1,300 miles in name of efficiency
A Hermiston McDonald's experiment outsources drive-through window duties to a North Dakota call center
Sunday, January 23, 2005
RICHARD COCKLE

HERMISTON -- Talk about McWeird.

You can still order up a Big Mac and fries at the only drive-through McDonald's in this Eastern Oregon farming town, but you'll have to go by way of North Dakota.

That disembodied voice directing you to the next window is coming to you live from 1,300 miles away in Grand Forks.

hot_pastrami 03-11-2005 10:25 AM

Well, at least they're keeping the work (and money) in-country. If it was outsourced to India like so many other jobs, I'd say bad words.

Troubleshooter 03-11-2005 10:48 AM

Give it time...

Perry Winkle 03-11-2005 10:58 AM

Really, how long until fastfood is done 100% by machines?

You just key in your order and your bag of shit comes out of a little chute.

breakingnews 03-11-2005 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grant

It more or less is. Those self-serve machines in Amsterdam are fantastic (conveyor-belt type contraptions that rotate with sliding doors).

I imagine machines do exist that operate like coffee machines - make your choice and the bugger throws your chicken patty sandwich or breakfast burrito in an internal microwave and shakes like a lamb's tail when it's ready for consumption.

hot_pastrami 03-11-2005 11:16 AM

Quote:

True, but I think it'll be awhile before a place like McDonald's is replaced by machines. Building a machine complex enough to produce the largish menu would be expensive, and maintenance would be a bugger. Paying teenagers $5-ish an hour is still pretty economical comparatively.

But there is little doubt it will happen. The distaste of such automation will be bypassed by introducing the McVend in places like themeparks, and it'll have a limited menu. Over time they'll become more complex and more common, until existing restaurants become largely automated.

I'd give about 15-20 years, though.

Trilby 03-11-2005 11:57 AM

Maybe some day we'll all just pay for the privilege of preparing our OWN fast food. We already scan and bag our groceries...a mean feat if you've little kids with you. Our "service economy" is really a self-service economy.

Troubleshooter 03-11-2005 01:05 PM

*hindi accent* Thank you for calling Dell Tech Support... oh... I am sorry very much... Would you like to upsize that? */hindi accent*

xoxoxoBruce 03-11-2005 10:34 PM

Quote:

Yup, that's what it is. :sick:

xoxoxoBruce 03-11-2005 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
We already scan and bag our groceries...

Not a chance. Oh and I want paper AND plastic. :3eye:

BigV 03-11-2005 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
*hindi accent* Thank you for calling Dell Tech Support... oh... I am sorry very much... Would you like to upsize that? */hindi accent*

hindi=cows sacred<>mcdonalds

don't theenk so

McD's even lost a suit when it was found to have falsely represented it's frenchfries as "no animal products" when beef tallow was a part of the golden-ifying mix.

Trilby 03-12-2005 06:28 AM

Do they still use beef tallow to fry in? I think they quit that.

Troubleshooter 03-12-2005 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV

don't theenk so

It wasn't something that you had to think about quite so hard. Just go with the visual.

Besides hindi is a language, hindu is a religion.

Uryoces 03-22-2005 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV

don't theenk so

McD's even lost a suit when it was found to have falsely represented it's frenchfries as "no animal products" when beef tallow was a part of the golden-ifying mix.

I have to wonder why the vegetarian/budhist even bothered entering McDonald's. Did they not realize what was being served there [All soy protein jokes aside]?

lookout123 03-22-2005 03:38 PM

well, if you got off on protesting and being offended by stuff, and nothing fell into your path, you could always go out of your way to be offended.